Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council housing list...what happens next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

You need to proactively engage with the council, DSP and any other bodies who may be of assistance to you- to see what accommodations may be made to assist you. In some cases you may be expedited onto other housing schemes- such as HAP with topups above the local levels, to make you a more attractive tenant for a landlord- you need to explore what your options are though- not sit back and imagine that the Council Housing List is some sort of magic well that is going to magic up your ideal home in your ideal location- on time, for you to move into next July..........

Like i said in a previous post i am still looking for a place for myself and my child but with no luck.

It seems being a working lone parent is something to be avoided. Even though i have references and a job i still can't get a house. Being a recent HAP recipient its not helping either.

It makes me feel as if i am a persona non grata by society.
    It is very frustrating and stressful especially when you are in countdown to become a homeless and no matter what you do or what they ask for (and you give them) they always find something that makes you illegible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hesthea wrote: »
    Like i said in a previous post i am still looking for a place for myself and my child but with no luck.

It seems being a working lone parent is something to be avoided. Even though i have references and a job i still can't get a house. Being a recent HAP recipient its not helping either.

It makes me feel as if i am a persona non grata by society.
    It is very frustrating and stressful especially when you are in countdown to become a homeless and no matter what you do or what they ask for (and you give them) they always find something that makes you illegible.

Feeling with and for you.

I had a 200 mile plus move in January as my former ll was needing to sell and there was just nothing in my area within range.
    And I got rejected as I need rent allowance.

But I am alone so less worries. Not sure how long I can be here

NB CWOs do have discretionary powers in needful cases to pay when rent is above the limit..

Please, call Threshold?

And where are you looking?

There are a lot of houses to rent in eg local supermarkets. On the card notice board.

And email all the agents in the areas you need to rent in. I did that and said I was seeking a small basic rental. One agent came up with this place, which is very basic but fine for my needs .. several times now I have found accommodation that was not on the ads but listed at the agents.

It is a hard place to be OP.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Feeling with and for you.

I had a 200 mile plus move in January as my former ll was needing to sell and there was just nothing in my area within range.
    And I got rejected as I need rent allowance.

But I am alone so less worries. Not sure how long I can be here

NB CWOs do have discretionary powers in needful cases to pay when rent is above the limit..

Please, call Threshold?

And where are you looking?

There are a lot of houses to rent in eg local supermarkets. On the card notice board.

And email all the agents in the areas you need to rent in. I did that and said I was seeking a small basic rental. One agent came up with this place, which is very basic but fine for my needs .. several times now I have found accommodation that was not on the ads but listed at the agents.

It is a hard place to be OP.

I've been in touch with Threshold about my situation for sometime now. There is a limit to what they can do too.

I'm looking around all areas that have bus access so that my child keeps on going to the same school even if we have to ride the bus for almost 1h (Cork area)

Never saw anything regarding property for let on the supermarkets i go to.

I'm making phone calls and sending emails to agents and LL who also have properties on the market. No one answers or they say that there is nothing available or they tell me clearly that they do not accept single mothers nor rent allowance (HAP)

Isn't HAP part of CWO's?

I've been in touch with Threshold about my situation for sometime now. There is a limit to what they can do too.

I'm looking around all areas that have bus access so that my child keeps on going to the same school even if we have to ride the bus for almost 1h (Cork area)

Never saw anything regarding property for let on the supermarkets i go to.

I'm making phone calls and sending emails to agents and LL who also have properties on the market. No one answers or they say that there is nothing available or they tell me clearly that they do not accept single mothers nor rent allowance (HAP)

Isn't HAP part of CWO's?

Re your last query. Yes but I am not well up on HAP. I was lucky as having been on rent allowance years and with my advanced age they let me stay on it.

I know how hard the situation is now. I really do. Just keep trying is all you can do. N B it is illegal to refuse on grounds of rent allowance .

I mentioned re supermarkets as in mine there are several to let cards.

I have a lease for a year and not sure then after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

HAP is run by your local housing authority

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Is the school in Cork city or suburbs?

N B it is illegal to refuse on grounds of rent allowance .

I mentioned re supermarkets as in mine there are several to let cards.

I have a lease for a year and not sure then after that.

