Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow of Mordor (Shadow of War)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

sweetie wrote: »
    Finished it myself last night (72%)and I really liked it. I'll trade it in and maybe rebuy if theres decent DLC and a GOTY version in the future.
    The Bruz and Zog storylines were great, not so mad on the nazgul and elandriel.

did you get the true ending ? i just watched it on youtube after i finished it. tied the game up nicely i thought.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Started this over the weekend, other games have me by the balls at the moment but i keep booting this up and playing a bit here and there as its a lot of fun.
    Quick question when do i start to recruit orcs and build an army ive heard so much about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Dcully wrote: »
    Started this over the weekend, other games have me by the balls at the moment but i keep booting this up and playing a bit here and there as its a lot of fun.
    Quick question when do i start to recruit orcs and build an army ive heard so much about?

pretty much immediately if you start doing the story quests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I didn't think I strayed very far from the questline and I didn't start building my army until about 5 hours in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Start of act 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm really enjoying it as well. Still haven't gotten to any major grind (almost done Act 2 i think), but i can see it getting a bit repetitive in the long run. Still, 25 hours in and well worth the €40 odd i spent on it.

I've been pretty much exclusively recruiting Olog-hai's (Trolls?), as all other captains seem to get killed immediately during sieges.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Playing this on and off but i think ive got to the stage now where its all become very repetitive, so much so it feels like a chore to play now :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kind of the same for me. I'll play it a bit more over the weekend, but i'm pretty sure i won't bother finishing it, and will just watch the ending on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Any estimates on when it'll be €10?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Playing this on and off but i think ive got to the stage now where its all become very repetitive, so much so it feels like a chore to play now :(

Yeah i think the only thing i didnt 100% was the fort take over stuff shadow wars what ever the feck its called, it was so annoying. You have your army defending and yet you die once the fort is taken it was so feckin frustrating. That said i did enjoy the game it was very repetitive and i dont think the nemesis system was as varied as the previous game time and time again i would get guys with the same names and similar looks.

and after using cheat engine to get as many loot box's as i wanted you can see they definitely took a lot out to put in the loot crates the ****, and the worst crime of all !!! you can get new weapons and gangs for your favorite orcs but it was all taken out and stuck behind loot box's which I never seen mentioned in any reviews. :mad: Clearly it was stuff should have been in the game loot table's from beating orc bosses. bleh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

So this is on the christmas PSN sale. I want it but I got bored of the first game so I'm not sure. is it worth 30 quid?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So this is on the christmas PSN sale. I want it but I got bored of the first game so I'm not sure. is it worth 30 quid?

I'm enjoying it so far, doubt you'd like it if you found the first game so boring you didn't finish it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Got this for Xmas, played a few hours of it today. It's okay, though once you've had the fun of dominating enemies in the previous game you really miss it from the early part of this one. Hope it doesn't take too much longer for me to unlock it.

Other than that, only annoyance is getting stuck in some places, like when on ropes between buildings it might not let me get off the rope at the end and just step onto the building, or one fight where I got stuck on some steps in front of a door and couldn't get off even with enemies attacking me. Couldn't jump over them to get off or anything. Think an execution managed to get me free of them.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I "finished" it about a week ago and enjoyed it a lot, unfortunately I felt the army construction/dominating stuff had fairly worn out its welcome by the time the shadow wars stuff rolls around so I was in no mood for doing that part, which was kind of a shame as leveling up the orcs in the campaign was a fair bit of fun at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I finished it the other night and was happy enough leaving it without going on to do the fortress stuff

Any way to stop captains betraying you? One of my best turned on me and couldn't be dominated again due to iron will.

I knew it could happen, I just want to know is there a way to stop certain ones from doing it, make them your bodyguard or something? F*cker was my best captain. Kinda means there's no point having favourites or learning names if any of them can turn on you at any time for no reason

Also, am I automatically in the online conquest stuff or does it only happen if I attack someone else first (like with Mgsv)?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Penn wrote: »
    Any way to stop captains betraying you? One of my best turned on me and couldn't be dominated again due to iron will.

I knew it could happen, I just want to know is there a way to stop certain ones from doing it, make them your bodyguard or something? F*cker was my best captain. Kinda means there's no point having favourites or learning names if any of them can turn on you at any time for no reason

That's the reason I stopped playing, they all turned on me the bastards!

You can try shaming them, there's a chance it will remove Iron Will so you can dominate them again.

