Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Night rate and Costs to date

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Mope wrote: »
    On topic: I do not have night rate :O

Will need to ring I guess ESB to check what has to be done to have one installed/setup.
    Ring whoever your supplier is.
    However it might be good to check if your earth is neutralised before you call them.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mope wrote: »
    On topic: I do not have night rate :O

Will need to ring I guess ESB to check what has to be done to have one installed/setup.

Ring your supplier of electricity. They will organise a 24h meter. It will cost you €0.00 and it should be done within 1 or 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Ring whoever your supplier is.
    However it might be good to check if your earth is neutralised before you call them.

I would have 0 knowledge how to check that, but I'd hope house built just few years ago should have it? Is there a simple (visual) way to determine this?

I currently have 15.02 cent/kWh rate which I think is expensive with what I saw on here. Looking at my Nov-Jan bill I used 347 Units, 895 kWh in last 12 months, If I read it correctly. To be completely honest - never in my live looked at that bill before now :o (reading bonkers.ie now)

Better now than never, huh?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

My house uses 2 units per 24 hiours quiescent , or around 1.5 kWh during day rate hours. So typically I will have 90 units minimum or around 14-20 Euro or less then 30 cents a day.

Given the standing charge is nearly half the bill , I can't see much point in turning off the house during the day. ( not to mention having to reprogram 5 clocks on appliances !!! And waiting for my broadband to restart etc )

Seems crazy to me to switch offyour house off in the day time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah that's extreme.

In my situation I couldn't do it as I have a tropical fish tank and I don't think the fishies would approve.

But if I didn't have the tank the usage during the day would be so low that killing the power while I'm out would be pointless.

I still don't understand how anyone can get 95% night usage even if they are defrosting the freezer daily.

Surely if you come home at (for example) 6pm, the fridge and freezer will have to work full pelt to bring the temperatures back where they should be rather than just maintaining so that's 5-6 hours of use.

And other evening usage?

No TV til after midnight folks, electricity is too expensive.

Cup of tea? Sure. In a few hours...

Sorry, I'm calling shenanigans on the 95% figure. Most people here use their washer, dryer, dishwasher etc on overnight timers and still only manage about 60% night use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

And other evening usage?
    Got rid of all the downlights
    Just one light at the middle of the sealing
    And all Led lights 1 to 5 Watts

Led tv not using that much

Boiling water in a kettle on the gashob
    60 Euro`s gas a year (bottles)

From your freezer I would probably have become seriously ill, or worse
    A good 5 star freezer goes to -25
    When its of it just get in there unopened about a 4 degrees warmer so at the evening its around -21
    and we wont have stuff for long in it a month max
    Doing one a month shoppings and goes in the freezer

And why doing this all it saves a lot of money
    lived for almost 5 years on benefits and then you go find out a lot of things/ ways to save money
    Have a full time job now but we liked the savings we`ve made so still going on with is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

And other evening usage?
    Got rid of all the downlights
    Just one light at the middle of the sealing
    And all Led lights 1 to 5 Watts

Led tv not using that much

Boiling water in a kettle on the gashob
    60 Euro`s gas a year (bottles)

From your freezer I would probably have become seriously ill, or worse
    A good 5 star freezer goes to -25
    When its of it just get in there unopened about a 4 degrees warmer so at the evening its around -21
    and we wont have stuff for long in it a month max

And why doing this all it saves a lot of money
    lived for almost 5 years on benefits and then you go find out a lot of things/ ways to save money
    Have a full time job now but we liked the savings we`ve made so still going on with is

seriously mate your winding us up arnt you , your saving about 1 euro per day at the very most and in general somewhere are 35-50 cents a day on average by what you are doing

personally , I rather watch a bit of TV , not fall down the stairs in the dark and not cook dinner at 4 in the morning .....

very bad way to buy food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Leccy Adolf! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I just checked the meter today and both the day and night rate units match, so it 50/50 for us at the moment.

Advertisement