Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height limits for buildings in Cork City

Options
  • 26-02-2017 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I couldn't find an answer online so decided to ask here. Does anyone know what the building height limits are for buildings in Cork City? Is the Elysian's amount the max amount of stories allowed or are they allowed to go higher, and in what areas? Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Don't know the height limits but I'd guess higher than the elysian flats as Howard Holdings got permission for these bad boys back in '09, thirty & twenty stories afair.

zti5gy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

It depends on the area of the city. The Cork City Development Plan has the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

I'm assuming those plans have since been scrapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

DylanGLC wrote: »
    I'm assuming those plans have since been scrapped?

I've not heard of them being scrapped, but they're part of the Atlantic Quarter that would have made up part of the docklands project. I'm sure we'll see something there at some stage, but maybe not that scale.

There's a few videos on YouTube of the plans if you care to search.

Just looked it up. According to the Wikipedia page they planned to have it done for 2013 but that clearly didn't happen, although the recession did. Who knows, maybe with the new 23 storey building being built in Dublin (leading to the Elysian no longer being the tallest building in the Republic), they may hurry up with it (or something else) to try and reclaim the title in Cork

• Advertisement

If by 'they' you mean Howard Holdings then afraid not as they've long since gone under with the director gone into hiding! Presume NAMA owns that land now but don't really know tbh.

opus wrote: »
    If by 'they' you mean Howard Holdings then afraid not as they've long since gone under with the director gone into hiding! Presume NAMA owns that land now but don't really know tbh.

"They" meant Howard Holidings but also any other developers in Cork looking to do something like it. I wonder what areas are appropriate. I couldn't find the height limits in the development plan but I assume they can't build a building so tall on something like Patrick's Street. Maybe on the land by Horgan's Quay (although, weren't there complaints about the seven storey building in Navigation Square being too tall for the area?)

Hmmm I'll believe a 40-storey tower only when I see it!

Sky's no limit for New Cork as 40-storey tower proposed for Port site

portOfCorkProposedTower_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-448208

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A 40 storey building right on top of the bonded warehouses? That would look ridiculous I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And so it starts.

I can't see this going ahead. Irish people, in general, don't seem to like high rise buildings.

I think it could be amazing; a really bold statement at the gateway to the city centre but I'm guessing that I'm in the minority.

I can see a completely watered down version of this getting the go ahead which will, no doubt, be bland and/or awful and not very tall.

• Advertisement

And so it starts.

I can't see this going ahead. Irish people, in general, don't seem to like high rise buildings.

I think it could be amazing; a really bold statement at the gateway to the city centre but I'm guessing that I'm in the minority.

I can see a completely watered down version of this getting the go ahead which will, no doubt, be bland and/or awful and not very tall.

No problem with tall buildings but right on top of an historic landmark building like the Bonded Warehouses is not the place for it. Seriously some people just love to see big buildings no matter where they are built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The Facebook brigade are out in force. Seemingly this money would be much better spent on the homeless.

The problem with social media is that it gives the informed and the uninformed equal standing.

This needs to have the requisite investment in supporting infrastructure if it goes ahead. Transport, civic infrastructure etc. This tower only further strengthens the case for the east west rapid transport corridor through Cork city. But will the politicians get their finger out.....not likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No problem with tall buildings but right on top of an historic landmark building like the Bonded Warehouses is not the place for it. Seriously some people just love to see big buildings no matter where they are built.

I love the bonded warehouses and something like this would ensure they are kept in good condition and actually used and accessible to people so im all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

And they are going to do all this for 100 million give or take 50...
    Is the elysian all occupied at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a great love for the Bonded Warehouse. I've been in the vaults countless times. It is an amazing building. I've also rowed around it and walked around it many, many times. It's one of my favorite buildings in Cork.

I'd love to see a bold, modern, well designed building incorporated into the site.

I have a great love for the Bonded Warehouse. I've been in the vaults countless times. It is an amazing building. I've also rowed around it and walked around it many, many times. It's one of my favorite buildings in Cork.

I'd love to see a bold, modern, well designed building incorporated into the site.

Look as long as it's well designed and didn't ruin what's there then it'll be welcome. But the supporting transport infrastructure is also needed to support this. Unfortunately transport infrastructure in Cork is sadly lacking and improving it isn't even on the radar of the national capital plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

We wont get the transport unless there population density increases in the city centre.

As much as I want this to happen, plans like these never seem to get off the ground in Cork, for whatever reason. The progress at the Event Centre is glacial, so its hard to be optimistic about even bigger projects.

The bonded warehouses have huge potential and i dont see why a modern structure like this proposed building would take away from the area. They really need to be renovated though. The whole docklands needs to be renovated and rejuvenated. It is an eyesore at the moment.

It will be interesting to see what happens from here. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Looking at paper reports the 40 storey tower is planned for the apex of where the river splits in two - right where the port of cork sign is now.

