Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV to a subpanel

Options
  • 27-02-2017 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭

So... I'm building a new DIY solar PV install for a family member. I'm planning out and doing the ground mounts and solar install, with a RECI doing inspection and final connection.

Starting him off with a 4.2kWp array and using microinverters on the back of every panel for the first time (I've previously used string inverters). But the plan is to expand the system over time to 12.6-15kWp.

For those who don't know much about solar, I'm going from DC to AC with a small 240W DC-AC inverter on the back of every panel. The AC cabling at the back of the panel connects to the last and next panels, with 15-16 panels per string, these wiring harnesses are 6sqmm with IP67 connectors.

The microinverters are EN50438 certified and there are two layers of automatic disconnection when AC is not present, at the end of run terminal and at each microinverter. Power output from the array will be dynamically de-rated to the power consumption measured by a clamp meter between the the ESB meter and the CU .

I'm running power back through a 35 meter buried duct to a subpanel in a shed which is already fed from the main consumer unit by a 16sqmm SWA with 63A breakers. The subpanel is already used to feed two EV chargepoints (230V/48A total) and I'll be replacing both with smart chargepoints which can load share automatically (I can set them for whatever total load I want from 4A single phase up to 44kW 63A 3-phase).

I've specced 16sqmm 5-core SWA, so that in the event the government introduces a feed-in tariff I can dump the micro inverters and go to a three phase string inverter located at the arrays (the microgenerator MEC is 5kW single phase and 11kW for 3-phase). Manual disconnect switches both ends of the run (array-side and subpanel-side). Needless to say, 45 meters of that spec of cable is pricey.

So I've got 2 questions:
    The future three phase requirement will max out at 25A per phase and the intervening single phase installs (4.2/8.4/12.6 kW) will throughput 18A, 36A or 55A peak respectively, can I lay 10sqmm 5 core and run live and neutral parallelled over pairs of the 5-core, or split the individual micro inverter strings among the cores?
    Will there be any electrical regs issues bringing the solar in at the subpanel rather than the main CU?
    My reading so far is that a dual supply notice must be placed at the meter, consumer unit and subpanel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

You lost me here... it looks like you know everything !
    Whats the question !?? :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

cros13 wrote: »
    So... I'm building a new DIY solar PV install for a family member. I'm planning out and doing the ground mounts and solar install, with a RECI doing inspection and final connection.

Is this a domestic installation? If so RECI can't certify your work. Anything other than "minor electrical works" (see forum charter for more details) in a domestic installation must be carried out by a registered electrical contractor.
    Starting him off with a 4.2kWp array and using microinverters on the back of every panel for the first time (I've previously used string inverters). But the plan is to expand the system over time to 12.6-15kWp.

Cool.
    For those who don't know much about solar, I'm going from DC to AC with a small 240W DC-AC inverter on the back of every panel. The AC cabling at the back of the panel connects to the last and next panels, with 15-16 panels per string, these wiring harnesses are 6sqmm with IP67 connectors.

So 15 or 16 microinverters? How do they sync with each other and the ESB supply?
    The microinverters are EN50438 certified and there are two layers of automatic disconnection when AC is not present, at the end of run terminal and at each microinverter.

Out of interest, why disconnect when AC is not present? Is this output AC from the inverter?
    Power output from the array will be dynamically de-rated to the power consumption measured by a clamp meter between the the ESB meter and the CU .

Not sure what you mean here. Are you modulating the load according to the power available from the solar array?
    I'm running power back through a 35 meter buried duct to a subpanel in a shed which is already fed from the main consumer unit by a 16sqmm SWA with 63A breakers.

Impossible to know if these cables are correctly sized. Under nominal load conditions what percentage volt drop is there at the furthest point on final circuits?

The subpanel is already used to feed two EV chargepoints (230V/48A total) and I'll be replacing both with smart chargepoints which can load share automatically (I can set them for whatever total load I want from 4A single phase up to 44kW 63A 3-phase).

Load share from both the solar and ESB supply?
    I've specced 16sqmm 5-core SWA, so that in the event the government introduces a feed-in tariff I can dump the micro inverters and go to a three phase string inverter located at the arrays (the microgenerator MEC is 5kW single phase and 11kW for 3-phase). Manual disconnect switches both ends of the run (array-side and subpanel-side). Needless to say, 45 meters of that spec of cable is pricey.

