Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a Red Setter?

Options
  • 27-02-2017 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know anything about the availability of Red Setter pups at the minute. A few on Done Deal but like everything else up there I'd be a bit nervous of what I was buying... Would like to get one mostly as a pet but will be used for some shooting in the winter too so needs to be from a working blood line.
    Would prefer to see both parents if possible when buying the dog and sex is not a definite but would choose a bitch if I had the choice as easier to train I've found in the past.
    Living in the county side on a dairy farm and dog will be living with a young (I think we are anyway!) couple, plenty space and mountain for the dog to be well exercised.
    Does anyone know a guide price for pups too? Would rather pay a bit more for a well bred one. Definitely has to be pure bred as wouldn't risk a cross around children etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You say you shoot but I notice from your post history you haven't posted in the hunting forum. Maybe you didn't know it was there? It might be a better place to enquire about working line dogs. I can move your thread there if you wish. A link to the thread would still appear here.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Saying I shoot would be probably be highly insulting to most good hunters. I fire shots at pheasants and I am fortunate enough I'm not dependant on my strike rate for dinner usually! More an excuse to get out for a good long walk and relax, and also get a few days out and about with my better halfs' father, this is why the dog would be primarily a pet ha.
    Would be great if you could move the post, wasnt aware the forum existed. Done a simple search for red setters and ended up on the animal and pet issue forum is why I am here!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

That's the thread moved for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

i have sent you a private mess about the reds

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ecotone

Corrib Gundogs in Clare have a litter at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭irish setter

Signpost wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know anything about the availability of Red Setter pups at the minute. A few on Done Deal but like everything else up there I'd be a bit nervous of what I was buying... Would like to get one mostly as a pet but will be used for some shooting in the winter too so needs to be from a working blood line.
    Would prefer to see both parents if possible when buying the dog and sex is not a definite but would choose a bitch if I had the choice as easier to train I've found in the past.
    Living in the county side on a dairy farm and dog will be living with a young (I think we are anyway!) couple, plenty space and mountain for the dog to be well exercised.
    Does anyone know a guide price for pups too? Would rather pay a bit more for a well bred one. Definitely has to be pure bred as wouldn't risk a cross around children etc.

I have some. Pm me for details

Advertisement