I can remember the work that was done to dig foundations for the Elysian so doing something even bigger here will be a massive project.

I hope it goes ahead - a tower like that would give a real iconic look to the city as you come in the lower glanmire road.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I love the bonded warehouses and something like this would ensure they are kept in good condition and actually used and accessible to people so im all for it.

For sure it would be great to see them in use and accessible to the public. My boss was telling me earlier that the building at the front needs a lot of refurb as well as he was in there recently.

Looking at Google satellite images, it's not a huge space down at the pointy end to squeeze in that building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Those structures are all protected, so whatever they do will have to maintain them and incorporate them. It sounds fantastic though.

Meursault wrote: »
    We wont get the transport unless there population density increases in the city centre.

This is one of the biggest myths that is constantly perpetuated about public transportation​. Cork actually has a very reasonable density at 3,600 people per square kilometre. Compares very favourably to cities across Europe. And that's before you add in places like Douglas. Also putting up buildings before you put in infrastructure to support it is again a nonsense and the antithesis of good planning. But we don't do very good planning in Ireland so it's no surprise we do things arseways.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

opus wrote: »
    Looking at Google satellite images, it's not a huge space down at the pointy end to squeeze in that building.

i was thinking that as well but i imagine they should be able to engineer it to expand that site out into the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    i was thinking that as well but i imagine they should be able to engineer it to expand that site out into the river?

using https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm
    it looks like going very close to the existing warehouses would give about 149m2 which is pretty much the same as the tower section of the Elysian so I would imagine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Considering the piling that will be required for this project, it wouldn't take much more effort to expand the size of the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

This is one of the biggest myths that is constantly perpetuated about public transportation​. Cork actually has a very reasonable density at 3,600 people per square kilometre. Compares very favourably to cities across Europe. And that's before you add in places like Douglas. Also putting up buildings before you put in infrastructure to support it is again a nonsense and the antithesis of good planning. But we don't do very good planning in Ireland so it's no surprise we do things arseways.

That's a reasonable point you are making there, but what I was talking about is in an Irish context, where you would nearly have to be at breaking point before a large capital investment is made. Take the motorway to limerick, the bypass around macroom, the upgrade of Dunkettle as examples.

If we see large projects like this going ahead, then it becomes a necessity to look at transport. I agree with your point, but proper planning just doesn't happen that way in Ireland unfortunately.

Meursault wrote: »
    That's a reasonable point you are making there, but what I was talking about is in an Irish context, where you would nearly have to be at breaking point before a large capital investment is made. Take the motorway to limerick, the bypass around macroom, the upgrade of Dunkettle as examples.

If we see large projects like this going ahead, then it becomes a necessity to look at transport. I agree with your point, but proper planning just doesn't happen that way in Ireland unfortunately.

The problem comes when you want to attract large scale businesses to these offices. Brexit is a prime opportunity to mop up some business from the UK but we're already seeing Dublin lose out to European cities due to insufficient infrastructure. Looking at Cork. We don't have sufficient housing stock to accommodate workers and an inadequate public transit system to move those people around. I get what you're saying in an Irish context but just once it would be nice if we planned these things properly. Decent public transport doesn't just materialise once you reach the designated minimum density (whatever arbitrary figure that maybe) it must be planned and put in place as you develop and secondly where public transport is of poor quality and unattractive such as in Cork, building up the urban density does not make it any more attractive and people will remain in their cars.

Prioritising public transport and other service improvements early on while recognising that changes in urban density are slow processes, means that people can take advantage of improved transport immediately. This improves the overall livability and attractiveness of the urban area. It'll never happen but it's what should happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

This looks like a good proposal to get he ball rolling on developing this site. I love the bonded warehouses too but it needs a big development to get them back open and back in use.
    In the end, we won't get a 40 storey tower. It will get reduced, etc. but if anywhere can accomodate a tall, statement tower it's here (engineering questions aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

The appropriately titled TALL BUILDINGS POLICY from Cork City Council (2008) has the following graphic suggesting 96 metres is the upper limit. The Elysian in 70 metres.
    Not sure how strictly it would be enforced.
    GtTouwDl.jpg

• Advertisement

Pitcairn wrote: »
    The appropriately titled TALL BUILDINGS POLICY from Cork City Council (2008) has the following graphic suggesting 96 metres is the upper limit. The Elysian in 70 metres.
    Not sure how strictly it would be enforced.
    GtTouwDl.jpg

And that suggests the upper limit is for the Eastern Gateway site, no tall building was envisaged on the Port of Cork site so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Also saw this on the policy which was funny:
    Tall buildings, as with the general intensification of the city, will only be appropriate where a very high quality public transport system is in operation or proposed and programmed for implementation. Significant intensification will only be appropriate where a public mass transit is either in operation or its delivery programmed.

If the Council follow their own policy they should only give the go ahead if there is a very high quality public transport system in operation or being implemented and built.

Advertisement