I shop at Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl and Dealz and never saw anything.

Even thought its illegal they still refuse it or find smarter ways to refuse that does not infringe the law.

Gatling wrote: »
    HAP is run by your local housing authority

So is CWO's unrelated to it?

pilly wrote: »
    Is the school in Cork city or suburbs?

Cork city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Even thought its illegal they still refuse it or find smarter ways to refuse that does not infringe the law.

So is CWO's unrelated to it?

Cork city
    You'll be waiting years for housing in Cork City.

I applied for housing with them in 2003, got housed in 2012, and that was a struggle to even get it. Are you seeing housing on the north or southside?

I can PM details of those those assisted my case in getting housing.

<mod snip: let's not go there please>

Smaller supermarkets have dedicated notice boards; eg supervalu and you can put notices up there yourself too.

Smaller supermarkets have dedicated notice boards; eg supervalu and you can put notices up there yourself too.

I also shop at that one but never saw anything to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I also shop at that one but never saw anything to be honest.

You need to start thinking outside the box, as others have said, getting on the council list practically means nothing. You need to put out feelers through friends and family, the school, and any other organisation/club/group you're involved with.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

When my landlord gave me the new 3y lease he made very clear that if i wanted to break the lease i couldn't unless i was willing to pay out, yet he added a clause in the lease allowing him that right when i couldn't do the same.

I was satisfied with the place so moving wasn't an option at that time although it was unfair to not give me the same rights that he bestowed upon himself.

I know people that have been waiting between 3 to 11 years so yes, i am not expecting a miracle but i also cannot afford to become a homeless person for my child's sake. Hence i haven't given up and check for houses/ apartments everyday.

This might be completely irrelevant and not useful at all, but has a solicitor taken a look to that lease and did you get in writing the landlord saying that it was increasing the rent?
    The Citizen's Information Offices usually have a solicitor that gives advice for free. I am suggesting this because even though your landlord included the clause that he couldn't break the lease without penalties but you didn't first that it's an unfair clause in a contract and not sure if it would be legal.

The second reason is that contracts can be broken but they have rules to be legal for them being broken. Breaking the contract immediately after a proposed rent increase if that rent increase wasn't supposed to happen for at least 3 years might put the landlord in a bad situation. It might not give you the right to live in the apartment/ house for the remainder of the lease but maybe it can give you a breather to find alternative accommodation.

The only reason I'm suggesting this is because I'm seeing more and more abuse from landlords trying to catch up with rents increases when they shouldn't. I understand they have mortgages to pay, but people are people and they should be treated fairly and a contract they have signed is a contract not an instrument they can use for their benefit only

athtrasna wrote: »
    You need to start thinking outside the box, as others have said, getting on the council list practically means nothing. You need to put out feelers through friends and family, the school, and any other organisation/club/group you're involved with.

Its just me and my child. My friends have their own lives and even though they are helping me to find a house there is not much they can do too. Talked with school but they can't help. I'm not involved in any organisation/club/group because i have no time for anything of the sort.

This is the life of a single parent with no one to turn to.

KC161 wrote: »
    You'll be waiting years for housing in Cork City.

I applied for housing with them in 2003, got housed in 2012, and that was a struggle to even get it. Are you seeing housing on the north or southside?

I can PM details of those those assisted my case in getting housing.

<mod snip: let's not go there please>

I'm looking for houses mainly in the south of the city.

tanit wrote: »
    This might be completely irrelevant and not useful at all, but has a solicitor taken a look to that lease and did you get in writing the landlord saying that it was increasing the rent?
    The Citizen's Information Offices usually have a solicitor that gives advice for free. I am suggesting this because even though your landlord included the clause that he couldn't break the lease without penalties but you didn't first that it's an unfair clause in a contract and not sure if it would be legal.

The second reason is that contracts can be broken but they have rules to be legal for them being broken. Breaking the contract immediately after a proposed rent increase if that rent increase wasn't supposed to happen for at least 3 years might put the landlord in a bad situation. It might not give you the right to live in the apartment/ house for the remainder of the lease but maybe it can give you a breather to find alternative accommodation.

