Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow of Mordor (Shadow of War)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Think it was Dragon Age Origins the standalone add on to the first game.
    So maybe a couple of hours in on your travels you approach a camp fire and there are a few people gathered about it and they spin you their epic tale of woe, and as with any good bioware game, you ask questions, and they respond, the story sounds interesting and cool, then at the end of their story there is a clickbox to purchase that mission to help them :eek:

Penny Arcade did a joke on it - Thats 2009, thats the first time microtransactions hit home for me. With oblivion they werent in your face or anything like that.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/06

thats not microtransactions, that is poorly implemented DLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I bought Arkham Knight and actually had zero issues apart from one crash and some occasional jitters/poor frame rates in the hour or two on the airship. Mind you I bought it a few months ago, long long after the mess that was the opening few months - just throwing that out there in case anyone is thinking of buying (I really enjoyed the game).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Billy86 wrote: »
    I bought Arkham Knight and actually had zero issues apart from one crash and some occasional jitters/poor frame rates in the hour or two on the airship. Mind you I bought it a few months ago, long long after the mess that was the opening few months - just throwing that out there in case anyone is thinking of buying (I really enjoyed the game).

On par with Arkham City? I hear the driving parts are tedious... I really enjoyed Asylum and City even though I wouldn't be a comic book fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Shiminay wrote:
    It's Warner Bros, you'd want to be a head case to pre-order anything they make after the farce that was Batman Arkham Knight (aside from the fact that it was definitely the worst of the series in my opinion) and the game breaking bugs that came out on launch in Arkham Origins too.

Your right about Knight's quality. Didn't they ignore the game breaking bugs in origins (despite it literally reusing most of Arkham City's map) & focus on making the DLC instead....
    Too much about this stinks for it to not be affecting the final product. The sexy Shelob thing is from the moon from my perspective anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

wes wrote: »
    He is a 100% right about this nonsense. Micro transactions are going to destroy the gaming industry.
    I don't know.

I think the cream will rise to the top naturally, aka indie stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

thats not microtransactions, that is poorly implemented DLC.

Honestly i dont accept there being a difference. Anything that is seperate to the original hefty AAA title purchase price is an additional transaction. Its pure marketing spiel to try and label them differently.

If you look at the likes of Total War Warhammer - there are different factions available as DLC or small items like additional Lords. But its all handled through the steam page, once you are in game there is no hints to buy xyz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Personally loved Arkham Knight. Although I got it on PS4 and game breaking bugs were PC only? It's still no excuse, shouldn't have been released on PC if it was so bad. If I ever buy this (big if) , it will be when it's cheap and second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Falthyron wrote: »
    On par with Arkham City? I hear the driving parts are tedious... I really enjoyed Asylum and City even though I wouldn't be a comic book fan.

I was a late adapter to the Knight game, mainly because i played the first 3 on PC so wanted to continue on that. I did pre-order the GOTY edition or whatever it was called. Got it with all future DLC. But i didn't install it until months after release, and similar to Billy86 above, aside from the odd crash and frame rate drop, it played fine for me! Medium-High settings.

And i enjoyed it, was a bit worried about the vehicle parts, but they weren't very often and didn't take long to do. And they're not the worst, i've had worse driving in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I was a late adapter to the Knight game, mainly because i played the first 3 on PC so wanted to continue on that. I did pre-order the GOTY edition or whatever it was called. Got it with all future DLC. But i didn't install it until months after release, and similar to Billy86 above, aside from the odd crash and frame rate drop, it played fine for me! Medium-High settings.

And i enjoyed it, was a bit worried about the vehicle parts, but they weren't very often and didn't take long to do. And they're not the worst, i've had worse driving in games.

Cheers! Gonna try and pick it up when its back on sale. I think it goes for around 12 euro including all the DLC.

