Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Night rate and Costs to date

• 26-02-2017 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Just a quick warning to all on night rate, After checking my meter due to larger than expected billls I noticed that the incorrect time and date was set incorrectly. It was out by approx 8 hours and many months. This obviously meant that all the night charging and other usage was on day rate!

Took about 3 months and a lot of phone calls but did manage to get a credit. The good news is that deducting this credit my annual electricity bill has only gone up by €30 - this for 17,000km!!!! yes electricity cost have fallen over the year and I have switched usage but €30 just is amazing.
    I reckon I have saved approx €3000 on fuel for the year - not to shabby

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

That's bad. Meter reader should have flagged it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Fastpud

n97 mini wrote: »
    That's bad. Meter reader should have flagged it.

You'd think, ESB said it was like that since May until I noticed it in December!

When we got a dual rate (aka night rate) meter installed the particular model installed had "only" 6 digits. Bit like a car odometer only going to 999,999 miles. The first reading the meter reader flagged it as faulty as it wasn't 7 digits! That was years ago and we're still in 5 digit territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just wondering is there any competition in the dual rate meter: I just got one ,
    am with Panda Power but my year is up.
    Inc VAT it is
    09.85 cents night
    20.32 cents day (up from )
    18.88 cents 24hr

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭ei9go

Fastpud wrote: »
    Just a quick warning to all on night rate, After checking my meter due to larger than expected billls I noticed that the incorrect time and date was set incorrectly. It was out by approx 8 hours and many months. This obviously meant that all the night charging and other usage was on day rate!

Took about 3 months and a lot of phone calls but did manage to get a credit. The good news is that deducting this credit my annual electricity bill has only gone up by €30 - this for 17,000km!!!! yes electricity cost have fallen over the year and I have switched usage but €30 just is amazing.

17,000 Km divided by say 500 km = 34 fillups multiplied by 50 euro = 1,700 Euro.
    Worst case. In my ICE, I reckon about 1,100 Euro for 17,000km.
    Having said that, my ice mileage has dropped dramatically since we got the Zoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just wondering is there any competition in the dual rate meter: I just got one ,
    Inc VAT it is
    09.85 cents night
    18.88 cents 24hr

That's ridiculously expensive. Go to bonkers.ie and it will tell you which is currently cheapest. You should aim for about 7c night and 16c day, you'er paying 30-40% too much :eek:

Rip off Ireland :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Now I only have my Leaf about 10 days so I'm not a good example but a few interesting things, firstly 500 km driven have not used the home charger yet.I got the Night saver and half my consumption since I got it is on Night rate Win Win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Fastpud wrote: »

To be fair, and just to make sure we don't mislead new folk on here, the car has cost you more than €30 for those 17k km's.

Your bill obviously would have gone down by switching to night rate regardless of getting an EV so that's something that you should have done anyway before the EV.

If you did all 17k km's on the home charger you would have used about 3300kWh's @ 8c/kWh so it would cost you €270.... Still very good and only a fraction of what diesel would have cost you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just changed to Energia, day rate (inc. VAT) 13.89c for the first 3,000 units in two month billing period then 22.97c, night rate of 6.65c (inc. VAT) for the first 2,000 units in two month billing period then 11.18c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

slave1 wrote: »
    Just changed to Energia, day rate (inc. VAT) 13.89c for the first 3,000 units in two month billing period then 22.97c, night rate of 6.65c (inc. VAT) for the first 2,000 units in two month billing period then 11.18c

yup, switched to them in Jan , lowest costs of all providers at present

EV adds about 20 euros per month we do approx 2000Km per month in the Leaf so we do full recharges every night except saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

ei9go wrote: »
    17,000 Km divided by say 500 km = 34 fillups multiplied by 50 euro = 1,700 Euro.
    Worst case. In my ICE, I reckon about 1,100 Euro for 17,000km.
    Having said that, my ice mileage has dropped dramatically since we got the Zoe.

What ICE are you driving that it only costs €50 to fill up?
    @ €1.20 a litre, that only gives you a 40 litre tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

My Prius has a 45 litre tank, but if you fill it when it starts beeping and flashing at you there's still 9 litres left in the tank! Toyota obviously don't trust their drivers :) I usually do another 40-60 miles after the gauge goes to "R" and it still only costs me about €50 to fill.

Superminis and smaller cars generally have around 40 litres or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

slave1 wrote: »

Is this the lowest nightrate on the market?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does it cost to swap onto a night meter?
    Current supplier is ESB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

kceire wrote: »
    Current supplier is ESB.

There's an increased standing charge. :-(

kceire wrote: »
    Current supplier is ESB.