What is the max input voltage to the inverter units? (I assume the output is 230V, 50Hz 1 phase).
    The future three phase requirement will max out at 25A per phase

With a 400V line voltage 25A per phase is 17.32 kVA. Above you state that this is 11 kW. Is the power factor that bad ??
    and the intervening single phase installs (4.2/8.4/12.6 kW) will throughput 18A, 36A or 55A peak respectively, can I lay 10sqmm 5 core and run live and neutral parallelled over pairs of the 5-core, or split the individual micro inverter strings among the cores?

Not too sure what you mean. Can you draw it out?
    Paralleling conductors is permitted.
    The essentials are that cables are correctly sized and adequately protected.
    Remember when generating small amounts of power at low voltage smaller sized cables will result in higher losses due to volt drop.
    Moving the inverter(s) as close as possible to the panels may help reduce the cable losses.
    Will there be any electrical regs issues bringing the solar in at the subpanel rather than the main CU?

I can't see an issue with that.
    My reading so far is that a dual supply notice must be placed at the meter, consumer unit and subpanel.

I'm not familiar with that to be honest, but what you are suggesting makes sense to me.
    I am working in renewables at present but we connect in to the grid on a much larger scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

2011 wrote: »
    and the intervening single phase installs (4.2/8.4/12.6 kW) will throughput 18A, 36A or 55A peak respectively, can I lay 10sqmm 5 core and run live and neutral parallelled over pairs of the 5-core, or split the individual micro inverter strings among the cores?

Remember when generating small amounts of power at low voltage smaller sized cables will result in higher losses due to volt drop.
    Moving the inverter(s) as close as possible to the panels may help reduce the cable losses.

I can't see an issue with that.

I'm not familiar with that to be honest, but what you are suggesting makes sense to me.
    I am working in renewables at present but we connect in to the grid on a much larger scale.

As 2011 says, definitely need to see that schematic drawn out to address the query about paralleling etc.... for reasons regarding your second query

On the issue of dual supplies etc... you more need to provide a G59 relay to disconnect the PV if there is no mains from ESB Networks.
    See description here: http://www.connectingindustry.com/ElectricalEngineering/what-is-g59.aspx
    I would guess your inverter panels have this circuitry already? You mention this:

The microinverters are EN50438 certified and there are two layers of automatic disconnection when AC is not present, at the end of run terminal and at each microinverter. Power output from the array will be dynamically de-rated to the power consumption measured by a clamp meter between the the ESB meter and the CU .

I would be a little concerned that if there are multiple automatic disconnections ongoing, one PV could indicate to others that there is mains, so there may in fact not be any mains disconnection... There is only a single "end of run terminal"?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dardania wrote: »
    On the issue of dual supplies etc... you more need to provide a G59 relay to disconnect the PV if there is no mains from ESB

That makes sense, I misread that part of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Is this a domestic installation? If so RECI can't certify your work. Anything other than "minor electrical works" (see forum charter for more details) in a domestic installation must be carried out by a registered electrical contractor.

It's severable, there is a separate commercial supply which I can connect all this stuff to and move loads. The shed subpanel from the domestic supply is beside the commercial panel. So I could do it as commercial, although this will prevent him using the power for the domestic loads.

I have an existing agreement with a RECI, I do the ductwork, grounding rods, pull the cables. He terminates cables (including grounding my mounting frames etc.) and connects it all up. The Solar PV side is just low voltage DC and plugging in pre-terminated cable harnesses, they only fit together one way...
    So 15 or 16 microinverters? How do they sync with each other and the ESB supply?

The first stage will be 16 microinverters, when I get to 12.6kWp there will be 48-50. There's a central controller that talks to the micro-inverters over bluetooth low energy. It's physically connected to the end of run block to sync to the supply. This controller also talks to the clamp meter over the network (I'm also bringing a 48V supply over CAT6 out to the array to provide network and power to the controller). The micro-inverters power up (for comms purposes) when power is present on either the AC or DC side.
    Out of interest, why disconnect when AC is not present? Is this output AC from the inverter?

Yes output AC from the inverter. So if grid power is not present the inverter isn't pumping out power (it's also has no grid frequency to sync to). The two layers of disconnects is an EN50438 requirement.
    Not sure what you mean here. Are you modulating the load according to the power available from the solar array?

