Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Forest Gateau sponge made night before?

• 27-02-2017 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi

I plan on serving Balck Forest Gateau on Friday, I could I make the sponge the night before?

I was going to try the odiums recipe: http://www.odlums.ie/recipes/black-forest-gateau/
    Except no alcohol.

I haven't made this before, any tips or advice appreciated.
    (If anyone has a tried and tested recipe I'll try it.)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd say you could definitely make the sponge a day ahead. I have no experience of making black forest gateau, just eating it so I'd love to see how it turns out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Never made one either, but wondered if it might be actually advisable to make them the day before, as the cream might absorb into it too easy.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2303676/black-forest-gteau
    This turned out beautifully! I made the cakes the day before and left them in their pans overnight and had no trouble with them crumbling as others have mentioned.
    Made for New Year's dinner, delicious! Made the sponges the day before and left to cool completely before removing from tins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Made the sponge the day before and stored it wrapped in cling film.
    I made the syrup and assembled on the day it was a huge hit with everyone.
    I didn't put any alcohol in it and I'm glad I didn't.
    It was quite rich.

Edited to say, the sponges don't rise much, but actually I think that's the idea, because otherwise the sponge would be too soggy after the syrup goes on.

As a side note, I think the instructions on the odlums website are a little out of order but the experienced bakers would have picked up on that (unlike myself!)
    The cooking instructions say 30 mins @ 200 but they were overcooked after 20 mins.
    I definitely should have cooked @ 180 min.
    Here's two pic's:
    photo-47.JPG

photo-48.JPG

ellejay wrote: »
    Made the sponge the day before and stored it wrapped in cling film.
    I made the syrup and assembled on the day it was a huge hit with everyone.
    I didn't put any alcohol in it and I'm glad I didn't.
    It was quite rich.

As a side note, I think the instructions on the odlums website are a little out of order but the experienced bakers would have picked up on that.

Here's two pic's:
    photo-47.JPG

photo-48.JPG

Yum, yum. Looks great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That looks amazing! Black Forest is my all time favourite cake :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement