Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Software

Options
  • 27-02-2017 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm looking for recommendations for software for building a website with for my new business. Basic functions like blog posts and contact functions. I have no startup capital so need it to be as cheap as possible. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

Wix or weebly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Wordpress can be pretty quick to throw together too. But feels a bit samey if you don't consider purchasing a "premium" template (usually well under 50 quid)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Cork2017 wrote: »
    I'm looking for recommendations for software for building a website with for my new business. Basic functions like blog posts and contact functions. I have no startup capital so need it to be as cheap as possible. Thank you

You might want to check out enterprise ireland, they offer a grant for websites.

Its worth spending money on your website and getting an expert, not even from a design point of view (you can knock out a wordpress site with domain in less than 24 hours) but from a SEO point of view, if you get low traffic because you are not visible in google searches, you end up paying more in adwords, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cork2017

Thanks everyone. Yes davindub I'll make contact with my local enterprise office but didn't think there was much help or funding for new business unless they are manufacturing. I'm just setting up a finance business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Cork2017 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Yes davindub I'll make contact with my local enterprise office but didn't think there was much help or funding for new business unless they are manufacturing. I'm just setting up a finance business.

there is a grant specifically for websites.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

davindub wrote: »
    You might want to check out enterprise ireland, they offer a grant for websites.

That grant is for businesses that have been in operation 12 months, not for new businesses. See proper link here

Look at a self hosted wordpress website - wix and weebly are very basic and you will have restrictions like hosting it with them at a .wix domain. You want to have your own domain so down the line you can build a better website as needs be and not lose out on any traffic and SEO work you have done already.

Pay for some basic hosting and then install Wordpress and get a free theme - heres a list of some good ones here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Depending on your industry, 60 to 90% of the consumers mind is made up before they even contact you. A poor website is like the message board at the door of Tesco's, sure it still exists but who actually reads it? You need to instill trust and confidence in the consumer. Its literally your sales pitch. And if its a poor site or badly layout, critical if it doesn't work on mobile, you'll loose the sale.

The site has to be up to scratch and meet minimum criteria for it to even be considered ranked on Google. It may sound like a lot but 500EUR for a week of a web dev would be money well spent, as you'll loose a lot more clients than you gain with a poor website. Most websites we create are cost neutral if not paid back within a 1 to 3 weeks of go live based on sales or leads generated. Especially if you are working in the finance sector, you must stand out.

Advertisement