Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q: Can I put metal baking trays in the green bin?

Options
  • 26-02-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I've replaced all my baking trays.
    Can I put the old steel ones in the green bin, just like I would do with steel cans?
    The largest one is 12x18".
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Don't think so... unless it has a symbol on it like this.

1200px-Recycling-Code-41.svg.png

You should check who your bins are with for more information.

E.G. Panda : https://www.panda.ie/household/what-can-i-put-in-my-bin/green-bin.html

Or Thorntons : http://thorntons-recycling.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/RepakHelpfulHintsNov2009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alan McG

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to. I have a frying pan that I'd like to recycle but am unsure.

I know that they use various methods to sort the material, one of which is the use of electromagnets to pull any ferrous metal from the line. Along with cans, caps, tins and other household items, these items would also be removed. And arguably they'd be far more valuable in terms of recyclable material.

I hate the idea of sending things like this to the landfill because of lazy policy. They ARE highly recyclable, any company that says otherwise is just not arsed.

I've also wondered about other things like car parts such as wheel trims (ABS plastic - recyclable), wipers (steel), household items like guttering & piping (PVC recyclable). I'd love to get a clear explanation if these companies accept materials like this, and if not why not (not just a cop out excuse as most companies give).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Got to agree. If they are made of mild steel, then they are the same as e.g. baked bean cans. If aluminium, aren't they the same as Coke tins?
    The Panda green bins take food cans and drink cans, so why not these?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

There seems to be very little in the line of food packaging that is recyclable. I've recently been checking and lots of wrappers are not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alan McG

Thanks for clearing that up T-Maxx. Frying pan in the green bin so!

If they have an issue with it I'll just say you told me it was ok.

Advertisement