Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2003 honda civic tapping noise

• 27-02-2017 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

ok i have a 2003 honda civic,when i start it first thing theres a tapping noise from engine,but when i drive it a bit it gets a lot more silent?any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

lolokeogh wrote: »
    ok i have a 2003 honda civic,when i start it first thing theres a tapping noise from engine,but when i drive it a bit it gets a lot more silent?any ideas?

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a hole in the manifold.

Edit: if you could upload a video it would give people a better idea of what it may be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It might be a "tappety" sort of noise due to low oil or the wrong grade of oil. In a high-mileage engine you might also have a touch of piston-slap when cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you turn off the ac and/or heating fan does that make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A tapping that subsides after a minute or less is often the valves
    If it's longer then manifold

There could be other reasons but these stand out for me

Start by checking that you have enough oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭kay 9

Valve clearances possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Presume you've checked oil levels?? Lack of oil is normally the cause. Next would be oil pump. then tappet clearance.

Do these have rods or hydraulic lifters? Is it V-tec?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Steve wrote: »
    Presume you've checked oil levels?? Lack of oil is normally the cause. Next would be oil pump. then tappet clearance.

Do these have rods or hydraulic lifters? Is it V-tec?

folks thanks a million for all the replys.ehhhh was what you would call alack off oil..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

folks thanks a million for all the replys.ehhhh was what you would call alack off oil..

Oops...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It happens when the oil thickens as it hasn't been changed in a while. The thicker old oil takes longer to get up around the cams/hyrdraulic lifters and so they're noisy till the oil circulates around them and quietens them down.

Change the oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ehhhh was what you would call alack off oil..
    A lack of oil is when the oil on the dipstick is lower than the min mark, or maybe not even present on stick.
    How low was it?

If you do need to add oil, add a little at the time (maybe a quarter litre at the time) so you don't overfill by mistake.
    Check after every little fill.
    You will get the feel for much to add once you have done it a couple times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Id give it a service if it hasnt been serviced in a while. An oil and filter change would do it the world of good

Advertisement