Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroin problem in Drogheda????

Options
  • 27-02-2017 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I've recently moved to Drogheda and noticed alot of dodgy characters dealing in what I think is heroin,anyone shed any light on this??

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

mrdeicher wrote: »
    I've recently moved to Drogheda and noticed alot of dodgy characters dealing in what I think is heroin,anyone shed any light on this??

Newsflash. Rural Irish towns are overcome with drugs.

it's everywhere. If you think Drogheda is bad, go to Athy for a day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I was witness to a serious heroin related crime(kidnap, car hijack) about 12 years ago in Drogheda so it's nothing new. A detective at the time told me there was around 16-20 heroin junkies in Drogheda.

I've no idea what that figure would be today but isn't there a methadone clinic in Drogheda, or was it moved to Duleek?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mrdeicher

I am not that naive to think there's no drugs here because after all they are everywhere but from what I witness this is like crazy,this morning I counted 22 people meeting this same man(foreign)from 6am till about 10 and thats only because where I study looks directly on to the street god knows what you would see if u really looked and u just know they are not buying weed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its happening all over the country OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I am not that naive to think there's no drugs here because after all they are everywhere but from what I witness this is like crazy,this morning I counted 22 people meeting this same man(foreign)from 6am till about 10 and thats only because where I study looks directly on to the street god knows what you would see if u really looked and u just know they are not buying weed.
    I hope you've passed this information on to the Gardai?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I would be in the town 2 or 3 times a week walking loops whilst my daughter is attending various activities. I have seen the odd few regular locals/characters/alcoholics etc., but never seen anything drug related. Not to say it doesn't go on, it does everywhere, but certainly nothing done out in the open. The town is covered by CCTV linked back to the Garda station, so would like to think it would be a good deterrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

As other posters said, unfortunately there is are drugs problems in every large town in Ireland, and in most small ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

Looks like education is already showing you ways to make a living. :D

I agree with Scotty, I hope you have reported this to Gardai already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

delly wrote: »
    The town is covered by CCTV linked back to the Garda station, so would like to think it would be a good deterrent.

Do you think there are Gardai watching the camera feed? More than likely is just being recorded and ignored unless it's needed at some point in the future, the manpower is just not there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

SteM wrote: »
    Do you think there are Gardai watching the camera feed? More than likely is just being recorded and ignored unless it's needed at some point in the future, the manpower is just not there.

I've seen the control room in the station and it's an impressive setup. You could be right regarding manpower, but I would like to hope it is actively monitored.

I reported it to Gardai but unfortunately they didnt send anyone up,they said they would look into it and they don't have the manpower at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I reported it to Gardai but unfortunately they didnt send anyone up,they said they would look into it and they don't have the manpower at the moment

If the addicts don't get it from that guy they'll get it from someone else, and maybe the someone else is a more problematic character for the Gardai then the foreign guy your looking at.
    Look, if people want heroin they're going to get it one way or the other. Whats a bigger problem is how the addicts get the money they need to feed their habits before they eventually die. Stealing in all its forms and prostitution and low level dealing to children means that their addiction seeps out into decent society.
    That poor old man in Waterford was almost certainly murdered in the name of getting money to complete a drug deal, for example.
    I personally don't really care if heroin addicts live or die (I don't think they care themselves) but the focus should be on preventing their addictions from negatively impacting the lives of the innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

Which street are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

They'll look into it, they havent the manpower - what an awe inspiring response! what is there - 100+ cops stationed in Drogheda?
    This is their response to rock solid information on heroin dealing. I know that the genie is out of the bottle with heroin in Drogheda but they could at least try.

I spoke with the community guard and apparently the flat which is being used to sell the dope is constantly being rented out to different people and a lot of times these people are drug takers/ dealers,the guards have being to it numerous times and made several arrests. Anyway we will just get on with life and keep to ourselves,don't fancy getting on the wrong side of these people

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Penguin231

Can tou please tell us the street or at least see a if Drogheda we are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Penguin231

*area of Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

The last time I was in the lovely town a couple of weeks ago, before lunchtime, there was a woman roaring and puking in west st. like a demon possesed. There's usually a few "heads" down meat market lane. The town is gone to feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I think there are only a couple of things the average verson can do is report it and not give money to those who are begging (of course securing property too). Reporting what is seen (should) be recorded and even with a lack of resources the Gardaí and other services at minimum can get an indicator of what and where issues are. Giving to those begging while may seem the good thing to do only helps to feed an addiction. The argument is of course that without getting from begging addicts will resort to theft but begging also makes it easier to avoid support services.

People shouldn't be surprised, ashamed, or indeed defensive when drugs and addictions issues are highlighted in a town or area. There is an almost epidemic issue nationwide from the cities to the smaller and rural areas. It is a sad and often tragic situation for this country to have to deal with. The issue is widespread enough that it has been proposed that Naloxone or an 'antidote' to opiates in case of overdose be available almost as much as defibrillators, carried in Garda cars or wherever.

It should also be highlighted that this issue is not some subculture or confined to specific groups, you might even know somone and not know that they are a heroin addict albeit a functioning one. It is not an issue that people should dismiss as not relevant to themselves as as is often said anyone can fall in to circumstances unforeseen or unexpected, and with much crime driven by drug addiction we are all effected really. Tackling this beyond superficial policing is a different discussion but one that should be had more often. Apologies for the bit of soapboxing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

The last time I was in the lovely town a couple of weeks ago, before lunchtime, there was a woman roaring and puking in west st. like a demon possesed. There's usually a few "heads" down meat market lane. The town is gone to feck.

Have to disagree with the second part based on my experience. I live on Dyer street and while there are occasionally small groups congregated on meat market lane, it might be only 5-10% of the time I walk through there. Wouldn't walk up it otherwise, especially at night.

I suppose anyone who lived on the lane could say for sure though.

Advertisement