Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting help

Options
  • 27-02-2017 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

We have done some work preparing the back garden of our house since we bought it. I took this picture of it just now. Our plan is to put a patio down beside where the shed is as that area of the garden has the sun for late into the evening during the summer so a good spot to enjoy a BBQ. We plan to lay railway sleepers all the way down the left and the right in line with the wall to make areas to plant flowers along the walls.

The problem is I have no plant knowledge so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on what to plant, good place in Dublin to buy planting, any good resources to read for tips to help?

Thinking of buying roll out grass if anyone has advice on that. Our neighbours throw food on their roof for birds so I have doubts that grass seed would last long.

All advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

We have done some work preparing the back garden of our house since we bought it. I took this picture of it just now. Our plan is to put a patio down beside where the shed is as that area of the garden has the sun for late into the evening during the summer so a good spot to enjoy a BBQ. We plan to lay railway sleepers all the way down the left and the right in line with the wall to make areas to plant flowers along the walls.

The problem is I have no plant knowledge so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on what to plant, good place in Dublin to buy planting, any good resources to read for tips to help?

Thinking of buying roll out grass if anyone has advice on that. Our neighbours throw food on their roof for birds so I have doubts that grass seed would last long.

All advice appreciated. Thanks

Cant give you any advice at this stage but im wondering ... how will you deal with the gravity in the garden !? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Presumably your house is on the west side of your garden which means you have sun at the bottom end of the garden in the evenings? Which would mean that the left wall (as you look at the pic) faces south (its on the north side, but it faces south), the opposite side faces north. This is the first thing you need to work out. It may be that you are at a different angle, but once you have worked it out you will have a better idea of where to plant trees (on the north side so they do not cast shadows across the garden, and how to deal with your borders.

On the south facing wall you could plant sun loving plants, annuals which will come available in the shops in about May for the summer, plus a few shrubs and trees to give interest at other times. In the north facing border you could plant shade loving plants such as ferns, woodland plants etc.

Tell us what kind of look you want and which way the garden is oriented, and where the patio is going to go. There are numerous threads on here about plants for different conditions, but we can offer some suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

There is a (time-consuming) solution to protecting a newly seeded lawn; insert short sticks (about 6 inches high) all around the perimeter, at intervals of about 6 inches. Thread these with black thread, in a criss-cross pattern,to form a network right across the lawn. This will catch on the wings of most birds, and deter them from landing. You can also hang some objects such as old CDs or spiral twirlers made from the cores of toilet rolls and kitchen towels, covered in foil and hung from sloping canes etc. My mother did all these things when she sowed a lawn for me to play on when I was a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

That's nice looking soil...if you sow the lawn when food is plentiful, the birds won't really bother with the seed. They might come and peck the lawn for worms though - starlings and crows being the main culprits.

Go to the library for a few books on gardening or keep your eyes open for plants that neighbours/houses you're passing have that you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Geoff Hamilton's books are a very good starting point for any new gardener looking for ideas. Look at the pictures in his books for inspiration.

A bit if advice, don't go to the garden center and buy a load of plants in one go. Go once a month, see what's in flower that you like, or if no flowers an interesting colour bark maby and not forgetting bulbs. Take it home and put it where you fancy, being aware of its size and colour. That way you will have interest all year round. If somthing fails its a planting opportunity for somthing else. Make sure you know the potential size of any trees you plant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Amateurrunner

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, the garden priority was dropped due to some bad weekend weather but also a small baby disliking sleep. I've been walking around a lot recently looking at people's gardens. I really like very strong colours, different pinks and purples are my favourite. I'm not sure if it isn't ok to take some pictures of flowers in random gardens, I've been tempted but haven't gone there yet.

Looking at google earth I think my house is North West. Look see you are right though we are putting the patio at the back of the garden beside the shed as that gets sun all day. The picture is taken from the house and the left side gets sun most of the day but the right side right up against the wall where we plan to put raised beds can be in the shade a lot. I guess normally I like things to be balanced so ideally would have it in my head to plant similar plants on the two sides of the garden but this probably isn't an option when one is sunny most of the the day and one is shaded most of the day. I'd love to get some suggestions for bright coloured flowers for either side. Shrubbery wise I will really struggle as I know I can't just plant flowers but I'd be tempted.

My husband really wants to plant grass seed so we are going to give that a go. He bought some "bird resistant" seed so hopefully that will work.

My husband is doing all the hard work but the flowers are my job so any advice welcome. Old tree I like your comment re not buying loads of plants in one go as that is totally what I would have done. Getting closer to planting stage so must get a gardening book.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Amateurrunner

I thought I'd attach the latest picture to give you an idea of the space I'll be working with.

Advertisement