The only reason I'm suggesting this is because I'm seeing more and more abuse from landlords trying to catch up with rents increases when they shouldn't. I understand they have mortgages to pay, but people are people and they should be treated fairly and a contract they have signed is a contract not an instrument they can use for their benefit only

i have been to threshold. They have read and made copies of my lease and even the letter about the rent increase and later then the termination notice. Made a case with PRTB and will have a hearing with them soon. My landlord meanwhile gave me another termination letter with the missing documents to be considered a valid one.

3 days after the last viewing of the place, they phoned me informing me i have to leave the house at the end of termination because they sold the place.

The reason i'm advancing with PRTB hearing is because i want to be heard. I am a tenant and i feel i have no rights whatsoever. I have a written lease. Always paid on time and took well care of the place as if it were my own. Still i have to leave when i have nowhere to go even though i am on receipt of HAP because i am discriminated for being a lone parent and HAP.

i have references from my employer and landlord. A full time job and still cant get a place. Does any of this makes any sense? In a society so pro life (as it likes to call itself) being discriminated because of it is pure hypocrisy.

Its just me and my child. My friends have their own lives and even though they are helping me to find a house there is not much they can do too. Talked with school but they can't help. I'm not involved in any organisation/club/group because i have no time for anything of the sort.

This is the life of a single parent with no one to turn to.

I'm looking for houses mainly in the south of the city.

i have been to threshold. They have read and made copies of my lease and even the letter about the rent increase and later then the termination notice. Made a case with PRTB and will have a hearing with them soon. My landlord meanwhile gave me another termination letter with the missing documents to be considered a valid one.

3 days after the last viewing of the place, they phoned me informing me i have to leave the house at the end of termination because they sold the place.

The reason i'm advancing with PRTB hearing is because i want to be heard. I am a tenant and i feel i have no rights whatsoever. I have a written lease. Always paid on time and took well care of the place as if it were my own. Still i have to leave when i have nowhere to go even though i am on receipt of HAP because i am discriminated for being a lone parent and HAP.

i have references from my employer and landlord. A full time job and still cant get a place. Does any of this makes any sense? In a society so pro life (as it likes to call itself) being discriminated because of it is pure hypocrisy.

Certain area's are much easier to get than others.

Loads of places in certain area's Like Mahon, Togher.

Ballyphehane has a few as well.

Did they fill the new housing estate across from Togher garda station? it's entirely council owned.

Certain area's are much easier to get than others.

Loads of places in certain area's Like Mahon, Togher.

Ballyphehane has a few as well.

Did they fill the new housing estate across from Togher garda station? it's entirely council owned.

I'm looking in all those areas and some more even though some will be almost 1h bus ride still no luck.

About Togher i do not know but since i'm fairly new into this i guess people waiting longer have priority over it hence it was not given as an option to me when i received the papers for HAP.

Am i also giving priority to a house with a small back garden instead of an apartment (although i am looking into apartments). We are living in one for 3 years but for the prices they are asking now i prefer to pay the same for a house with some space outside so that my child can play freely while getting some sun. Although so far is just wishful thinking.

I'm looking in all those areas and some more even though some will be almost 1h bus ride still no luck.

About Togher i do not know but since i'm fairly new into this i guess people waiting longer have priority over it hence it was not given as an option to me when i received the papers for HAP.

Am i also giving priority to a house with a small back garden instead of an apartment (although i am looking into apartments). We are living in one for 3 years but for the prices they are asking now i prefer to pay the same for a house with some space outside so that my child can play freely while getting some sun. Although so far is just wishful thinking.

Write a letter to the allocations officer in city hall.

Those on the list longest don't always get first preference.

People with children are looked at as more in need than a single person unless there are underlying reasons.

When we had our first 2 kids my O/H was living with her parents while I was in a bedsit.

Only when baby number 3 was on the way and a house came up at the same time in our preferred area did we manage to secure it.

Have you had any offers to date?

If you take HAP that removes you from the housing waiting list as far as I know as you are deemed housed.

It is the same as R.A.S basically is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Considering your situation with your current landlord I wouldn't use that reference when looking for a place.

In any case I wish you the best with your situation and hope you get a proper hearing. And it's definitely worth trying going to the council and telling them your situation, as other people have said cases like yours get moved upwards in the list regardless of when they apply.

