Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Chicago help

Options
  • 26-02-2017 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hey,
    Myself and a friend have just gotten jobs in chicago for the summer 2017! :) Only problem is the base camp we need to go to seems a bit out near Fuller Par, New city etc Can anyone suggest anywhere we could stay thats cheapish and also not too far away AND is still allowing us to meet up with other J1'ers??

We're stressing that we've accepted jobs that are in the middle of nowhere please help haha! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I cant help you on cheap accommodation, but I'm guessing that your work will be near a red line stop. I wouldn't recommend living in the immediate area of Fuller Park, but the south loop is around a 15-20 minute train ride away and has lots of accommodation, bars and restaurants etc.

I'm an old fogey at this stage, but my cousin was over on a J1 a few years ago and lived in an apartment in the south loop along with a lot of other J1ers and had a great time. Failing that, Bridgeport is an ok area too and closer to where you're working. Little Italy and around UIC is another decent area and there are plenty of buses going south

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Most J1ers stay to the north of the city... Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville etc. Long time since I did my J1 there, the rule of thumb I remember hearing at the time was the further south or west you go, the rougher it gets. Naturally I lived in Hyde Park :D But it was right by the University so was ok-ish. Only experience of Fuller Park was the Garfield L stop, and vicinity, was pretty rough tbh.

Advertisement