Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height limits for buildings in Cork City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Saw this render of the proposed student accommodation that UCC want build at the Crow's Nest site at Victoria Cross:

ProposedstudentblockCrowsNestSiteVictoriaCrossNov17_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-463753

Apparently there is no provision for car parking to try to encourage students to use public transport exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Saw something that the planning application will be submitted in early 2018. With the inevitable objections from NIMBYs and the likes of An Taisce it's likely to spend a year in the planning process at least.[/QUOTE

Developments of this size which can bring lots of work and open up run down areas and inject new types of businesses into the city, should be fast tracked through the planning process. 1 year plus is to long for everyone involved.

Saw this render of the proposed student accommodation that UCC want build at the Crow's Nest site at Victoria Cross:

ProposedstudentblockCrowsNestSiteVictoriaCrossNov17_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-463753

Apparently there is no provision for car parking to try to encourage students to use public transport exclusively.

I think adequate parking is a must in any building. A building of this size it’s a priority. This area is prone to flooding, would this be the reason for not having an underground car park.

I think adequate parking is a must in any building. A building of this size it’s a priority. This area is prone to flooding, would this be the reason for not having an underground car park.

No according to what I've read it's purely to discourage car use.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

We should be discouraging car parking for student apartments, and for well-located apartment developments generally.

There should be zero Car parking for projects like this.

• Advertisement

No according to what I've read it's purely to discourage car use.

If that’s true, then what Planet are these planers living on .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Any news on this development.
    Planning to be submitted Q1 2018
    Planning for Custom House site project to be sought early next year
    Couple of red flags with the brother and business partnerof the developer going bankrupt:
    Company owned by US-based Irish developer files for bankruptcy
    and them bizarrely putting forward a 3 star hotel for the development
    Exciting Hotel Developments Planned for Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

I actually agree with this decision. There are bus stops right outside the building. Besides, how many students will be affected by this? I am pretty certain that this would not prevent too many students from living there.

mire wrote: »
    We should be discouraging car parking for student apartments, and for well-located apartment developments generally.

There should be zero Car parking for projects like this.

This looks a huge apartment block, I don’t know maybe 100 plus beds . Most of these students will come from outside cork city and a lot from outside the county and most certainly have cars . Great in theory but the reality is public transport have a long way to catch up . On bright side the builders will save a fortune, and try to replicate this anywhere there a bus stop .

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

It would be absolutely bizarre in the extreme to seek underground car parking for a student apartment complex next to UCC. Bus stops outside, within walking distance of UCC. Students are hardly going to drive to UCC from this location. Anyway underground car parking makes most apartment complexes uneconomical to develop. Looks a very well designed scheme.

• Advertisement

This looks a huge apartment block, I don’t know maybe 100 plus beds . Most of these students will come from outside cork city and a lot from outside the county and most certainly have cars . Great in theory but the reality is public transport have a long way to catch up . On bright side the builders will save a fortune, and try to replicate this anywhere there a bus stop .

255 beds. There's other options for students with cars. This in my view is great and the only way to create the demand and critical mass to justify increased public transport investment in Cork.

rebs23 wrote: »
    It would be absolutely bizarre in the extreme to seek underground car parking for a student apartment complex next to UCC. Bus stops outside, within walking distance of UCC. Students are hardly going to drive to UCC from this location. Anyway underground car parking makes most apartment complexes uneconomical to develop. Looks a very well designed scheme.

UCC is not the only College in cork city. College Students are not all 18/ 20 year olds , they also work outside of College time . I do really see a lot of merit in this idea , but 5/10 years down the road, and there looking for a change of use for some of these building. This is going to happen more and more with new apartment blocks the builder will be very happy but not so the residents living close by.

UCC is not the only College in cork city. College Students are not all 18/ 20 year olds , they also work outside of College time . I do really see a lot of merit in this idea , but 5/10 years down the road, and there looking for a change of use for some of these building. This is going to happen more and more with new apartment blocks the builder will be very happy but not so the residents living close by.

UCC are developing this site for UCC students.

If you are lucky enough to be a student with your own car, you dont need to worry about living so close to UCC.

Also, these appartments are located in an area that floods nearly every year. an underground car park is not a good idea.

I also agree that people need to be encouraged to use public transport when it is a feasible option and it is already provided.

255 beds. There's other options for students with cars. This in my view is great and the only way to create the demand and critical mass to justify increased public transport investment in Cork.

