Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just how reliable is Fenix 2 VOX Max?

Options
  • 27-02-2017 12:05pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So using my Fenix 2 more and more and noticed my VO2 max has improved a good bit and I'm just curious how reliable is this data or is it just a waste of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnoregan777

It would be close but not as accurate as a lab based test when fully rested. Having said that, a lab based test will also be dependent on how rested and ready you are so chances are the watch because you use it for all sessions could be the most accurate.

Use the result as a baseline to monitor your training and you will notice it change with different sessions so it's a good way to work out what sessions are most productive for 'You'.

The VO2 reading on the watch should go up and down depending on what you do and if it remains constant then you need to mix things up a bit. To make it go up you need to do sessions that also make it go down. That means a session that stresses the body and then its rest and recovery that will help on your way to the next level.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thanks for the info John, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Have to admit I'm dubious after the Mallow 10 today my 620 has some race predictions for me that are beyond even my most delusional dreams!

For what it's worth, I'm getting things back on track after a bout of illness so probably ran a tiny bit slower that I was capable of as wasn't too confident after blowing up in the Tralee marathon last weekend :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnoregan777

Opus, the race predictor is telling you what you can potentially achieve if you can put in the training. It's similar to the McMillan type calculator as it's telling you what you can achieve or should I say 'train for' based on your current fitness.

Advertisement