Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transaction coordination

Options
  • 27-02-2017 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I want to pick your brains if I can please.

A question really - when you buy a house and are at the stage where an offer has been accepted, would you pay someone to do the legwork with solicitors and real estate agents after that? e.g. make the phone calls to the solicitors to find out where the hold ups are and if necessary get documentation from council, get the building inspection sorted and follow up with the estate agent if any repairs are required - basically if you used a mortgage broker to get your mortgage deal this is similar, taking the pain away from dealing with the sale/purchase process.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You harass your solicitor, solicitor harasses 3rd parties. Looking to add an extra cog will add needless pain and expense. It's up to you to organise any inspections.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Most of that is what you're paying the solicitor for, and the other aspects need your attention because they're really important.

You can download an app to schedule SMSs in advance. Just send one to the solicitor every couple of days with "Are we nearly there yet?".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

BattyInNZ wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I want to pick your brains if I can please.

A question really - when you buy a house and are at the stage where an offer has been accepted, would you pay someone to do the legwork with solicitors and real estate agents after that?

Do you mean booking deposit paid? For an offer to be formally accepted you need to have a solicitor in place already. At the stage you're at, either party can walk away for any reason. Keep looking you're about 50/50 on whether you ever get the keys.
    e.g. make the phone calls to the solicitors to find out where the hold ups are

The hold ups will be frequent and varied. Your solicitor will try and push things through assuming you don't got for the cheapest one you can find or end up with a complete fool.
    and if necessary get documentation from council,

I ended up doing that.
    get the building inspection sorted

You do that.
    and follow up with the estate agent if any repairs are required -

You do that and you begin a whole new round of sniffing each other butts to come to a resolution on it. Be prepared to walk - so keep looking.
    basically if you used a mortgage broker to get your mortgage deal this is similar, taking the pain away from dealing with the sale/purchase process.

Thanks

I doubt they would and I wouldn't be trusting them to do this on my behalf. If you want that sort of service you need some sort of property negotiator. May be see if any of the leading estate agents offer a buyers service, expect to pay top dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I've often wondered why we don't have proper realtor's in Ireland. Ones that work for the buyer. You talk to them and tell them what you want, they scour the market for you and arrange viewings etc like in the US. I guess there is too much power in the seller's corner these days. Imagine an Irish open viewing with free food etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BBMcQ wrote: »
    I've often wondered why we don't have proper realtor's in Ireland. Ones that work for the buyer. You talk to them and tell them what you want, they scour the market for you and arrange viewings etc like in the US. I guess there is too much power in the seller's corner these days. Imagine an Irish open viewing with free food etc!
    That free food is paid for with 6% fees.

I sold my house last year in Ireland for a 1% fee, and bought for 0%.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

There are companies doing this in Ireland. Internet search will find them

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I've often wondered why we don't have proper realtor's in Ireland. Ones that work for the buyer. . . .
    Because we don't want to pay for them, basically. I dare say if you offer an Irish estate agent a similar fee to what he would get in the US for doing these things, he'll be delighted to attend to your every whim.

Advertisement