Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pacman Vs Khan

• 26-02-2017 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Announced this morning.
    Funny one to call, could Khan pick away at Manny all night? In and out?
    Roach said Manny knocked out Khan a number of times sparring, but that's Roach :)
    What's everyone's opinion on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Khan wins if he doesn't get knocked out. His physical advantages, and speed will see it very difficult for Manny to win on points. The real question is just how fragile is Khan's chin, and can Manny get to it hard and clean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

walshb wrote: »
    Khan wins if he doesn't get knocked out. His physical advantages, and speed will see it very difficult for Manny to win on points. The real question is just how fragile is Khan's chin, and can Manny get to it hard and clean?

You could probably say that about all of Khans fights. Does Manny have the speed to get to Khan do you think?

You could probably say that about all of Khans fights. Does Manny have the speed to get to Khan do you think?

Little different with Manny. Khan got knocked out by bigger men than Manny. Manny isn't the one punch KO artist, Hatton aside, that some many think.

Fight night Khan should be clearly bigger, with the height and range and speed to keep Manny at distance. Manny wins from mid range. Here he has no physical mid range advantages. Khan is not Margarito or Clottey. He's no punch-bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Khan gets off the canvas four times to outpoint Manny, stumbling to the final bell. Fight is hailed a classic, Manny smiles as he announces his retirement not really giving a f*ck. Mayweather, who has been captured a few times throughout the night on the cameras laughing while his 55 IQ yes men chant "harr wurk deadicashun" claps as he makes his way into the ring, hugging Manny and patting Khan on the back. Max Kellerman asks Floyd about his return to Boxing and Floyd says the Conor fight was all a load of media bullsh*t to keep his name hot and that he planned to fight the winner of this fight all along. Khan shutouts Mayweather and is hailed an all time great. Jim Watt and Nick Halling scored the fight a majority decision win for Partick Thistle FC.

You forgot the rock comes in and lays the snackdown on bayliss triggering a potential grudge match :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Very intriguing fight tbh! Not sure what will happen! I think Pacman can get the KO though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Nice work from Khan, get well paid to be KO'ed by Canelo last May, do nothing for the next 11 months, then get well paid to be KO'ed by Manny. If he can sit still and keep his mouth shut he should then be able to get well paid to be KO'ed the **** out by Kell Brook next year.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Nice work from Khan, get well paid to be KO'ed by Canelo last May, do nothing for the next 11 months, then get well paid to be KO'ed by Manny. If he can sit still and keep his mouth shut he should then be able to get well paid to be KO'ed the **** out by Kell Brook next year.

I don't know Higgins. We all knew he was batting ko'd by Canelo, is it that obvious this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Seriously how do people still rat Khan so highly, if Danny Garcia, Lamont Peterson and Bredis Prescott could tag Khan clean Manny Pacquiao even at his age certainly will, Khan get's stopped like he always does when he fights an elite boxer Maidana aside.

Seriously how do people still rat Khan so highly, if Danny Garcia, Lamont Peterson and Bredis Prescott could tag Khan clean Manny Pacquiao even at his age certainly will, Khan get's stopped like he always does when he fights an elite boxer Maidana aside.

Look at the fighters and the type of shots that got Khan out of there. Manny does not fit the mould. Apart from a hail Mary "swing with eyes on the ground" that Manny hit the smaller Hatton (smaller than Khan) with who has he clean knocked out that resembles Khan? Manny can win, but he will need a KO. I don't think his physicality and power will gel to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Look at the fighters and the type of shots that got Khan out of there. Manny does not fit the mould. Apart from a hail Mary "swing with eyes on the ground" that Manny hit the smaller Hatton (smaller than Khan) with who has he clean knocked out that resembles Khan? Manny can win, but he will need a KO. I don't think his physicality and power will gel to get it.

Khan has little punch resistance at this stage. Manny does not need one punch ko power to knock him out. Remember how much trouble the light hitting Willie Limond gave Khan?

Khan has little punch resistance at this stage. Manny does not need one punch ko power to knock him out. Remember how much trouble the light hitting Willie Limond gave Khan?

Hence my question about his chin. Limond was years ago at LW. He showed some improvements after this. Really, we don't know about the chin as regards what Manny can actually land with given his style and inferior size. The KO loss to Canelo? C'mon, that shot would have dropped a horse...Manny will not generate near that power, nor will he throw that type of short.

Manny can easily win this on the cards too lets not forget. And I think it's a certainty he drops Khan at least once. He should get the stoppage, whether a clean KO is another matter. I'd love if Khan won, means nothing to Manny's legacy and Khan gets so much sh*t...some justified but he's a fine fighter.

Burial. wrote: »
    Manny can easily win this on the cards too lets not forget. And I think it's a certainty he drops Khan at least once. He should get the stoppage, whether a clean KO is another matter. I'd love if Khan won, he gets so much sh*t, some justified but he's a fine fighter.

I can't see a Manny points win. Too short to get to Khan enough, plus Khan can box. Height, reach, range, speed, and I reckon enough pop to get Manny's attention.

Manny 3-1 on. Khan the underdog...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Seriously, you're still peddling this line?

