Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Needs Exemptions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

hytrogen wrote: »
    Cow tipping?

Eric Cartman look we all want the pearly white fencing around out enclave in isolation, away from the noisy neighbours teenage durtbag garage band practicing at all hours but realistically the human impact and footprint we've made on the countryside is unsustainable.
    TV has sold us this impossible aspiration through travel program and property shows. The grass isn't always as greener, especially later on in life when you'd like to borrow that bowl of sugar off the neighbours a mile down the road and you're with your zimmer frame or when the kids grow up, move to work in the big smoke and don't come to visit anymore..
    Human nature is social interaction as well as own space needs, finding the right balanced is the aspiration.

Tv hasnt sold me anything, im not expecting to build a 7000sq ft recreation of buckingham palace here but on paper Im a neighbour from hell, I don't like being restricted to stopping working on cars or building things at 11pm , or telling people to quiet down or turning the music down. If I was a less considerate person all of my previous neighbours would have had me locked up, Im being considerate to others in that I get my best work done between midnight and 4am , I like having people over and I intend to own a lot more cars than the 3 I already have , in order to be part of a functional society I have understood that I simply cannot do what I want while I have neighbours within earshot, so the solution is to not have neighbours within earshot. Im never going to be a 9-5er in bed by 12 , so a one off house, for societys sake aswell as my own is the only solution

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Human nature is social interaction as well as own space needs, finding the right balanced is the aspiration.
    I live in Toronto now, but when I come back to Ireland, I won't be living in an estate; one of my cars was vandalised with paint before whilst living in an estate (no reason, no-one owned up to it). I'm also pretty sure EC's vehicles have suffered as well in the past by begrudges. Having stayed in friends apartments in Dublin, the ability to hear the neighbours flushing their toilet shows the inability of builders to build decent apartments, so all that's left is a house outside the estates.

Also, estates only allow limited amount of cars. If everyone in the house has at least one car, parking becomes fun. Living in a house in the countryside doesn't restrict the amount of car parking spaces for your house as an estate would.

The grass isn't always as greener, especially later on in life when you'd like to borrow that bowl of sugar off the neighbours a mile down the road and you're with your zimmer frame or when the kids grow up, move to work in the big smoke and don't come to visit anymore..

Except lots of course people living in the country are far more likely to have their children living right next door rather than far away compared to those in the city as if you grow up in the city you don't exactly have the space to build your own home beside the home house. Also neighbours are often much closer than a mile away especially when you have a few houses of the same family and sure why would younger walking when you can drive which is a lot easier to do in the county than in a city. My home house is built next door to my dad's home house and I plan to build next door too hardly gone to the big some and never visiting. Even part time farms won't look after themselves and these will continue to be passed down through the generations so there will always be people around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

A lot of people don't want to live in villages or estates. They want space, room for large multi car garages, proper sized 4 or 5 bedroomed houses with lots of space around for garden, parking etc. They want a house built to the way they would like, laid out how they want and to the specifications they want not one build the same as next door and lacking lots of the features many people want. People also want privacy and be able to play loud music or have a party or what ever and not need to worry about annoying neighbours or vice versa and not be annoyed by neighbours.

That is all possible in urban areas too. It just costs a lot more and here lies the issue. You can build a McMansion super cheap in the arsehole of nowhere as the land is cheaper and construction costs are cheaper. People want to build a massive home in middle of nowhere as it is cheap.

You can do self build in Dublin to. You can build the house as you wish. You can have parties in Dublin too if you have good sound proofing.
    Just becuse you are happy to live in urban areas does not mean others are and urban dwellers should have no say whatsoever on where others decide to live.

Actually we should. Guess who is subsidising your McMansion with a house every 3/4 kilometers and paying for broadband connection as you choose not to live in an area with decent services? Urban dwellers. Money that could be spent in urban areas has to go fund inefficient developments in low density urban areas.

Having grown up and lived most of my live in a very rural area and spent the last few years in an urban area there is simply no comparison rural life is far superior and I couldn't see myself settling down properly anywhere except rural. Bringing up kids etc is so much better also in a rural setting, I had such a brilliant childhood that most of what I did would have been impossible living urban.