I'm load following. Consistently allowing import of a small amount of power and modulating the output of the microinverters in response to load. So I'm not exporting at any time.

Load sharing between the car chargepoints. Seperate supply from the subpanel to each chargepoint, but an RS485 comms cable between the two chargepoints. They coordinate, so for example as car A's battery gets close to full and the on-board charger dials back from drawing say 230V/30A to 230V/6A, chargepoint B tells car B's on-board charger it can draw more power.
    What is the max input voltage to the inverter units? (I assume the output is 230V, 50Hz 1 phase).

On the DC side on the microinverter it's up to 45V/9A, the panels I'm using top out at 38V. It's one of the advantages of the microinverter setup that you can keep the DC side low voltage.
    With a 400V line voltage 25A per phase is 17.32 kVA. Above you state that this is 11 kW. Is the power factor that bad ??

No, It's a combination of not having settled on the exact layout/mounting solution yet and wanting some additional headroom. Also the possibility a small wind turbine might be added later.

I'm just looking at putting in the 5-core SWA for future flexibility. I specced out 16sqmm so that I could feasibly do the single phase install up to ~50A using just one of the conductors for live and neutral respectively. But paying €550 for 45 meters of cable is a big chunk out of the budget, paralleling conductors on 10sqmm cable would save a few shekels for other parts of the project. The shed subpanel is also connected to the main panel through a 5-core 16sqmm...

• Advertisement

On the issue of dual supplies etc... you more need to provide a G59 relay to disconnect the PV if there is no mains from ESB Networks.
    See description here: http://www.connectingindustry.com/ElectricalEngineering/what-is-g59.aspx
    I would guess your inverter panels have this circuitry already? You mention this:

I would be a little concerned that if there are multiple automatic disconnections ongoing, one PV could indicate to others that there is mains, so there may in fact not be any mains disconnection... There is only a single "end of run terminal"?

There is an end of run terminal for each string of up to 16 panels. This terminal is not just a dumb terminal block, it also contains a G59 relay, so in the event on of the inverters malfunctions and does not stop outputting AC there is a fallback. So it's two layers of G59 relay (or functional equivalent), one at each inverter, and one at each end of run terminal.

He terminates cables (including grounding my mounting frames etc.) and connects it all up.

I see.
    What size area do the panels cover and how far are they from the sub-board?
    (I'm also bringing a 48V supply over CAT6 out to the array to provide network and power to the controller).

I have not seen this at such a high voltage before over CAT6 before.
    We generally use 24VDC for control / comms.
    Yes output AC from the inverter. So if grid power is not present the inverter isn't pumping out power (it's also has no grid frequency to sync to). The two layers of disconnects is an EN50438 requirement.

Yes, makes sense.
    I'm load following. Consistently allowing import of a small amount of power and modulating the output of the microinverters in response to load. So I'm not exporting at any time.

OK, stupid question: If you never plan to export why bother syncing at all?
    Load sharing between the car chargepoints. Seperate supply from the subpanel to each chargepoint, but an RS485 comms cable between the two chargepoints. They coordinate, so for example as car A's battery gets close to full and the on-board charger dials back from drawing say 230V/30A to 230V/6A, chargepoint B tells car B's on-board charger it can draw more power.

Interesting.
    On the DC side on the microinverter it's up to 45V/9A, the panels I'm using top out at 38V. It's one of the advantages of the microinverter setup that you can keep the DC side low voltage.

So on the output side of the inverter it is around 1.7A
    My earlier point was that if the cabling on the DC side was the same size as the AC side the DC losses would be much higher (per m) as the current is far larger.
    No, It's a combination of not having settled on the exact layout/mounting solution yet and wanting some additional headroom. Also the possibility a small wind turbine might be added later.

So possibly >11kW 3 phase inverter? Not really a domestic installation anymore!
    I'm just looking at putting in the 5-core SWA for future flexibility. I specced out 16sqmm so that I could feasibly do the single phase install up to ~50A using just one of the conductors for live and neutral respectively.

If I installed this cable I would have 2 cores connected in parallel for the phase, 2 connected in parallel for the neutral and the 5th core would be the earth. In the event of going 3 phase I would have a conductor per phase. I assume that is what you are proposing for the 5 x 10 sq. SWA ??
    But paying €550 for 45 meters of cable is a big chunk out of the budget, paralleling conductors on 10sqmm cable would save a few shekels for other parts of the project. The shed subpanel is also connected to the main panel through a 5-core 16sqmm...