Best of luck and best wishes to you and anyone like you in your situation. I'm sorry I can't offer better advice or help

:(:(

Write a letter to the allocations officer in city hall.

(...)

Have you had any offers to date?

If you take HAP that removes you from the housing waiting list as far as I know as you are deemed housed.

It is the same as R.A.S basically is my understanding.

Its the fist time i'm in such situation and to be honest i have no idea how should i write a letter to the allocations office. When i went to city hall and explained my situation when giving the documents for a social house what they told me is that there is nothing they can do except for me to check their website and choose the accommodations i think that are good for me but since they are all 3 or 4 bed houses/ apt. i won't be having any since we are a family of 2 only.

What i was told is that even if i'm on HAP i will still be on the housing list even though its a different type of list and can be moved to the preferred one anytime.

Don't know what RAS is.

tanit wrote: »
    Considering your situation with your current landlord I wouldn't use that reference when looking for a place.

In any case I wish you the best with your situation and hope you get a proper hearing. And it's definitely worth trying going to the council and telling them your situation, as other people have said cases like yours get moved upwards in the list regardless of when they apply.

Best of luck and best wishes to you and anyone like you in your situation. I'm sorry I can't offer better advice or help

:(:(

The problem is that its the only reference i have and nowadays everyone asks for references from landlords even if they are not obligated to give you one much less in writing.

Already tried to talk with them but their answer is always the same. There are more people in my situation so there is nothing they can do.

And thank you =)

OP as I was falling asleep last night, remembered someone here talking about getting help from a voluntary housing association?

And also that I was offered such when my problems started.

Can anyone here help with that please? Was it CLWD?

They might well help in these circumstances.

OP as I was falling asleep last night, remembered someone here talking about getting help from a voluntary housing association?

And also that I was offered such when my problems started.

Can anyone here help with that please? Was it CLWD?

They might well help in these circumstances.

Sounds like cluid they won't deal with the op ,they would have to apply for one of their properties though the choice based lettings , who the council will then allow to be placed but with zero time on the housing list the op has at least an 8-10 + year wait to be housed unfortunately

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Sounds like cluid they won't deal with the op ,they would have to apply for one of their properties though the choice based lettings , who the council will then allow to be placed but with zero time on the housing list the op has at least an 8-10 + year wait to be housed unfortunately

Ok thanks. Hard place to be I know

I was offered one in a private housing association by someone I knew. Limerick though that was.

Op are there any free papers there you can put an ad in?
    Cards in supermarkets, in shop windows?

This is a hard time of year with the tourist season near.

md323 wrote: »
    (...) we cannot find suitable accommodation within our budget, hence why we submitted a housing application form.
    Hope someone might know what happens next..

md323, a colleague from work told me to go talk with the TD's in my area and explain my situation. Maybe they can do something about it.

Was it this you were talking about?

Cluid Housing

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Just got a phonecall to say we have been accepted into the housing list and also accepted for hap, can anyone tell me the best option?

Just got a phonecall to say we have been accepted into the housing list and also accepted for hap, can anyone tell me the best option?

Hap if you can find a landlord to take it you have a roof over your head ,
    Your looking at a 12+ year wait to be housed by the county council either way

Look for a private rental straight away with a LL that will accept HAP. You can also tell them that you still want to stay on the housing list but as per above you will be a long time waiting. Maybe not 12 years, it depends on your area.

pilly wrote: »
    Look for a private rental straight away with a LL that will accept HAP. You can also tell them that you still want to stay on the housing list but as per above you will be a long time waiting. Maybe not 12 years, it depends on your area.

Can you stay on the housing list while receiving hap? I didn't think you could?

Can you stay on the housing list while receiving hap? I didn't think you could?

Yes but you specifically have to request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

md323 wrote:

Go for hap, you could be languishing on the list waiting for years to be housed, you have the option of staying in the housing list should suitable accommodation become available.
    Getting a landlord to accept hap can be tricky though. Make sure you have a deposit and maybe 2 months rent as it can take a few weeks to get haps sorted. (paperwork)

Have found a house and landlord that is willing to accept HAP, only problem is the rent is higher then the hap limit, anyone know what happens in that case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Are you not allowed make up the difference?

Advertisement