Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council housing list...what happens next?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

jon1981 wrote: »
    Are you not allowed make up the difference?

I'm not sure, only got word tonight that he would accept it.
    Will ring tomorrow and find out.
    Was just wondering if someone on here has experience about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dee40

md323 wrote: »

Your allowed make up difference x delighted you got sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

You are allowed to make up the difference and you could also ask the Council to use discretion in the HAP limits, if you feel that the total rent minus your allowance would cause financial hardship ( you will need to be able to substantiate it though). Remember also that you have to pay a "rent" to the Council.

Vizzy wrote: »
    You are allowed to make up the difference and you could also ask the Council to use discretion in the HAP limits, if you feel that the total rent minus your allowance would cause financial hardship ( you will need to be able to substantiate it though). Remember also that you have to pay a "rent" to the Council.

Have you any idea how much 'rent' I have to pay?

It will depend on your income (ring the Council rent office in the morning and they will be able to tell you).
    The way HAP works is as follows;

Say for instance the rent is €600 p/m
    If your allowance is €600 p/m

Then you will only pay the amount of rent that is due to the Council (based on your income)

If the rent is €700 p/m and your allowance is €600 p/m, then you will have to make up the extra €100 p/m yourself plus you will have to pay the rent to the Council, based on your income.

In theory, you can stay in HAP for the rest of your life and if you tell the Council that you also want to be considered for Local Authority housing you will also be considered for that also, further down the line.
    If that is what you want to do, make sure you tell the Council, otherwise they will consider you adequately housed.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

In theory, you can stay in HAP for the rest of your life and if you tell the Council that you also want to be considered for Local Authority housing you will also be considered for that also, further down the line.
    If that is what you want to do, make sure you tell the Council, otherwise they will consider you adequately housed.
    Best of luck.

Is this in writing anywhere, or is it just your theory - because they told my sister she could only have it one way or the other and now she has given up her place on housing list after many years waiting

No theory !!.

You fill your HAP form ( which is effectively your tenancy agreement) and there is an accompanying form that you sign to say that you want to remain on the transfer list of the County Council.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/hap-info-leaflet-english-v5-2017.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

No theory !!.

You fill your HAP form ( which is effectively your tenancy agreement) and there is an accompanying form that you sign to say that you want to remain on the transfer list of the County Council.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/hap-info-leaflet-english-v5-2017.pdf

I can confirm this.
    I've finally found a house (in conditions) whose landlord accepts HAP. After filling out all the forms and giving out the requested documents (a copy of the lease included) you also get a form to sign stating that you wish to remain in the housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

can i ask how soon after you secured the place was hap approved for the house?

We are currently renting privately but due to rent increases and our landlord not wanting to take hap we are being forced to look for a new place.

the council has agreed to hap for us but there is so little rentals available in our area I'm wondering would it be better to pay first months rent ourselves just to secure place while hap is being arranged?

vickers209 wrote: »
    can i ask how soon after you secured the place was hap approved for the house?

We are currently renting privately but due to rent increases and our landlord not wanting to take hap we are being forced to look for a new place.

the council has agreed to hap for us but there is so little rentals available in our area I'm wondering would it be better to pay first months rent ourselves just to secure place while hap is being arranged?

I have paid the first month upfront myself for the month of May. Just sent my hap application in the post today. From what I've read online it seems to take 4-8 weeks for the first payment from the council to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I have paid the first month upfront myself for the month of May. Just sent my hap application in the post today. From what I've read online it seems to take 4-8 weeks for the first payment from the council to happen.

And then people wonder why LL's won't accept HAP. This is not a jab at you OP but the council. They expect LL's to accept HAP, take the rent in arrears and wait 8 weeks to get paid? It just can't compete with the private market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Will the payment be backdated?
    if so who will get the money landlord or yourself seeing as you have already paid 1 month

pilly wrote: »
    And then people wonder why LL's won't accept HAP. This is not a jab at you OP but the council. They expect LL's to accept HAP, take the rent in arrears and wait 8 weeks to get paid? It just can't compete with the private market.

What do mean take the rent in arrears?

vickers209 wrote: »
    Will the payment be backdated?
    if so who will get the money landlord or yourself seeing as you have already paid 1 month

I presume it will be. Was talking to the landlord and he said he will tell us if he gets it and give it back to us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

What do mean take the rent in arrears?

It's paid at the end of a month, not the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

I presume it will be. Was talking to the landlord and he said he will tell us if he gets it and give it back to us

Good to hear your good news.

Advertisement