I doubt that there is a large price differential between 5 x 10 sq. SWA and 5 x 16 sq. SWA. I would always go for the larger cable, projects have a habit of growing legs!

I see.
    What size area do the panels cover and how far are they from the sub-board?

It's about 60-80sqm of panels spread over 160sqm, they will be ~27 meters from the sub-board. 35 meters through the duct. They are actually located closer to the CU, but I'm avoiding cutting into tarmac and mass concrete.
    I have not seen this at such a high voltage before over CAT6 before.
    We generally use 24VDC for control / comms.

It's standard IEEE802.3at PoE+. Provides up to ~30W which I can split out with a PoE-powered switch and power multiple downstream devices. Unlike 24V passive PoE on the off-pairs of 100BaseT CAT5 this involves active negotiation by the powered device with the PSE on the far end.
    OK, stupid question: If you never plan to export why bother syncing at all?

It's not that there's a plan to never export, it's just there's currently a financial disincentive to do so with no export tariffs available and a low usage surcharge. In this setup I can login to the cloud management for the controller remotely the day net metering is announced and allow export.
    So on the output side of the inverter it is around 1.7A
    My earlier point was that if the cabling on the DC side was the same size as the AC side the DC losses would be much higher (per m) as the current is far larger.

In my particular install each inverter won't exceed 1.05A peak even in theory at midday in July.
    So possibly >11kW 3 phase inverter? Not really a domestic installation anymore!

I think with the advent of multiple EV households, what's considered typical domestic loads may need some reconsideration. It's reasonable to have two or three cars drawing 230V/32A each for up to 8 hours. In australia, they allow domestic single phase to export up to 50kW. Part of the solution is going to be home batteries, and a 13.2kWh/7.0kW output battery is something I'm considering for phase 2 of this particular install.
    If I installed this cable I would have 2 cores connected in parallel for the phase, 2 connected in parallel for the neutral and the 5th core would be the earth. In the event of going 3 phase I would have a conductor per phase. I assume that is what you are proposing for the 5 x 10 sq. SWA ??

exactly.
    I doubt that there is a large price differential between 5 x 10 sq. SWA and 5 x 16 sq. SWA. I would always go for the larger cable, projects have a habit of growing legs!

Yeah, it's not a whole lot, maybe €150... and partially it's naval gazing on my part, I tend to over-engineer things (in case you haven't noticed).

It's about 60-80sqm of panels spread over 160sqm, they will be ~27 meters from the sub-board.

In that case are you considering both equipotential bonding and local earth rods?
    It's standard IEEE802.3at PoE+. Provides up to ~30W which I can split out with a PoE-powered switch and power multiple downstream devices. Unlike 24V passive PoE on the off-pairs of 100BaseT CAT5 this involves active negotiation by the powered device with the PSE on the far end.

Not something I have been involved with before.
    It's not that there's a plan to never export, it's just there's currently a financial disincentive to do so with no export tariffs available and a low usage surcharge. In this setup I can login to the cloud management for the controller remotely the day net metering is announced and allow export.

Fair enough, but until that day arrives why bother syncing? Life becomes simpler when you don't have to sync. You can design it so that it can be synced at a future date. You won't need it certified until it is synced.

In my particular install each inverter won't exceed 1.05A peak even in theory at midday in July.

How is that? You said that "on the DC side on the microinverter it's up to 45V/9A"? I would expect the inverter to be > 95% efficient.
    I think with the advent of multiple EV households, what's considered typical domestic loads may need some reconsideration. It's reasonable to have two or three cars drawing 230V/32A each for up to 8 hours. In australia, they allow domestic single phase to export up to 50kW.

My point is that if you have a system that can export 50 kW I would expect that ESB will not consider your installation to be a domestic installation.
    Part of the solution is going to be home batteries, and a 13.2kWh/7.0kW output battery is something I'm considering for phase 2 of this particular install.

I think the future is ultracapacitors. They are too pricey at the moment, but hopefully this will change in time. I have used small supercaps for small UPS (in place of batteries) in the past and it worked very well. However there are ultracapacitors available that bring capacitors to another level. They can store quite a few MJ for energy in a relatively small space. Compared to batteries, vastly superior power density, performance does not drop off like it does with batteries, ambient temperature does not impact them as much either. Not cheap though....
    Yeah, it's not a whole lot, maybe €150

Spend it! Nothing else makes sense.

