Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry University Hospital or Cork University Maternity Hospital

Options
  • 27-02-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi all

I have put CUMH down as my hospital I am going public, I livejust outside Killarney on the Tralee side. All my friends and colleagues went to Cork but my partner wants me to change to Tralee, Tralee is only 15 minutes away from us, Cork possibly 1 hr 20 mins. He says CUMH is overcrowded and I would be better off in Tralee.
    I suppose I picked Cork as just if anything went wrong they would have the best equipment there.

I would appreciate any comments on both hospitals.
    Happy Monday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

dove2011 wrote: »
    Hi all

I have put CUMH down as my hospital I am going public, I livejust outside Killarney on the Tralee side. All my friends and colleagues went to Cork but my partner wants me to change to Tralee, Tralee is only 15 minutes away from us, Cork possibly 1 hr 20 mins. He says CUMH is overcrowded and I would be better off in Tralee.
    I suppose I picked Cork as just if anything went wrong they would have the best equipment there.

I would appreciate any comments on both hospitals.
    Happy Monday!

I read recently that CUMH doesn't offer anomoly scan as standard to public patients, only to those considered high risk. This would be a huge factor for me.

Best of luck with your decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 auntieo

Had my first baby in Tralee in 2015 and overall had a good experience. But saying that, I guess I have nothing to compare it with. The care I received pre natal was excellent and I had a lovely midwife through my labour. It did end up in a section though but my baby was 2 weeks overdue so had to come out! Apparently the hospital has one of the highest rates for sections in the country.
    What left the whole experience down slightly was the post natal care. The nurses on the ward are seriously understaffed and can't really offer one to one care. A few of the ladies in my room were really struggling with breastfeeding and I feel like they weren't given enough guidance and support. You really are just left to your own devices.
    Also they don't offer the 20 week anomaly scan routinely. But there is a new consultant Dr. Horgan who does them for €250 as far as I know.
    I'm due my 2nd baby in October so will be back there shortly!

Advertisement