Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart home alarm over wifi

Options
  • 27-02-2017 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Are there any recommended makes/models of home alarm systems that use WiFi for control and monitoring?
    I read some older posts from a few years ago asking similar questions but back then the manufacturers were only planning apps and upgraded panels.
    I'm looking to control the alarm over IP and maybe add an IP camera.
    Just seen HKC's securecomm app, any feedback on this outside of the appstore feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

When you say monitoring, do you mean Gardai monitoring?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Are there any recommended makes/models of home alarm systems that use WiFi for control and monitoring?
    I read some older posts from a few years ago asking similar questions but back then the manufacturers were only planning apps and upgraded panels.
    I'm looking to control the alarm over IP and maybe add an IP camera.
    Just seen HKC's securecomm app, any feedback on this outside of the appstore feedback?

I take it you are looking at self monitoring and control via a smart phone app.
    Most good systems have these features nowadays.
    As an installer my recommendations would be for
    Siemens Vanderbilt, Risco or GSD as they all have the option of free apps and usage without incurring ongoing charges.
    There's plenty of information in the sticky and some other threads on the differences between systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

OP just be aware that if you are depending on your own router to be notified of activation's of your alarm system, then it will not work in the event of a power cut.
    Proper Intruder Alarm systems will continue to operate in the event of a power cut, therefore should they activate, you will not be notified because your router or the broadband cabinet in your vicinity, have back up power.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most systems would have a free option with different costs involved if you want back up over other paths. Prices vary a lot.
    There is plenty of valuable information in the sticky here and there are plenty of ways to back up com,s with & without getting tied to one supplier etc.
    As always , shop around is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

kub wrote: »
    OP just be aware that if you are depending on your own router to be notified of activation's of your alarm system, then it will not work in the event of a power cut.
    Proper Intruder Alarm systems will continue to operate in the event of a power cut, therefore should they activate, you will not be notified because your router or the broadband cabinet in your vicinity, have back up power.

+1

If using Wifi for self monitoring your alarm system a back up path should also be used for the reason mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Op please be careful when using a free app/service . They are not obliged to keep the service active and can revoke access at will.
    When you pay for a service you have a leg to stand on should it fail and they must notify you before hand if they wish to remove access..

My recommendation would be the HKC securecomm service. HKC is Irelands most popular alarm.

Pyronix would be another recommendation. They are big in the U.K.

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Op please be careful when using a free app/service . They are not obliged to keep the service active and can revoke access at will.
    When you pay for a service you have a leg to stand on should it fail and they must notify you before hand if they wish to remove access..

My recommendation would be the HKC securecomm service. HKC is Irelands most popular alarm.

Pyronix would be another recommendation. They are big in the U.K.

Do they charge for the app service?

Yeah they do.

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Yeah they do.

What to do they charge?

What to do they charge?

Won't post here .. il send you a PM

• Advertisement

Yes. I think its £36 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will check out the systems mentioned and the sticks links.
    One thing I heard about the WiFi enabled systems is that they are not as secure as the gsm based systems(ie WiFi can be hacked) so its a riskier option to go the WiFi route and there is also the snipped wire problem as mentioned above i.e if the boyos snip the phone/data line then the WiFi is disabled so no notification to you on the phone. Despite these issues I think WiFi gets the nod over gsm due to the sim costs. I'll keep researching this and will post the best options later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Just be mindful of the saying, ' you get what you pay for ' because is is very true when it comes to security systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

I got Siemens system last year. Very happy so far. When the broadband is down, i get an email from Siemens notifying that the internet is down and another email when it goes back online. All manageable thru the free app. The only thing which would be ideal if there are app notifications as opposed to the e-mails.

bbari wrote: »
    I got Siemens system last year. Very happy so far. When the broadband is down, i get an email from Siemens notifying that the internet is down and another email when it goes back online. All manageable thru the free app. The only thing which would be ideal if there are app notifications as opposed to the e-mails.

Yes, not bad for a free option but there can be a delay before your phone will sync with your email server.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Where can I buy the alarm systems in Ireland. Like Risco, hkc, Siemens ?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will check out the systems mentioned and the sticks links.
    One thing I heard about the WiFi enabled systems is that they are not as secure as the gsm based systems(ie WiFi can be hacked) so its a riskier option to go the WiFi route and there is also the snipped wire problem as mentioned above i.e if the boyos snip the phone/data line then the WiFi is disabled so no notification to you on the phone. Despite these issues I think WiFi gets the nod over gsm due to the sim costs. I'll keep researching this and will post the best options later.

All options can be hacked or disabled.Not all systems use WiFi, they can be hardwired via LAN also. Network can be take down,GSM can be jammed etc. The important thing is can use multiple paths for notifications and how quick you will be notified if multiple comms paths go down.Some will notify you in minutes, others can be 90 minutes & some systems can be 8 hours before you are notified of a total comms fail.
    Yes, not bad for a free option but there can be a delay before your phone will sync with your email server.
    I have tested Siemens down to 30 seconds on a comms fail over various paths. If you use the likes of Gmail , email notifications are pushed instantly. As quick as any push notification.
    Where can I buy the alarm systems in Ireland. Like Risco, hkc, Siemens ?
    Are you looking to self install?
    Most suppliers would supply Siemens/Vanderbilt & HKC.
    REW in ballymount and Finglas would have all 3.

Advertisement