... and partially it's naval gazing on my part, I tend to over-engineer things (in case you haven't noticed).

:D

In that case are you considering both equipotential bonding and local earth rods?

Yeah, I'm hammering in a 2.5 meter grounding rod at each physical array, with both the metalwork and the SWA armor grounded there, shed side has a good ground. Still deciding between a commercial 16 panel mounting solution (8x2) and a DIY design (multiple 5x1s). So in the case of going the DIY route the final install could be ten 5x1 arrays with ten grounding rods!
    Fair enough, but until that day arrives why bother syncing? Life becomes simpler when you don't have to sync. You can design it so that it can be synced at a future date. You won't need it certified until it is synced.

Controller, microinverter etc. were designed with the assumption that you would be exporting.... so the standard install syncs to grid frequency.
    How is that? You said that "on the DC side on the microinverter it's up to 45V/9A"? I would expect the inverter to be > 95% efficient.

My panels will be 20-38V at a lower amperage. Those are the micro-inverters limits.
    My point is that if you have a system that can export 50 kW I would expect that ESB will not consider your installation to be a domestic installation.

Sure.
    I think the future is ultracapacitors. They are too pricey at the moment, but hopefully this will change in time. I have used small supercaps for small UPS (in place of batteries) in the past and it worked very well. However there are ultracapacitors available that bring capacitors to another level. They can store quite a few MJ for energy in a relatively small space. Compared to batteries, vastly superior power density, performance does not drop off like it does with batteries, ambient temperature does not impact them as much either. Not cheap though....

Maybe... a lot of work to be done to get to that point. Lithium-Ion is already at the point where I can pick up an off the shelf 13.2kWh AC battery solution from Tesla with built-in inverters for ~€6k incl. VAT. I'd say the next step is DC charging the cars from the batteries (both are ~400V DC these days) with DC expanding out into the home from there. Why are we running LEDs, phone chargers and LCD TVs off AC?

• Advertisement

Is this using the type 3 EV charger load shedding comms? If so, very cool.

There is an end of run terminal for each string of up to 16 panels. This terminal is not just a dumb terminal block, it also contains a G59 relay, so in the event on of the inverters malfunctions and does not stop outputting AC there is a fallback. So it's two layers of G59 relay (or functional equivalent), one at each inverter, and one at each end of run terminal.
    How does each end of run terminal's G59 coordinate, such that one G59 doesn't convince the others that it is the mains?

Type 2 Mode 3. I've been looking at a DIY solution but the cheapest way is to just use Tesla Wall Connectors in slave mode.
    How does each end of run terminal's G59 coordinate, such that one G59 doesn't convince the others that it is the mains?

Haven't investigated that yet. TBH for phase 1, it's not important as there will only be a single string with a single end-run terminal.

Type 2 Mode 3. I've been looking at a DIY solution but the cheapest way is to just use Tesla Wall Connectors in slave mode.

Haven't investigated that yet. TBH for phase 1, it's not important as there will only be a single string with a single end-run terminal.
    Have a look at this thread: https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057711250?fuid=102757964 with this unit - seems interesting?:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zappi-charge-your-ev-with-your-pv-solar/x/16155030#/
    might work out a bit cheaper?

and with the G59 - singular you're fine I'd say, but with three...maybe there's a way to trip the breaker if any one of the three G59s sense a loss of mains on the utility side? And they can somehow filter the other 2 out in future....

Also, forgot to mention - a problem I only read about in the last few years with UPS' (possibly even here on boards?): sometimes it can be difficult with local power generators to get enough short circuit current to trip a breaker in the event of a short. just to bear in mind if you ever want to use the PV in a mains outage situation

Just to illustrate matters... I had a few bits and pieces in the back of the car, and I was sitting here at junction 14 charging, so I thought I'd take some photos.

click for full size.

