Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height limits for buildings in Cork City

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Very interesting post on the little used Cork reddit page on this topic:
    Ok, so I am speaking as someone who was involved in a minor role in the initial tender application process and I had access to far more detail of design than Mr Adams did. I have also met Mr Adams through a completely different channel and he is a nice, well meaning guy.

His notion that the existing bonded warehouses will be destroyed is absolute nonsense as they are listed buildings and if there is one thing CCC are good at, it's preservation orders. The existing buildings are very much a feature of the new proposal and they will house boutique shops and cafes on ground floor level at the outskirts and there will be museum inside about cork maritime, history, culture and music. There is also a proposal for a micro distillery as an expansion of the midleton distillery. The footprint of the skyscraper will be the existing free land that is currently a carpark and disused dock at the nose of the site. It will not need the destruction of any existing building to be created.Any joe soap can walk along Albert quay and see that the bonded warehouses are open to the elements and as such will need a facade to use them as cafes and shops. It is this facade that Mr Adams calls "building over them".
    I do think that there will be some element of modernisation built over history but I think this is a beautiful proposal and will celebrate the maritime history of Cork and expand its maritime culture into the future should it go ahead. It will begin the revamping of the docklands and the expansion of the city and fellas like Mr. Adams should get to know the proposal a little better before shouting hyperbole like "destroying buildings".
    Cork needs to embrace change and it needs to move forward.
    No, my last involvement is nearly 2 years ago now. At that time it was still a tender application. The sale went through last summer and the planning process started then. The planning process will finish this summer and then they will begin exploratory works on the piling. The sale is conditional on the piling being feasible so it is by no means a certainty, although Navilus Construction AKA Times Square Construction will still build the max stories feasible. Therefore there will be nothing built for another couple of years.
    These guys are the real deal though, they are a pair of brothers from the ballinskelligs/cahirciveen area. They do concrete for a lot of large skyscrapers and other projects in New York, most notably Artur Ashe Stadium (extension) and the infinity pools at Ground Zero. They have **** all time for the Irish Planning System but are being hand holded through it all by my old boss for a quid pro quo agreement. (Obviously, I ain't gonna tell you who my old boss was!)

Genuine Reason For Worry Or Just Another Person Trying To Prevent Cork City Growth?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not sure it's wise for a political party trying to rebuild itself to align themselves with an uninformed, failed politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think many people, at this stage feel, the Irish planning system, is not fit for purpose. The patch, of critical infrastructure going a different route, leaves the rest of the people with smaller projects still in a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Another article on the skyscraper here, reading the comments most are in favour.

'If you must build something there, it has to be world class' - the saga of the €250 million Cork city skyscraper http://jrnl.ie/3842899

Also saw some good comments, how about making a petition in favour of the development :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

Is city council planning really serious about increasing the hight in new buildings in the city center and docklands. I beginning to think not as there seems to be a trend to reducing floor levels in practically all proposed buildings. Examples would be Metropole Hotet hight reduced by 2/3 floors , Washington Street square deal development reduced floors, Next door on James Street we have the new Cancer Department for the Hospital . Navigation House, 1 Albert Quay reduce from 9 Stories ,O Callaghan proposed 10/12 storie building on Clontarf Street some years also refused, Capital, Opera lane, Jury’s on Lancaster Quay etc etc. I don’t think the hights the devopers were originally looking for in these Buildings was excessive , some of these buildings are in areas zoned for high buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Objection from port of cork lodged against horgans quay plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not commenting on that specific case, but so many objections have to do with, competing financial interests.
    That is a clear abuse of the planning system and brings it into disrepute.
    Often, if we can't stop the development, we'll delay and frustrate it. Hoping, the developers might eventually give up and go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Could be more to that one as the port are taking a case against bam who are involved in the new plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

ofcork wrote: »
    Objection from port of cork lodged against horgans quay plans.

That's been granted permission already assuming it's the development on the site by the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    That's been granted permission already assuming it's the development on the site by the train station.

It's an appeal against the granting of planning permission.

Mainly to do with the working quayside on Horgan's quay. Covering their ass against complaints from residents in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement