Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seems like a good deal on coffins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

EDIT: You know what, I made a joke, and then I felt bad. This could actually help someone. Good find OP, and anyone who is looking for this product I wish you well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Would much prefer my family to purchase one of these coffins for me than to waste thousands on a wooden one.
    I hope they or something similar are available in Ireland to those that would prefer them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Good find OP, better buy direct with these things. The undertaker will only let you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Weyhey wrote: »
    Would much prefer my family to purchase one of these coffins for me than to waste thousands on a wooden one.
    I hope they or something similar are available in Ireland to those that would prefer them.

Delivered by Parcel Motel? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I wooden be caught dead in this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Just bought 5, thanks OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Going to put one of these under my bed just incase. Thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We've been burying people in teak and oak for far too long, use of slow grown hardwoods should be banned for coffins.
    White deal, wicker or cardboard are sufficient and speed up the decomposition process so plots can be reused sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Does it come with it's own corpse?
    £100 for an empty cardboard box seems quite expensive to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

The cheapest option after you die is to have your body donated to science, a few of the universities have applications you need to fill out well in advance

https://www.tcd.ie/medicine/anatomy/donations/

Bargain hunters even in death ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭pummice

The Irish undertaking industry may not accept cardboard coffins in order to protect their current suppliers and profits.

If only IKEA would start selling them flatpack for home assembly, I would keep a couple in the shed. My parents are quite frail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

_Brian wrote: »
    so plots can be reused sooner.

I don't even know what to say, is this a big annoyance to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

If only IKEA would start selling them flatpack for home assembly, I would keep a couple in the shed. My parents are quite frail.

Jaysus brings a whole new meaning to here's your hat what's your hurry......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Flat rate shipping (£95) costs nearly as much as the coffin cardboard box

Much like the wedding industry, funerals are a money grab, how expensive should it be to throw a dead body down a hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

I dug around and this seems like a good deal. Wooden put it past undertakers to try and bury this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

handy for the poor vampires out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Celtic Tiger is certainly back.

100 quid for a cardboard box.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Is that price for real? I've always thought we should move towards sustainable coffins and stop wasting good hardwood on them but £99 for a cardboard box is taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

pummice wrote: »
    The Irish undertaking industry may not accept cardboard coffins in order to protect their current suppliers and profits.

Mount Jerome will accept them for cremation for sure. We were looking into it last year but went with a wicker coffin instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

irish_goat wrote: »
    Is that price for real? I've always thought we should move towards sustainable coffins and stop wasting good hardwood on them but £99 for a cardboard box is taking the piss.

£234 for the premium version :)

http://coffincompany.co.uk/bespoke-coffins/cardboard-premium-coffin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Senna wrote: »

Many urban cemeteries are full, full of teak and oak caskets sitting there preserving remains that really should be long gone to dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is being mummified an option these days .?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

It rains a lot in Ireland, would the cardboard absorb water and expand/get heavier or, even worse, start disintegrating if there was a downpour while the pallbearers were heading for the graveside?!

I have to say, I like the idea - coffins are a scandalous waste of money.......but, jesus these things look terrible. You couldn't send poor aul granny off in one of those.
    They should at least try make it look half decent, or have a fancy rental box you can put it in or something. And the price is outrageous, £250 for the delux model.

£250 for an empty cardboard box???

Only hippies & green party TD's would go for this crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I have to say, I like the idea - coffins are a scandalous waste of money.......but, jesus these things look terrible. You couldn't send poor aul granny off in one of those.
    They should at least try make it look half decent, ..

Let the grandkids have a go with the colouring pencils & crayons. Liven things up during the ceremony. Or all could write a message on the coffin like on a plaster cast .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Jaysus, can you imagine having a relative in the 99 pound yoke and the arse falling out of it like a cheap supermarket bag with a load of shopping:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

and ice pop sticks for a cross at the grave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This would go well with the expensive blank of wood from Dunnes Stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

mad m wrote: »
    Jaysus, can you imagine having a relative in the 99 pound yoke and the arse falling out of it like a cheap supermarket bag with a load of shopping:D
    Just spat out my coffee in the office laughing at the taughts of that...good shower of rain heading into the church would speed things up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

LoL at some the comments in this thread.
    We might as well just forget about the cardboard as well and just dump our loved ones straight in the hole since hardwoods are too good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i love that the cremation option is +20euro haha brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

fdevine wrote:
    Flat rate shipping (£95) costs nearly as much as the coffin cardboard box

They send it in another cardboard box.

XsApollo wrote: »
    LoL at some the comments in this thread.
    We might as well just forget about the cardboard as well and just dump our loved ones straight in the hole since hardwoods are too good for them.

You have just been marketed this idea of a fancy box to go into the hole, do you think it makes a difference to them? They are dead!...in a lot of cultures they just wrap them in material, the whole thing is made to extract cash from you, a business transaction

• Advertisement

You have just been marketed this idea of a fancy box to go into the hole, do you think it makes a difference to them? They are dead!...in a lot of cultures they just wrap them in material, the whole thing is made to extract cash from you, a business transaction

I'm sure it doesn't make a difference to them.
    But On the other hand Will you be wrapping your partner in some tea towels and burying them ,or if that's not your thing and need an urn ,
    The metal ones can be expensive, sure i have an old dawn milk carton here that will do.

I'm sure it doesn't make a difference to them.
    But On the other hand Will you be wrapping your partner in some tea towels and burying them ,or if that's not your thing and need an urn ,
    The metal ones can be expensive, sure i have an old dawn milk carton here that will do.

I have already posted my even cheaper way, I'm donating my body to science, link is posted for info earlier in the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

i love that the cremation option is +20euro haha brilliant

Comes with a jerry can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

This would make a good present.

I have already posted my even cheaper way, I'm donating my body to science, link is posted for info earlier in the thread

Yea Rhea Icy Voucher that's for yourself, I wouldn't care for myself either btw.
    When it's someone you care about I don't think you will have the attitude of "it's just a fancy box to go in a hole, they are dead it won't make a difference to them , get the cardboard one"

• Advertisement

Yea gazz that's for yourself, I wouldn't care for myself either btw.
    When it's someone you care about I don't think you will have the attitude of "it's just a fancy box to go in a hole, they are dead it won't make a difference to them , get the cardboard one"

Thats what makes it sick, the exploitation of peoples grief to make super normal profits, what we need is a Ryan Air of the funeral industry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

So what's the general consensus then, not exactly a deal to die for?

Do they come in different sizes? Would be handy to have a little one to bury my GSD when she goes to doggy heaven.
    Personally I think it's a bargain, if it weren't for the extortionate postage and packaging costs, I might be tempted. Kids were always devils for playing with boxes instead of toys, this would be a dream come true for them.

Thats what makes it sick, the exploitation of peoples grief to make super normal profits, what we need is a Ryan Air of the funeral industry

So will you be burying your loved one in a cardboard box Rhea Icy Voucher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

pummice wrote: »

Considering that Keith Massey of Rom Massey had these almost 20years ago, that boring argument just doesn't stand up. He also exported them as they were not available in uk at the time.

Back then they were under £100 (pre euro) but very few took the option. Instead they preferred the laminated chipboard which looks well and sells for about €200.

Mostly these are used for cremation.

You can also rent an ornate coffin and have a cheap coffin skin inside which gets cremated whilst the ornate coffin is returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

They should at least try make it look half decent, or have a fancy rental box you can put it in or something. And the price is outrageous, £250 for the delux model.

£250 for an empty cardboard box???

Only hippies & green party TD's would go for this crap!

too be fair the person in the box isn't the choosy one or worried that next doors coffin is teak or oak

only on boards would a subject like "bargain alert cheap coffin" would be political, you should have blamed Enda in your reply for the full effect

And now the Enda's near, and I face the final curtain:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've been saving up my clubcard points. Bag for life, box for death.

coffin.jpe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Senna wrote: »

I think you've misunderstood him/her.

A buried coffin can eventually collapse with the weight of the earth on top of it, or the soil around it will in some way drop. If you're unfortunate enough to lose two family members in quick succession, which happens often enough, especially with elderly parents, then you might be laying a second coffin before the first has settled.

On a more simpler lever, it's not recommend to do too much with the top surface before a coffin settles because it can disrupt the soil. Again, a trivial detail for some, but a practical concern for people that have had to remove/dig up grave 'furniture', decorative items or plants/grass. All of that needs to be replaced. The sooner the coffins settles the better. Cardboard coffins would greatly speed up that process.

I'm only 32 years of age and I know all this crap. Sad, but there you go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Delacent wrote: »
    Considering that Keith Massey of Rom Massey had these almost 20years ago, that boring argument just doesn't stand up. He also exported them as they were not available in uk at the time.

Back then they were under £100 (pre euro) but very few took the option. Instead they preferred the laminated chipboard which looks well and sells for about €200.

Mostly these are used for cremation.

You can also rent an ornate coffin and have a cheap coffin skin inside which gets cremated whilst the ornate coffin is returned.

I'd prefer cardboard to chipboard for cremation. There's formaldehyde in chipboard glue, so these cheapo coffins are better for the environment.
    And if you have the rented fancy coffin with this inside, who's to know?

Too much discussion at funerals about "the cheap crappy coffin so-and-so was put in"...

• Advertisement
Advertisement