Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a mobile home

Options
  • 27-02-2017 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Is anyone doing it?! Looking for some opinions. We have just returned from overseas, currently staying with parents with a toddler and baby on the way. Cannot find a rental within 30km. Thinking of buying a mobile home and place it on my parents property for 2 years while we build.
    I believe we need planning permission. I don't know how much of an issue that will be at this stage but cost wise seems a good idea.
    Anyone have any thoughts/insight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

My bother did it out of desperation for a couple of years. It's gets bloody cold and this was the South East of England. I'd be very reluctant to expose a toddler to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Emylou

My bother did it out of desperation for a couple of years. It's gets bloody cold and this was the South East of England. I'd be very reluctant to expose a toddler to it.

Thanks for reply. We would be getting something fairly decent. Been looking into them and seem to be well insulated and sufficient heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

I second this. Very very cold in the winter months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

i lived in one with my then GF for 8 months as it was 5 minutes walk from where we worked, was cheap and we were saving money for something else. We were fine with it, but the one we had was very recent back then (1994). It was cold and condensation build up was a pain. We had a wood stove and access to free/very cheap wood, so that was OK. I wouldn't want a toddler in one, but they have improved a lot the past few years.

My cousin had himself, the wife and two kids in one for 7 months over a summer while building their house, he was happy with it, but they had little or no choice back then.

If I was you, I'd consdier renting one for a few months to see if you could hack it for two years with a small child, mobile homes have improved considerably in recent years, but they're still a bit away from a log house. i suppose you could always move the kid indoors to your parents if it gets really rough. Get one with a decent wood stove, especially if you have any access to free or cheap wood, as it's likely to save you a fortune over the two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Emylou

Red Kev wrote: »
    i lived in one with my then GF for 8 months as it was 5 minutes walk from where we worked, was cheap and we were saving money for something else. We were fine with it, but the one we had was very recent back then (1994). It was cold and condensation build up was a pain. We had a wood stove and access to free/very cheap wood, so that was OK. I wouldn't want a toddler in one, but they have improved a lot the past few years.

My cousin had himself, the wife and two kids in one for 7 months over a summer while building their house, he was happy with it, but they had little or no choice back then.

If I was you, I'd consdier renting one for a few months to see if you could hack it for two years with a small child, mobile homes have improved considerably in recent years, but they're still a bit away from a log house. i suppose you could always move the kid indoors to your parents if it gets really rough. Get one with a decent wood stove, especially if you have any access to free or cheap wood, as it's likely to save you a fortune over the two years.

Thanks for the reply. Yes they have improved a lot over the years. The ones I have been looking at all have electric fires, double glazed windows and central heating. And yes if weather did get really cold we could always come up to main house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm in my Den at the moment in a centrally heated C3 rated house and I'm almost considering putting on some pants.

Even a fairly well insulated home can get cold very quickly. I just can't imagine how a mobile home, the operative word being mobile, would be able to pack in enough insulation. Who knows maybe there have been some advances in mobile home insulation in the last few years or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Emylou wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yes they have improved a lot over the years. The ones I have been looking at all have electric fires, double glazed windows and central heating. And yes if weather did get really cold we could always come up to main house.

You'll lose heat through walls and the roof more than through the windows. Check the manufacturers U-Rating for the walls and roof, and indeed the windows. If they can't provide that, then walk away.

The electric heating will cost a lot over two years. Look into getting a wood stove installed and getting fuel for it.

Advertisement