I think the betrayals are random though if they have a bloodbrother which you attack you can trigger one.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You can try shaming them, there's a chance it will remove Iron Will so you can dominate them again.

I think the betrayals are random though if they have a bloodbrother which you attack you can trigger one.

Shaming them knocks about 5 levels off them though doesn't it? Not much point keeping them after that

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Shaming them knocks about 5 levels off them though doesn't it? Not much point keeping them after that

You can level them up again pretty quick, just send them on nemesis missions.

The sieges are far too easy, especially when you've already dominated the warchiefs. They essentially just become a boss fight against the overlord, and even then I took down a Lvl47 one when I was only a little over Lvl20 myself (bodyguard played a big help).

Have to say the whole concept feels like a waste of time, though I figure it plays a bigger part in the second portion of the game to get the true ending or whatever. Dunno if I'll be arsed with it though, story isn't exactly gripping.

Still though, enjoying the gameplay and love meeting some of the more unique Orcs, like screamers and poets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Started this the other day, tbh, its not grabbing me at all so far, I've moved onto the second area, but I've no sense of engagement with it. Theres also some bits that are rubbing me up the wrong way in comparison to the first.

1. I feel completely OP, straight from the off, playing on normal difficulty and having no issue with cutting down anything that comes in my way
    2. The movement / traversal - I don't remember being able to leap across huge open spaces and scale walls like spiderman in the previous game.
    3. Tying in to number 1, the captains and nemesis system dont feel like much of a threat. had one instance where I was fairly low level, 3 or so, and next thing I got attacked by 3 captains. All it was, was a slightly longer fight, not the mad struggle that you had in the first game, theres also no real incentive to be poisoning barrells etc as it seems like the vast majority of orcs can be outright ignored altogether as your movement abilities let you rip past them like they weren't even there.

I'll give it another bit of time, but its not setting my world alight so far.

3. Tying in to number 1, the captains and nemesis system dont feel like much of a threat. had one instance where I was fairly low level, 3 or so, and next thing I got attacked by 3 captains. All it was, was a slightly longer fight, not the mad struggle that you had in the first game, theres also no real incentive to be poisoning barrells etc as it seems like the vast majority of orcs can be outright ignored altogether as your movement abilities let you rip past them like they weren't even there.

Yeah from very early in the game I realised you could just run right past enemies even including caragors and you'd still be safe enough, especially with certain skills.

Some captains can be tricky with the right strengths/weaknesses, especially ones who are vault breakers and immune to frost. But yeah none of them really ever gave too much of a fight that couldn't be overcome, just switch up your usual tactics a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I played the first one about a year back and you're able to climb a 100ft tower in 5-10 seconds leaping from side to side quite easily, not sure if they've scaled that up a lot or anything though since I've yet to get onto this. Oh, and try upping the difficulty level then! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Zog has been the hardest for me so far. I think that the game has become too diluted. Getting ambushed constantly while attacking multiple Captains is a pain AND the monologues that they constantly spew out when they arrive completely breaks up the action for me.

Still plugging away but nowhere near as good as the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Zog has been the hardest for me so far. I think that the game has become too diluted. Getting ambushed constantly while attacking multiple Captains is a pain AND the monologues that they constantly spew out when they arrive completely breaks up the action for me.

Still plugging away but nowhere near as good as the first one.

Agree with the monologues especially after a number of hours playing the game you hear the same stuff over again plus you cant skip it which is insane. I enjoyed the game but it was definitely missing something the first one was far better i think.

I'm still playing the shadow war fortress thing which is a bit of a challenge alright but the game just felt very aimless or something whereas the first one was focused. Still well worth it for the sale price i though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Thought I was getting a great deal on GMG with 17% off and 23% off on top of that.
    Went to redeem the game on Steam and got a popup that I need the base game to redeem the code.
    Looks like I accidentally bought the expansion pass.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Said i'd give this another chance over the weekend before I consigned it to the 'never to be completed' heap.

Funnily enough, I found myself getting drawn into it, have played up to the end of act 1,
    having just met the blade of galadriel and saw castamir killed
    . In the last few story missions the, pace has picked up quite nicely, and I'm actually looking forward to playing a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Finished this and tried one of the end game fortress missions. Spent a good few hours dominating the warchiefs, unlocking and leveling up my captains etc... Mission was going great was at last capture point... Caragor jumps at me. Not 1 but 2 QTE in a row, double pressed the first button for the second button press. Wham back to spawn and start from the beginning to capture the fortress. I'm out...!

Advertisement