Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a plant/shrub/grass for full shade please

Options
  • 27-02-2017 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

The area is sheltered by a wall but has zero/v little sunshine, don't want something too fast growing or that will grow that large.

Any advice and suggestions appreciate, TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Rhododendron or Chilean lantern tree can do well in shade as do a variety of ferns that might be a better choice if you want something smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

macraignil wrote: »
    Rhododendron or Chilean lantern tree can do well in shade as do a variety of ferns that might be a better choice if you want something smaller.

Yes they'd have to be along the lines of ferns, or do all grasses need sunlight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Sarcococca. Nice dark glossy leaves, moderate grower to about six feet, has small white flowers with a lovely strong scent from around December to February. One of my favourite plants, I have three of them planted in the side passage to my house which gets no sun at any time of the year and they thrive on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yes they'd have to be along the lines of ferns, or do all grasses need sunlight?

Grasses from my experience tend to need more light than some other plants. In nature you would more likely find grass out in an open field and something like ivy more often under the shade of trees. Ferns have a slightly different life cycle to flowering plants and need damp to propagate. This means many are adapted to live in damp shady environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Sarcococca. Nice dark glossy leaves, moderate grower to about six feet, has small white flowers with a lovely strong scent from around December to February. One of my favourite plants, I have three of them planted in the side passage to my house which gets no sun at any time of the year and they thrive on it.

One plant I've had no luck with for some reason. Planted 3 and none have thrived

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One plant I've had no luck with for some reason. Planted 3 and none have thrived

I have one in a rather shady spot and it does very well. Anything that grows in woodland will usually do well, ferns, honeysuckle, some roses, berginia, Hellebores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I have a North facing wall. I have filled this area with Azalea, Camellia, Helleborus, Hosta, Flame of the Forest, Flowering Quince. All perform superbly.

LOTS, what is the Flame of the Forest you mention? Is it Butea Monosperma or Delonix regia, both of which are tropical trees so it seems unlikely?

Also, agree about the Quince, I have one in a north east facing spot in glorious flower at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

I guess it's pieris forest flame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Yes. Sorry. Pieris Forest Flame.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, I had it in the back of my mind that there was a more likely plant!

Advertisement