Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-activating an old number

Options
  • 27-02-2017 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Is it possible to re-activate a number that was originally O2 but was "de-activated" about 5 years ago?

I was bill-pay customer with O2 but cancelled my account and if I remember correctly, asked them to de-activate the number in case I wanted to re-activate it later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can contact Three with your old O2 account number and ask, but they may have recycled and reissued the number to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Try call the number and see if its active then contact 3 if its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Pretty sure it's not active or re-issued. I got the "number not in use" tone

finally found a number that you can call without having to input a mobile number. Said the number's been cancelled so it's game over.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Morf3h wrote: »
    finally found a number that you can call without having to input a mobile number. Said the number's been cancelled so it's game over.

:(

Is that a general service that anyone can use? Will you give us the details please.

• Advertisement

Had to ask on the web-chat interface. Told them it was ridiculous they didn't post the number online. Anything you call like the 1913 numbers force you to put in a mobile number... which I don't have..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Morf3h wrote: »
    Said the number's been cancelled so it's game over.

That doesn't make sense, O2 can give out any unused 086 number and sooner or later they will have to churn numbers because of people closing billpay accounts, losing PAYG phones in taxis and bars etc.

I don't believe a number is ever totally dead. It makes sense to park old numbers for as long as possible but eventually that number will be reissued.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

o2 no longer exist.

Three are far from consuming all ~8 million combinations they could use (a bit less when you take out 112/999 etc). They dont issue 086 prefix numbers any more and will never need to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cancelled number just means it's available. You no longer have rights to that number because you've left it too long.

If you have a contract with then you could try to get your number changed to it.

Other wise you'd have to get a contract, and either request the number or get it changed later

Not sure if you request a specific number if you get a pay as you go sim only 30 day plan.

Advertisement