Site overview:
    Screen_Shot_2017_02_27_at_17_24_59.png

Path of the duct:
    Trench.png

The Micro-inverter, cable harness, end-run terminal and controller:

20170227_174823_annotate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

If the only advantage of using Micro Inverters is future expansion then I cannot see the benefit as running DC from the Arrays back to a standard cheaper and more reliable GT inverter will avoid cable losses and the problem of individual inverter failures/replacement cost. There will be a lot of connections with Micro inverters. You can run 4mm over a considerable distance within inverter spec or just up it to 6mm if you want to. Your 35metres is not a problem with 4mm runs in dedicated conduit.
    Do you have lightning protection?
    Are the Micro Inverters certified under EN50438 with specific Irish settings?
    I am not an EV expert but as I understand it you need DC charging supply so is there no way to have DC - DC system within regs? Converting DC to AC and then back to DC is introducing losses and complication. Run DC supply into DC board and then convert what you need into AC for load supply while EV charging off the DC supply?

I'm not a fan of micro inverters either. Too much to go wrong in hard to get to places (for roof mounts). I think the place for an inverter is conversion on demand not at source. Less losses and more versatile just string DC to where it needs to be.
    freddyuk wrote: »
    ..as I understand it you need DC charging supply ... Run DC supply into DC board and then convert what you need into AC for load supply while EV charging off the DC supply?

Couldn't agree more.

If the only advantage of using Micro Inverters is future expansion then I cannot see the benefit as running DC from the Arrays back to a standard cheaper and more reliable GT inverter will avoid cable losses and the problem of individual inverter failures/replacement cost.

There are other advantages to using the microinverters:
    MPPT tracking per panel reduces the impact of shading or panel mismatch.
    No high voltage DC, which particularly in a ground mount system means less safety hardware needed

The main thing for me was gaining a bit of design flexibility. I could literally set up a single inverter and panel in the workshop to be able to work out the load/supply management side of things.

My previous installs have used DC optimisers and string inverters. With the additional cost of DC optimisers the cost was almost identical to microinverters.
    There will be a lot of connections with Micro inverters.

There's one T cable with a 4 core 6sqmm trunk and the microinverters wired in parallel. I can do a 16 panel install including mounting the panels in under an hour.
    You can run 4mm over a considerable distance within inverter spec or just up it to 6mm if you want to. Your 35metres is not a problem with 4mm runs in dedicated conduit.
    Do you have lightning protection?

It's going to be very extensively grounded.
    I am not an EV expert but as I understand it you need DC charging supply so is there no way to have DC - DC system within regs? Converting DC to AC and then back to DC is introducing losses and complication. Run DC supply into DC board and then convert what you need into AC for load supply while EV charging off the DC supply?

No, at home the cars charge from AC 3.3 - 22kW depending on the supply and onboard charger (that's in the car, the chargepoint is just a a local RCBO and a fancy socket that signals available amperage using a control pilot wire).

I can charge the cars via DC but that involves building comms hardware to talk to the cars charging computer (LIM) and BMS (and that's different for each car, one uses the japanese CHAdemo system which extends the CAN bus out of the vehicle, the other uses the european CCS which uses IPv6 over GreenPHY PLC). That's a lot of work and complexity to avoid a little efficiency loss at the inverter and onboard charger. It makes sense for pulling 50-350kW DC 400V/800V/1200V at up to 400A but not for home charging. There are rumors Tesla will launch a home DC charging solution which will allow you to pull power from the 400V powerwall home batteries, but they use yet another incompatible PLC system (although I suspect they will support CCS from the Model 3 forward).

At the moment I'm not looking at the car's consumption. The cars mainly charge overnight, use up to 50kWh per night and on nightsaver buy power for ~6c/kWh.
    The main advantage of the PV system is it offsets load during the day when the rate is ~15c/kWh. I have per-minute consumption data for the premises for the past three years and I used PVWatts & weather data for the past 30 years from Birr (closest weather station) to calculate average hourly production for each of the 8760 hours in the year.

Overlaying one on to the other I estimated that:
    Phase 1 (4.18kW PV) will offset 33% of the consumption cost (not overall consumption)
    Phase 2 (13.2kWh AC battery) will offset 42% of the consumption cost
    Phase 3 (+4.18kW PV) will offset 54% of consumption cost
    Phase 4 (+4.18kW PV) will offset 78% of consumption cost

With the addition of the battery in Phase 2 I can start to cover evening consumption up to the off-peak hours.

There are other advantages to using the microinverters:
    MPPT tracking per panel reduces the impact of shading or panel mismatch.

It's usually only a very expensive 10% output gain compared to "direct drive".
    It also increases the low load consumption / panel inefficiency. Same for DC optimisers.
    Personally I'd string the panels at load voltage + expected system losses. Not put them where they are going to be shaded and make sure they are matched.