No, and it doesn't cost to change back to 24 hour billing either, regardless of what the salesperson tells you.

No, and it doesn't cost to change back to 24 hour billing either, regardless of what the salesperson tells you.

yes it does, there is a charge from esb networks to remove a night rate meter

Inc VAT it is
    09.85 cents night
    18.88 cents 24hr

use bonkers.ie

you can do much better then that

BoatMad wrote: »
    yes it does, there is a charge from esb networks to remove a night rate meter

It doesn't need to be removed. It shows night, day, and 24 hours.

I've been through it... Twice!

• Advertisement

How do people find Energia as a customer? I'm thinking of switching to them too, as I'm currently paying 9c/kWh night rates with Electric Ireland. I think I'll save even with the higher standing charge (I have storage heating too, no gas).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

It doesn't need to be removed. It shows night, day, and 24 hours.

I've been through it... Twice!

Think I heard couple of years ago that esb charge €280 to switch over to day rate only from night rate and take away night rate meter,I still have both day and night meters and thinking of just going day rate only

fepper wrote: »
    Think I heard couple of years ago that esb charge €280 to switch over to day rate only from night rate and take away night rate meter,I still have both day and night meters and thinking of just going day rate only

Why switch back?
    If you shift any few kWh at all onto night rate it pays for itself.

Do you know how many units you used in the last 12 months on night rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

How do people find Energia as a customer? I'm thinking of switching to them too, as I'm currently paying 9c/kWh night rates with Electric Ireland. I think I'll save even with the higher standing charge (I have storage heating too, no gas).

I just switched to Energia this morning from Electric Ireland. Posted on Facebook in the Irish EV Owners page but I'll repeat it here.

Standing charge is up by €30 a year but my rates have gone down plenty.

Day rate
    EI - 0.1615
    Energia - 0.1223

Night rate
    EI - 0.0798
    Energia - 0.0586

Prices ex vat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

KCross wrote: »

I use about 55% of my electricity at night rates.

Somewhat controversial opinion of mine... on boards I've heard people ask similar questions before about the electricity providers.... "how do people find provider X"..... to me they are all the same really.

All you need to do/know is find the cheapest one for your usage profile(use switcher.ie or bonkers.ie) and switch to them. It doesnt matter if its Energia or Airtricity etc... they just send you the bill... the electricity doesnt come from them, that comes from ESB Networks and if there is a fault on the line its not your provider that fixes it, its ESB Networks so it doesnt matter who your provider is.

One possible gotcha is how the different providers do bill estimation. That can vary but it all balances out over the year and its best to submit your own meter readings anyway, which will make that point mute.

Some people complain about Airtricity customer service. I'm with them for quite a while now on two houses and never had to call them and cant see why I would unless they billed me incorrectly or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Why switch back?
    If you shift any few kWh at all onto night rate it pays for itself.

I was milking cows when we put in night rate for night time milk cooling,ice bank compressor and dairy heating water tank and early morning milking which were huge users of electricity especially in hot summers but not milking now so not much to do at night but I won't change it for a while yet

fepper wrote: »
    I was milking cows when we put in night rate for night time milk cooling,ice bank compressor and dairy heating tank and early morning milking which were huge users of electricity especially in hot summers but not milking now so not much to do at night but I won't change it for a while yet

I think 3 or 4 units by night is enough to break even.

If you run appliances(dishwasher, dryer etc) at night it would be enough to leave it in.

If you have an EV then its a no brainer to keep night rate.

I'd say monitor your bills for a few months and see how many units you are using and then decide.

Somewhat controversial opinion of mine... on boards I've heard people ask similar questions before about the electricity providers.... "how do people find provider X"..... to me they are all the same really.

I asked more due to previous experiences with telecoms providers - screwing up bills, poor service/customer support, etc. If that's not really a problem with electricity suppliers then that's great :)

• Advertisement

I asked more due to previous experiences with telecoms providers - screwing up bills, poor service/customer support, etc. If that's not really a problem with electricity suppliers then that's great :)

I think the key thing is submit your own meter readings and then there will be no surprises. I get a text from Airtricity 3 days in advance to remind me to submit my reading. App on the phone, enter the two numbers and submit. Simple. Never needed customer support and the bills are always fine.... and I check!

The electricity providers are not involved in any way in providing you the actual electricity which is different to broadband providers so needing an electric providers customer support is not common unless you do have a billing issue.

Personally, I'd rather risk spending an hour, as a one off, on the phone with crap customer service and have ongoing cheap electricity saving me hundreds than to pay above the odds because they supposedly have good customer service.

The electricity providers. to me anyway, are nothing more than billing entities.

Advertisement