Hence my question about his chin. Limond was years ago at LW. He showed some improvements after this. Really, we don't know about the chin as regards what Manny can actually land with given his style and inferior size. The KO loss to Canelo? C'mon, that shot would have dropped a horse...Manny will not generate near that power, nor will he throw that type of short.

He doesn't need to generate the kind of power Canelo has to knock Khan out, that's the point. The Limond fight might have been years ago, but there is one constant throughout Khan's career, his chin, and given the knock outs he has suffered in recent years, his punch resistance has diminished even more.

Seriously, you're still peddling this line?

What line? My post has several lines...

What line? My post has several lines...

"hail Mary "swing with eyes on the ground"

He doesn't need to generate the kind of power Canelo has to knock Khan out, that's the point. The Limond fight might have been years ago, but there is one constant throughout Khan's career, his chin, and given the knock outs he has suffered in recent years, his punch resistance has diminished even more.

I agree. The power doesn't need to be huge. I stil think with Manny's physical dimensions he will find it difficult to land the type of power shot to really bother Khan. Manny will be reaching a bit much, and this reduces shot power.

Aesthetically speaking it had that Hail Mary swing look off it. Yes, timed and deliberate. I never said otherwise.

In slo-mo it does look a lot more deliberate. I concede. Hail Mary description not really accurate.

Edit: Post here was meant to be written in reply to pac_man's pots at the top of the page.

• Advertisement

Khan has done well to land the big fights he has had in his career, based mainly off the fact he's exciting to watch and his fights usually end with a KO. Unfortunately for him, he's usually the one on the receiving end of the KO.

Pacquaio has lost a step or 2 on his prime, so Khan has a chance to hang in there. It's a good fight for them both; Pacquaio has a great chance of another KO win, and Khan has the chance of a win over a one of the biggest names in boxing.

I agree. The power doesn't need to be huge. I stil think with Manny's physical dimensions he will find it difficult to land the type of power shot to really bother Khan. Manny will be reaching a bit much, and this reduces shot power.

If he lands a half decent shot flush, it will be enough to end Khan. I know you like Khan's hand speed, and Khan as a fighter. It's unfortunate, if he had a good chin, he could have been one of the greats. That's the thing though, very few fighters have the complete package.

If he lands a half decent shot flush, it will be enough to end Khan. I know you like Khan's hand speed, and Khan as a fighter. It's unfortunate, if he had a good chin, he could have been one of the greats. That's the thing though, very few fighters have the complete package.

Actually, even with a chin I wouldn't rate him very high. Khan was never for me a real pro. I like him, but I am well aware of his flaws. Chin being only one of them. I have many positive posts about Khan, but many pointing out his limitations in the pro game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Once again we will take a deep look between the ears of Amir Khan to see if he can stick with the plan for twelve rounds.
    It's a big ask, but it's worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Once again we will take a deep look between the ears of Amir Khan to see if he can stick with the plan for twelve rounds.
    It's a big ask, but it's worth a watch.

That's his biggest weakness, he could just about get away with the chin if he could fight smart for 12 rounds. Possibly connected though, if he hadn't been sparked early in his career maybe he wouldn't feel the need to brawl ever since and may have been able to stick to game plans...

This sticking to a game plan is a bit of a cop out for Khan. He simply took a shot. Game plan or not, some of the time you will be in danger, and may have to absorb a shot. His KO losses were all down to that. The fights where he survived and won were more due to diverting from a game plan and roughing it out for the thrill of it almost. Even with a well devised game plan and boxing smart Khan is very vulnerable against any kind of decent hitter.

BTW, isn't Arum reporting that this is not a done deal yet? I was thinking it a little too good to be true that we would get this fight in such a short space of time...

pac_man wrote: »
    I can't believe you're still calling that a hail mary punch. I think you should look back at that fight carefully and maybe you'll come to the conclusion that it was very well timed. It's not as if he didn't throw the combination more than once in the fight or anything!

The post below I wrote replying to nacho for some reason. It was meant to be in reply to you, pac_man...

"Aesthetically speaking it had that Hail Mary swing look off it. Yes, timed and deliberate. I never said otherwise.

In slo-mo it does look a lot more deliberate. I concede. Hail Mary description not really accurate."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It was a very nice punch from Pac, threw out the right as a feint, too high and wide to be anything but a distraction, Hatton got caught out by it leaving his chin exposed and Pac landed right on the button with his left. It was absolutely deliberate, I see you have conceded the hail mary being the wrong description, fair enough.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

It was a very nice punch from Pac, threw out the right as a feint, too high and wide to be anything but a distraction, Hatton got caught out by it leaving his chin exposed and Pac landed right on the button with his left. It was absolutely deliberate, I see you have conceded the hail mary being the wrong description, fair enough.

When you watch it in real time it has that sort of swing out of nowhere look off it. But slowed down you see the thought process involved.

Anyway, Hatton is not Khan. Khan is bigger, taller, rangier, faster and likely won't be in a position to be hit with that kind of perfect shot from a shorter man. Not saying it's impossible, but to me it is unlikely.

Wishful thinking , but i'd love if the new opponent turns out to be Garcia, or better still Thurman.

It'll be Jeff Horn lads.

I won't be expecting an ageing Manny to take any dangerous fights from here on in. Khan would have been an ok fight. Not really dangerous.

Advertisement