Alternating current is certainly convenient, and definitely there is a sensible point where it's much cheaper add panels to offset the losses in the system. It just wears on me to see embedded losses in generation systems.

Why are we running LEDs, phone chargers and LCD TVs off AC?

Cable cost and switchgear issues.
    I use half and half.

No high voltage DC, which particularly in a ground mount system means less safety hardware needed

What do you mean by "high voltage"? We normally describe < 50V as ELV and >50V and <1kV as low voltage. The threshold for HV varies depending on what country you are in and who you talk to. I assume that what you are describing is LV, as such the protection required is limited to reasonable mechanical protection and fuses or MCB.

Out of interest has the D.C. Output from the solar panels any reference to earth? If so where does it get it from, the inverter or is the negitive grounded ?

• Advertisement

Alternating current is certainly convenient, and definitely there is a sensible point where it's much cheaper add panels to offset the losses in the system. It just wears on me to see embedded losses in generation systems.

Sure, and simple string inverters and poly panels would be the cheapest price/watthour option. Limited shading is sometimes unavoidable, particularly with the sun low in the sky during winter, which when a battery system is introduced can have an outsized impact on both the perceived and actual self-consumption. At one point I was looking at splitting this array south-west to the and south-east, which would have hurt the overall production numbers but evened out production a bit through the day. Anyways... moot point in this case especially considering I've already bought the microinverters.
    Cable cost and switchgear issues.
    I use half and half.

Sure but in the future we could have much more standardised 12/24V DC power in homes with a lot more limited penetration of AC on the customer side. So more of a mainstreaming of household DC power from the socket on the wall and in lighting.
    What do you mean by "high voltage"? We normally describe < 50V as ELV and >50V and <1kV as low voltage. The threshold for HV varies depending on what country you are in and who you talk to. I assume that what you are describing is LV, as such the protection required is limited to reasonable mechanical protection and fuses or MCB.

350V to as much as 600V per string. Enough that in a ground mount situation I'd have to maybe put up some wire mesh to block access by children or pets. in the microinverter scenario cabling is tied up at the top of the panel and all connectors are tamperproof.
    Out of interest has the D.C. Output from the solar panels any reference to earth? If so where does it get it from, the inverter or is the negitive grounded ?

The frame of every panel gets grounded with 2.5sqmm copper and the inverter casing does too. In the event I do DIY mounts it will be not far off this:
    ironridgegroundinglug.JPG

350V to as much as 600V per string. Enough that in a ground mount situation I'd have to maybe put up some wire mesh to block access by children or pets. in the microinverter scenario cabling is tied up at the top of the panel and all connectors are tamperproof.

Ok, that's low voltage.
    No reason to have anymore protection than any other LV cables used in that type situation.
    Armored cables and / or suitable cable containment, fuses etc...

So in this scinerio you would connect all of the panels in series?
    The frame of every panel gets grounded with 2.5sqmm copper and the inverter casing does too. In the event I do DIY mounts it will be not far off this:

That tells me that the frames are connected to each other and then connected to earth electrodes. My question is does the DC output from the solar panels have a reference to earth?
    When you say that the voltage output from a string is up to 600V is that with reference to earth?
    Is the input side of the inverter module galvanically isolated from the output?

If you ignore the americanness of this diagram you get a pretty good idea of how I see this working, the difference in my case is a grounding bus in a panel at each array, ground in the SWA back to the shed connecting those busses to the existing grounding bus in the shed (though that's up to the RECI). Within the microinverter is ground fault detection and isolation:

AtEDeJong.jpg

okay so it's quite a bit different 'cause of the local busses et al.... I really need to do some actual diagrams myself, I'm finding it difficult to explain how I see this stuff in my head... my vocabulary is failing me... as is google image search for representative diagrams

Don't get hung up on the up to 600V DC string inverter stuff... that's a different type of install to what i'm doing with the microinverters. The DC portion here is 0-38V preterminated positive and negative from the panel directly connected to the microinverter (also on the back of the panel mounted to the frame). The microinverter uses MPPT (maximum power point tracking) so Vref for that purpose is variable. Internally inside the panel I'm......trusting the frame is isolated properly from the cells? :p

Solar_Cell_MPP.png

What do you mean by "high voltage"? We normally describe < 50V as ELV

< 120V for DC. biggrin.png

Stoopid question...are ground arrays not inherently easy to earth without electrodes.
    which when a battery system is introduced can have an outsized impact on both the perceived and actual self-consumption.