What is superior about rural living other than your McMansion? There is no public transport, poor quality internet, if any etc. Urban living is unappealing for rural dwellers as they spend a few years in Dublin for College (where they go home every weekend usually...), where they live in the worst parts of Dublin in the worst quality accommodation. Rural dwellers fail to see what Dublin can offer, as they dont experience it/dont want to experience it. I know people who went to college in Dublin and did not spend more than a handful of weekends in Dublin

newacc2015 wrote: »
    That is all possible in urban areas too. It just costs a lot more and here lies the issue. You can build a McMansion super cheap in the arsehole of nowhere as the land is cheaper and construction costs are cheaper. People want to build a massive home in middle of nowhere as it is cheap.
    Considering your house is usually the single biggest purchase most people ever make, the price difference certainly plays into it a lot. A modest 2000sq ft home in an urban environment in not an awful area of dublin will cost you 600k + minimum. The same thing to be built yourself , 10 minutes drive from a motorway would be 350-400k.
    You can do self build in Dublin to. You can build the house as you wish. You can have parties in Dublin too if you have good sound proofing.

Actually we should. Guess who is subsidising your McMansion with a house every 3/4 kilometers and paying for broadband connection as you choose not to live in an area with decent services? Urban dwellers. Money that could be spent in urban areas has to go fund inefficient developments in low density urban areas.
    Ribbon development rules to protect non existent scenery are what causes this problem, not people looking to build. Most people would love to live on an acre on Howth hill etc.. if they could, with all the services and the space. But family ties and price are the two biggest reasons people choose to live rurally.

What is superior about rural living other than your McMansion? There is no public transport, poor quality internet, if any etc. Urban living is unappealing for rural dwellers as they spend a few years in Dublin for College (where they go home every weekend usually...), where they live in the worst parts of Dublin in the worst quality accommodation. Rural dwellers fail to see what Dublin can offer, as they dont experience it/dont want to experience it. I know people who went to college in Dublin and did not spend more than a handful of weekends in Dublin

Public transport - Yeah its a problem, but not everyone really needs it. We're also on the cusp of self driving cars, which (if its hopefully legally allowed) be the rebirth of the rural pub, and the saving grace for children, the elderly and the disabled in rural Ireland. By the time I am retired this will be common place.

Broadband - 4G mobile networks and other wireless technologies have helped progress this leaps and bounds, its only getting better.

I work in dublin every day, I live just outside a village that has a dublin bus route. I go drinking in dublin every weekend. I have nothing against dublin at all. But if I wanted to live in the type of house I want to build, in a nice part of dublin, i'd be talking 1.2 million quid easily , I don't have that. In exchange for an extra 20 minutes a day of commuting, I can have that for under 400k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the_syco wrote: »
    Also, estates only allow limited amount of cars. If everyone in the house has at least one car, parking becomes fun.
    Average household size in Ireland is 2.7. If there are more than 3.7 cars in a household, you have to ask yourself why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Victor wrote: »
    Average household size in Ireland is 2.7. If there are more than 3.7 cars in a household, you have to ask yourself why.
    A person can have as many cars as they like as long as they're willing to pay for them. And a person should be allowed live where they like (within reason of course) as long as they're willing to pay for it i.e. in terms of the additional strain on services mentioned already in this thread.

I'd much prefer a situation where a person choosing to build in the countryside can do so cheaper than in Dublin City or close to a town, but pays a higher cost overall through various additional taxes for the privilege of doing so.

A person can have as many cars as they like as long as they're willing to pay for them. And a person should be allowed live where they like (within reason of course) as long as they're willing to pay for it i.e. in terms of the additional strain on services mentioned already in this thread.

I'd much prefer a situation where a person choosing to build in the countryside can do so cheaper than in Dublin City or close to a town, but pays a higher cost overall through various additional taxes for the privilege of doing so.

This 'additional taxation' already occurs. Rural dwellers are paying tax to subsidise the luas, dublin bus, and all the other services.

Somebody living rurally with a private well, own septic tank, who drives (very common scenario) still pays the same taxation as somebody living in dublin city who gets the bus , has their roads swept outside, has street lights, footpaths maintained, litter bins , etc....

Urban living comes with a lot of services, because those people expect and want a lot of services. Rural dwellers only want broadband and the pothole in the road fixed, depend on themselves for everything else , and you think they should pay additional taxes for it

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Except lots of course people living in the country are far more likely to have their children living right next door rather than far away compared to those in the city as if you grow up in the city you don't exactly have the space to build your own home beside the home house. Also neighbours are often much closer than a mile away especially when you have a few houses of the same family and sure why would younger walking when you can drive which is a lot easier to do in the county than in a city. My home house is built next door to my dad's home house and I plan to build next door too hardly gone to the big some and never visiting. Even part time farms won't look after themselves and these will continue to be passed down through the generations so there will always be people around.

I doubt this is as prevalent as you are making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

This 'additional taxation' already occurs. Rural dwellers are paying tax to subsidise the luas, dublin bus, and all the other services.
    The tax take from rural Ireland doesnt come close to paying for rural Ireland nevermind for services anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Somebody living rurally with a private well, own septic tank, who drives (very common scenario) still pays the same taxation as somebody living in dublin city who gets the bus , has their roads swept outside, has street lights, footpaths maintained, litter bins , etc....

