Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation on toilet cistern.

Options
  • 26-02-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a small downstairs toilet with an old toilet and cistern which is fed off the mains water supply from the road into the house. It's teed off the plastic main and there's no heat in this small room. The utility room appliances next door are also teed off this pipe as is the kitchen sink before it heads upstairs into the tank in the attic. House was built in lates 70's.

The cistern, as well as the copper pipe that feeds it has condensation dripping from it as well as black (mould?). I'm about to get this room tiled but want to resolve this dripping first. Is it the temp difference between the parts/water/room? Are the newer design toilets and cisterns of a better design/quality that this won't happen?

What should I do? Does the incoming pipe need to be insulated? How are modern houses plumbed for small toilets like this?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

I had a problem like this due to the flush valve not sealing properly (you will see little it of water continuously flowing into the toilet bowl). This constant stream of cold mains water topping up the cistern caused a lot of condensation on the cistern and inlet pipes as it never got to room temperature. I replaced the valve and this stopped the continuous stream of cold water coming in and reduced the condensation almost completely.

Advertisement