I know were your coming from, your right it will justify transport investment . Building these size blocks without parking In large residential city areas I would be against.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

There is another way to Look at this. Instead of thinking along the lines of "Some students will Want to travel by car so we should provide car parking spaces for them", The planning system should be saying "Even if students have cars, We should not be encouraging this by providing car parking spaces".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

lol at the last few posts, like Cork is just always that little bit behind the curve. The reality is more parking=more cars. The current boom in student home building in Dublin is made feasible because student accommodation doesn't need to have underground parking. Underground parking is a huge burden on developers and it makes a lot of apartment schemes uneconomic. New office developments in Cork like Albert quay would only have a tiny number of parking spaces provided for the same reason. Cork doesn't need more cars or parking, it needs better public transport and higher density living.

cgcsb wrote: »
    lol at the last few posts, like Cork is just always that little bit behind the curve. The reality is more parking=more cars. The current boom in student home building in Dublin is made feasible because student accommodation doesn't need to have underground parking. Underground parking is a huge burden on developers and it makes a lot of apartment schemes uneconomic. New office developments in Cork like Albert quay would only have a tiny number of parking spaces provided for the same reason. Cork doesn't need more cars or parking, it needs better public transport and higher density living.

agree wholeheartedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Developments of this size which can bring lots of work and open up run down areas and inject new types of businesses into the city, should be fast tracked through the planning process. 1 year plus is to long for everyone involved.

Planning direct to ABP, Should knock months off it hopfully.

I think it looks great a lot nicer than that horrible eyesore adj. ONeills bridge. Great idea about the car spaces too.

Planning direct to ABP, Should knock months off it hopfully.

I think it looks great a lot nicer than that horrible eyesore adj. ONeills bridge. Great idea about the car spaces too.

Agreed it looks impressive, don’t know anything ONell Bridge or the car parking what’s happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, Eoghan Murphy removed the need for car park for apartment buildings, today.

Agreed it looks impressive, don’t know anything ONell Bridge or the car parking what’s happening?

the old Victoria Mills yoke, there few years
    Horrific yoke
    202-VM.jpg

the old Victoria Mills yoke, there few years
    Horrific yoke
    202-VM.jpg

Looks like 1960s East Germany.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Until there is a tram running through Dennehy's Cross/College Road there will always be a desire for cars amongst students in Cork. The current bus service is not worth talking about.

Regarding student accomodation, the plans for the Crows Nest look very good. A similar structure closer to UCC with even more apartments would be nice too. Perhaps integrating student facilities with the apartments could be considered also (library, gym etc.)

That Victoria Mills was a Montgomery build. But it was built when things were tight. There was lot of issues with the height, at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Meursault wrote: »
    I actually agree with this decision. There are bus stops right outside the building. Besides, how many students will be affected by this? I am pretty certain that this would not prevent too many students from living there.

While I agree with no parking for tenants, a few “service” parking spaces should be included. Places for tradespeople bringing in tools. Loading bays. Someplace for bin lorries to get into an accessible bin area.

Some of the apartment buildings around the place are very difficult to service and run afterwards. Anyone servicing s heating system, or a lift system, or anything for that matter needs to haul equipment around. They need to be set up in a practical manner also.

And by the way, whatever f-ing moron took the parking off the new bons building and shortened the height of the building by a few floors needs their head examining. It is a freakin’ hospital. When a family gets a phonecall to get themselves in there as quick as possible because their loved one is dying soon... is park and ride a solution there?

Water John wrote: »
    That Victoria Mills was a Montgomery build. But it was built when things were tight. There was lot of issues with the height, at the time.

Jasis John, theres no excuse for it looking like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Water John wrote: »

It's a thing only a mother could love.

I really don't know how architects can design so much ugliness into a building. It's like they couldn't give a fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

marno21 wrote: »
    Until there is a tram running through Dennehy's Cross/College Road there will always be a desire for cars amongst students in Cork. The current bus service is not worth talking about.
    Absolutely there will always be that desire, that desire must be absolutely refuted though. We're not going to hit our 2020 emissions targets at this point and congestion is damaging the recovery, we need a serious reduction in car numbers in the immediate future.

• Advertisement

Has a 70s look to it alright. Retro ha. I suspect the ROI was badly cut by the pull back, literally, in planning.

Advertisement