Urban living comes with a lot of services, because those people expect and want a lot of services. Rural dwellers only want broadband and the pothole in the road fixed, depend on themselves for everything else , and you think they should pay additional taxes for it
    Rural living is still a luxury. And a privilege that should be paid for, especially by those choosing to build a one off, isolated home in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Bull. Rural dwellers are paying tax to cover a fraction of the services that they receive from the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can we get back on topic please? Rural v urban is not why the thread was started.

Firstly I find it very hard to take anyone serious who uses that hoffiric word "McMansion". It reeks of jealousy from someone packed into a small house in an estate.

Why would I want to build a house in Dublin, I never had nor never will live there also its totally unaffrodable and finding a site would be very difficult. You basically want to keep self builds for the extremly wealthy who want to live in a city rather than those who want to live on their own land in rural areas.

Also where are you getting this "arse end of nowhere" nonsense. My home place is a 5min drive from the nearest town and 20mins drive to the nearest city yet there are parts of the farm I can stand at night and see no artificial light. I can be in the city faster than most people can be in from the suburbs of Dublin into the city centre.

There are now 19 houses on the road I'm from and its just over 1km long, so again way off with your 3/4 km between houses. We also pay for our own water unlike all the great city folk, do most of the maintenance of the road ourselves (aside from actual surfacing), provide all our own transport etc. While we subsidise all the infrastructure and money spent in Dublin and other cities.

Well having a proper sized house is a massive thing, having grown up and lived most of my life in proper house city houses are tiny and no use for what I'd want in a house. I've never spend any longer than two days in a row in Dublin. There are plenty of other universities around the country many with commuting distance of large swathes of rural parts of Ireland, I had no need to move anywhere to go to university. Growing up I had freedom no city person would have, acres to play in and explore, working on the farm from an early age (and getting some money for it) which I really enjoyed. Learned to dive when I was still single a single digit age also, I could write pages on the great things about it.

As for facilities as I said a large part of rural Ireland is not a that far from the nearest urban centre where all facilities are, not having public transport is no big deal (I drive 95% of the time even though there is a bus stop outside my house where I'm living at the moment) and well there may not have been good BB but soon my home place will have a 1G fibre to the home line and will in fact have much better BB than most people living in urban areas. The way urban people want rural people cast aside is infuriating, no wonder getting a TD for rural affairs is so needed.
    awec wrote: »
    I doubt this is as prevalent as you are making out.

Among people I know and around the area in general it is very common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Firstly I find it very hard to take anyone serious who uses that hoffiric word "McMansion". It reeks of jealousy from someone packed into a small house in an estate.

The term McMansion doesn't refer to any large house just large houses that are designed without giving any thought to how the exterior of the property looks or large houses that are poorly designed and a bit tacky. McMansions are notorious for not giving any thought to how all those room add-ons affect the outside appearance of the property. Some large houses look an absoute dog's dinner from the outside. Getting every room designed that way you want with lots of different add-ons can have that affect.

There many nice large houses in Ireland but there are unfortunately a large number of eyesores too.

As for jealousy, well firstly, the person who coined the term is highly unlikely to be "packed in" to a small house. I'd say that person is doing well for themselves. If you're at the level of term-coining, you're likely comfortably well off as well as knowledgeable of architecture. Secondly, believe it or not, not everyone wants a large house. Many of us see them as wasteful and have little interest in the upkeep involved. It's honestly a bit classless to look down your nose at people who live in smaller houses than you.

Considering your house is usually the single biggest purchase most people ever make, the price difference certainly plays into it a lot. A modest 2000sq ft home in an urban environment in not an awful area of dublin will cost you 600k + minimum. The same thing to be built yourself , 10 minutes drive from a motorway would be 350-400k.

So you past on a sizeable cost to the taxpayer. The taxpayer is paying for that motorway to pay for your choice of a larger house cheaper. The M50 would not have had to be updated, if it wasnt for the hundreds of thousands who work in Dublin but wanted a cheap house outside of it. Motorways should not built just to facilitate urban sprawl

It is more expensive to provide services to less dense areas and to new areas. We have schools in Dublin built for 1400 students currently with 400 students in them. Yet we are building new schools in commuter towns.

You personally might benefit from a cheaper house outside of the city, but society and taxpayer is worse off.

__Alex__ wrote: »
    The term McMansion doesn't refer to any large house just large houses that are designed without giving any thought to how the exterior of the property looks or large houses that are poorly designed and a bit tacky. McMansions are notorious for not giving any thought to how all those room add-ons affect the outside appearance of the property. Some large houses look an absoute dog's dinner from the outside. Getting every room designed that way you want with lots of different add-ons can have that affect.