I would say similar, enjoyed the game quite a lot (though never bothered finishing the 7 million Riddler trophies), was playing on ultra on a 970/i5 6600K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I'm not taking your bait! :P

so if someone disagrees with you its baiting then?

if you dont want to buy stuff then dont its hardly blocking off content.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

jcd5971 wrote: »
    so if someone disagrees with you its baiting then?

No.

It was a light hearted comment based on the fact I'd made 2 fairly detailed posts against the entirety of this debacle just previous to your post.

The tiniest of polls from 2 weeks ago has come back with a result

Warner Bros have successfully turned 75% of us off their product.

15 people (incl me) decided to not get the game at launch now (either at all, or will wait till it's bargin bin/on sale/2nd hand"?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104334393&postcount=159

And 5 will Thank this post if you will still buy it Day-1 (or near launch) despite the recent developments
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104334405&postcount=160

With this sample size it's safe to say they may as well put the company into liquidation now

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm surprised the dislike bar isn't longer and the Youtube comments aren't that negative.

"Am I out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

J. Marston wrote: »

I'm surprised the dislike bar isn't longer and the Youtube comments aren't that negative.

"Am I out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong."

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was never a major fan of the first game - interesting systems restricted by a dull-as-anything open world game. Solid effort and all that.

So I'm not paying a whole lot of attention to the sequel, but it does appear as if they're going out of their way to make something emblematic of everything that is ****ty and shifty about AAA games in 2017.

Outside of Zelda (or RE7 if we're counting it, though it was a very short game) are there going to be any AAA title in 2017 that don't wind up disappointing and/or resulting in a 'meh'?

• Billy86 wrote: »
    Outside of Zelda (or RE7 if we're counting it, though it was a very short game) are there going to be any AAA title in 2017 that don't wind up disappointing and/or resulting in a 'meh'?

Wolfenstien II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Was never a major fan of the first game - interesting systems restricted by a dull-as-anything open world game. Solid effort and all that.

So I'm not paying a whole lot of attention to the sequel, but it does appear as if they're going out of their way to make something emblematic of everything that is ****ty and shifty about AAA games in 2017.

I just finished the first game there and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to having a crack at this. The handy thing about all this bad publicity is that the second game is sure to drop in price very rapidly.

I hope so, trailer does look very good for it at least! Picked up New Order & Old Blood so will try get them done at some point this year and pick it up maybe after Christmas.

• Advertisement

• Billy86 wrote: »
    I hope so, trailer does look very good for it at least! Picked up New Order & Old Blood so will try get them done at some point this year and pick it up maybe after Christmas.

I'd suggest playing them in Order before playing the new game (pun intended :))
    Actually a great story to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

We must pray to the Bannerlord gods!

Well.... this debacle is the gift that keeps on giving in terms of sour tasting newbites...

So they added in this...

https://twitter.com/shadowofwargame/status/903376881050828800

But the below implies WB will actually just pocket the €5 if you're outside the USA
    WB will donate to the Forgey family $3.50 from every purchase of Forthog made from the U.S. (exc. AL, HI, IL, MA, MS, SC) through 2019. Void where prohibited. Purchase is not tax deductible.

TotalBiscuit did a video on it.

And obviously Jim Sterling has been vocal about.... basically everything (as per usual) :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's like Warner Bros. are actively trying to be the most evil publisher out there. I mean Zenimax are bad but this is way beyond those arseholes.

Warner Bros. are also responsible for Arkham combat in games and for blocking the re-release of the No One Lives Forever so **** them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I have high hopes for The Fractured But Whole

Not trying to be overly negative but my reaction to pretty much every thing i hear about SoW is now...

293344f48efe539b968f7883b2585494bf7426c9d092c7af894a1efd0b14aba4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is the first one worth a spin at €20? The reviews look very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

keane2097 wrote: »

I thought you might be able to get it for cheaper by now, but yeah, it's worth it imo, and i've no interest in the Lord of the Rings lore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Its 3,89 on cdkeys for the PC game of the year edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Only game i've finished to 100% bar Super Mario World

Loved every second of it and just recently bought a XBone S specifically to play the sequel

Advertisement