Please elaborate, I don't understand.
    Sure but in the future we could have much more standardised 12/24V DC power in homes with a lot more limited penetration of AC on the customer side. So more of a mainstreaming of household DC power from the socket on the wall and in lighting.

I've looked at this a few times already having 12VDC & 48VDC at my disposal and it's never been worth my while running separate radials to glean a few % efficiency from already minuscule loads. Instead it's better cascade inverters so that the large ones aren't running idle at minimum efficiency.
    It's very expensive in cable to run ELV around a house, for little gain and the cost of all the high current DC switchgear will make your eyes water.
    Sheds, boats, campervans, cabins are another matter though...for those I'd argue you don't need 230VAC it comes down to scale and if induction or frequency are necessities of the installation.

I use native DC in my power plant room and 230VAC everywhere else. Easier plug my phone in in a room with a battery than chasing walls for a 150W ELV supply.

Plus standardising appliance voltage will be a long time coming.

...so that in the event the government introduces a feed-in tariff ...

Don't hold your breath, I believe our government are in negotiations to sell the sub-station capacity to private enterprise. Power companies are becoming very defensive about who can use the sun.

I would expect the inverter to be > 95% efficient.

It's nearly always a massaged figure under ideal conditions.
    If an inverter listed having a 30W quiescent has a 30Wp panel attached to it how efficient is it on a cloudy day?

There's good reason they only publish the top 20% of the load graphs, and for all the praise of MPPT you'll find inverters are most efficient when gen. voltage = load voltage.

Limited shading is sometimes unavoidable, particularly with the sun low in the sky during winter, which when a battery system is introduced can have an outsized impact on both the perceived and actual self-consumption.
    Please elaborate, I don't understand.

I've got four really lean months in terms of production from November to February where every available watt gets either stored or consumed. If say the grass is too long or the hedge at the far end of the field is a bit too high it can have a drastic effect on production at the end and start of the day.

During the summer I'm also kind of relying on some of the long tailing of production at the end of the day because daily production will exceed the battery capacity and instantaneous self-consumption... so the avg. ~259W AC (from ~337W DC) produced during the last hour of the 28th of July is more valuable for delaying / offsetting power from the battery.

Ah gotcha, power on demand I call it. :)

Stoopid question...are ground arrays not inherently easy to earth without electrodes.

They need a local earth as they are large, conductive and quite some distance away from the earth electrode of the existing installation.
    The MET could be at a different potential.

If you ignore the americanness of this diagram you get a pretty good idea of how I see this working
    Yes, it shows that the DC negative output from the solar panel is grounded.
    Therefore the DC bus has a reference to earth.
    the difference in my case is a grounding bus in a panel at each array, ground in the SWA back to the shed connecting those busses to the existing grounding bus in the shed (though that's up to the RECI).

The REC should be directed by the designer unless the REC is the designated designer (needless to say regulations must be complied with).
    How is the cable between the solar panel and the inverter protected??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

1. If we are talking grass and hedge shading then arrange the Array in landscape rows thus the top row will be full chat until dark while the bottom row will be maximised by the inverters as far as they can. Shading the bottom of a module in portrait will kill 100% of the output.

2. My point about lightning is that a direct hit will wipe out the installation whether grounded or not? Having a nearby strike can put transient spikes into the system which can blow sensitive electronics so how does the system handle this? In a string inverter the inverter can be "isolated" between the DC incomers and the inverters to help prevent damage but this would not happen with micro inverters? Enphase seem to recognise the problem and recommend suppression in addition to the inbuilt protection which suggests the inbuilt protection is not really going to help being attached to the module.
    As you have already committed to micro inverters you may need to invest in better protection as they are fragile compared to string inverters with robust protections inbuilt. Having a spare string inverter which can be replaced in a few minutes is a good plan. Changing all the micro inverters and attached comms would be a headache.
    3. It would indeed be wise to protect a ground mount from public/innocent access by at least a fence and warning signs.

• Advertisement

A direct hit by lighting can fry electronics no matter what you do. Don't think that lighting protection systems can provide any guarantees. All you can hope to do is minimize the damage.

Advertisement