There many nice large houses in Ireland but there are unfortunately a large number of eyesores too.

Well the poster in question appears to be referring to every house that's not inside the M50.
    __Alex__ wrote: »
    As for jealousy, well firstly, the person who coined the term is highly unlikely to be "packed in" to a small house. I'd say that person is doing well for themselves. If you're at the level of term-coining, you're likely comfortably well off as well as knowledgeable of architecture. Secondly, believe it or not, not everyone wants a large house. Many of us see them as wasteful and have little interest in the upkeep involved. It's honestly a bit classless to look down your nose at people who live in smaller houses than you.

It may not have been coined by a normal individual (though who ever did coin it should be shot as its an infuriating term) but its almost exclusively used by urban dwellers to belittle rural dwellers in general and while I don't look down at people who choose to live in a smaller house anywhere (urban or rural) I do look down on those think they can dictate where I live and how big my house is. People are entitled to live in a small house but I am also entitled to build a 3000+ sq ft house if I choose to do so (once I satisfy planning requirements). The issue only arises when people start dictating, of which the majority don't of course.

So you past on a sizeable cost to the taxpayer. The taxpayer is paying for that motorway to pay for your choice of a larger house cheaper. The M50 would not have had to be updated, if it wasnt for the hundreds of thousands who work in Dublin but wanted a cheap house outside of it. Motorways should not built just to facilitate urban sprawl

It is more expensive to provide services to less dense areas and to new areas. We have schools in Dublin built for 1400 students currently with 400 students in them. Yet we are building new schools in commuter towns.

You personally might benefit from a cheaper house outside of the city, but society and taxpayer is worse off.

Did you ever consider that most people didn't make that choice, the urban sprawl and motorway updates were required precisely because families couldn't afford to live anywhere in dublin. The school's are empty because only twenty somethings without children working in high end jobs can afford to live there anymore. Urban sprawl was primarily caused by housing estates . Nobody ever built a motorway to serve a few houses on a secondary road. All these people have to live somewhere. Raising a family in an apartment in Ireland is never really going to happen, we're too set in our ways against them. The suburbs will sprawl, more housing estates will appear and people in one off houses will continue to have little impact on that.

back on topic. Is there a way to get an exemption or around local needs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Enough of the urban v rural, this is not a contest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It may not have been coined by a normal individual (though who ever did coin it should be shot as its an infuriating term) but its almost exclusively used by urban dwellers to belittle rural dwellers in general and while I don't look down at people who choose to live in a smaller house anywhere (urban or rural) I do look down on those think they can dictate where I live and how big my house is. People are entitled to live in a small house but I am also entitled to build a 3000+ sq ft house if I choose to do so (once I satisfy planning requirements). The issue only arises when people start dictating, of which the majority don't of course.

It was actually phrase coined about American suburban houses (where the suburbs can be a hundred kilometres from the city). It means a large modern house that is considered ostentatious and lacking in architectural integrity constructed with low-quality materials and craftsmanship, using a mishmash of architectural symbols to invoke connotations of wealth or taste, executed via poorly thought-out exterior and interior design.

You see a lot of these in Ireland of late. A country with diminishing sized families that traditionally had modest dwellings that fitted in with or complemented the landscape.

It jars and has a negative impact on health both mental and physical along with making farm and infrastructure projects (wind, electrical, forestry etc...) difficult because of the sprawl.

Unfortunate, but people are short sighted.

• Advertisement

As I have previously stated, you can live in a mobile home for several years to 'become a local'. I know people who have done it in north county Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Purecuntish

Did you ever consider that most people didn't make that choice, the urban sprawl and motorway updates were required precisely because families couldn't afford to live anywhere in dublin. The school's are empty because only twenty somethings without children working in high end jobs can afford to live there anymore. Urban sprawl was primarily caused by housing estates . Nobody ever built a motorway to serve a few houses on a secondary road. All these people have to live somewhere. Raising a family in an apartment in Ireland is never really going to happen, we're too set in our ways against them. The suburbs will sprawl, more housing estates will appear and people in one off houses will continue to have little impact on that.

Yes. In the case of Kildare, if you purchase say an old derelict cottage of vernacular architecture you may apply to knock the existing structure and build a new house as long as the foot print is the same size as the one just knocked. Or you may choose to renovate and extend the cottage without being restricted by local needs.
    This was the case with the 2011-2017 development plan, it may have changed since. Kildare county council encourage the renovations of vernacular structures. Makes sense.

Advertisement