Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade or Sell

Options
  • 26-02-2017 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of doing a new AMD build for 4K but not 100% sure. My current pc is as follows:

GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0
    CPU: 4690K with be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim Fan
    MOBO: MSI Z87-G43
    PSU: Corsair VS Serie VS550, Non-Modular
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27
    Storage: Crucial SSD 250GB BX100 and Toshiba 500GB HDD
    Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3
    Sound: Sound Blaster Titanium HD

I'm not sure if it's worth taking the hit to sell this pc and build from scratch, or just to make some upgrades. Also, what would be a fair price for me to sell the above for? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd say try & see what your games run like on a 4K screen before considering incremental upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

for 4k60, your current setup is really quite OK once you adjust a few settings to hit the target. There is no single card available at the moment that is a big enough increase on the 980Ti to really justify the major price premium eg going from 980Ti (350 2nd hand) to GTX1080 (650 new) and still totally incapable of playing at 4k high/ultra really.

I think it'll take AMD's Vega to make 4K mainstream viable. There is of course the impending 1080Ti but that's going to be extremely expensive. The i5-4690K is really fine considering it's struggle enough to hit 60fps at 4k. The processor and the potential of more cores/threads (i7, Ryzen) more becomes a concern when you're looking to play on 120/144hz monitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Thanks guys. I'm also considering getting a second 980ti but not sure if the 4690k would bottleneck it.

I was hitting 80fps on 1440p Ultra in The Witcher 3 in the current build so I'm hoping that 4k at good settings would be possible with a additions to the pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not really an option unfortunately as you'd need a) a new motherboard and b) a new power supply, so it's not really economical at all.

The only thing you can really do right now is sell the 980Ti and get a GTX1080 if you're looking at 4K. Upgrade cost around €300ish. I would really probably just wait for Vega in summer at this stage.

In the meantime, the 980Ti will drive 4K just fine with a bit of tweaking, the difference between high and ultra in most games requires a hefty GPU overhead for small visual return, for example.

Advertisement