Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1ltr cars available in Ireland?

• 27-02-2017 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭

what new (or not very old) Cars with a 1.0ltr can you buy in Ireland these days? - must have 4 cylinders, I dont like 3 cylinder cars

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

OSI wrote: »
    Why so fixated on 1 litre?

Associated additional motor running cost like Car Tax and insurance and economy mainly... and most of the time a 1ltre engine on a small car will suffice I think personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Associated additional motor running cost like Car Tax and insurance and economy mainly... and most of the time a 1ltre engine on a small car will suffice I think personally.

From 2008 motortax is not based on engine size, so you won't get cheaper tax with 1 litre engine comparing to bigger ones.

Insurance cost - I don't know - don't think it makes so much difference.

Economy - in most cars small engines like 1.0 are actually less fuel economical than bigger ones.

Also it's going to be hard to find 4 cyllinder 1 litre engine.

CiniO wrote: »
    From 2008 motortax is not based on engine size, so you won't get cheaper tax with 1 litre engine comparing to bigger ones.

Insurance cost - I don't know - don't think it makes so much difference.

Economy - in most cars small engines like 1.0 are actually less fuel economical than bigger ones.

Also it's going to be hard to find 4 cyllinder 1 litre engine.

Ah right - this is what list I was looking at - also wouldnt a 1ltr engine use less co2 than an 1149 enging so therefore be cheaper on tax? - as you can see on list a 1100 is 100eur a year dearer on tax than a 1ltr:

17012788_10211473524967628_682862824_n.jpg?oh=b18af5c639e447a3b8f4cfab5056713b&oe=58B65624

JtByrne wrote: »
    Tax isn't effected by engine size anymore.

If you're looking for cars with low insurance here are some

https://www.kennco.ie/blog/cars-cheaper-insurance/

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/the-cheapest-cars-for-insurance.html

Thanks, I didnt realise it changed in 2008 to be honest, I thought it was still a sliding scale based on size of engine size.

I suppose the next questions have to ask is now you have listed which cars are cheap on insurance is where to get a car which has an annual Car tax rate of 199eur like the 1ltr cars had .. then I am nearly there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most of your new average type cars have motor tax of €200 or €180 depending on the car's Co2 figure. It's all relevant to how much you want to spend on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Shedite27

what new (or not very old) Cars with a 1.0ltr can you buy in Ireland these days? - must have 4 cylinders, I dont like 3 cylinder cars
    Renault Captur has a 0.9l turbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Ford Focus and Mondeo - both are available with a 1.0 litre "ecoboost" petrol engine (125bhp).

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Renault Captur has a 0.9l turbo

But it's 3 cylinder... as vast majority of up to 1 litre modern engines.

I'm actually curious if there is any new car on the market with 1.0 litre or smaller engine which would have 4 cylinders.

I should have also included the info of "4cylinder 1.0ltr priced at around 11/12,000 " and easy to park in small places :)

Bet that narrows it down a bit more?

chicorytip wrote: »
    Ford Focus and Mondeo - both are available with a 1.0 litre "ecoboost" petrol engine (125bhp).

that is good .. but very out of price range at 20 grand and its only 3 cylinder - now unless they have balanced up the 3 cylinder engines these days and they idle smoothly im not interested in 'odd' number pistons :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hyundai i10 had a 4 cylinder 1.1. The newer ones are 3 cyl 1.0
    Anything up to 1.2 would be grand for insurance

chicorytip wrote: »

3 cylinder though

not being a mechanic - whats the deal with making 1ltre engines with 3cylinders rather than 4 is it more economical for the cars if they have 3 cylinders or is it more economical for the manufacturer because they only have to make an engine with 3 pistons etc or is it just to make smaller engine so the car can be more compact?

not being a mechanic - whats the deal with making 1ltre engines with 3cylinders rather than 4 is it more economical for the cars if they have 3 cylinders or is it more economical for the manufacturer because they only have to make an engine with 3 pistons etc or is it just to make smaller engine so the car can be more compact?

3 big cylinders is usually more powerful and efficient than 4 smaller ones. They tend to be more torquey too.
    They're obviously cheaper to build and take up less room as you say. They can often share most if the moving parts with a 4 cylinder equivalent. Example being the 1.2 TDI, It shares most of its bits with the 1.6 TDI, Just missing one cylinder.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    3 big cylinders is usually more powerful and efficient than 4 smaller ones. They tend to be more torquey too.
    They're obviously cheaper to build and take up less room as you say. They can often share most if the moving parts with a 4 cylinder equivalent. Example being the 1.2 TDI, It shares most of its bits with the 1.6 TDI, Just missing one cylinder.

thanks, thats made it more explainable - are their many other like me? when I have been in 3 cylinder cars they are very 'chuggy' / vibrating when idling and not smooth. I have mentioned this to others and they cant hear it or feel it themselves or it just doesnt bother them like it would me.

If i were sitting at traffic lights waiting for them to change or if I was waiting for someone with engine running that vibration / chuggy idling would really get to me. In fact i had a old Opel Corsa and I liked that but in the end I had to get rid of it because of how it was when it idled - it did drive me up the wall. I then got a year 2000 1.0ltr MPi Seat Ibiza (4 cylinder) and that was lovely and smooth when it idled - had a VW engine in it

Right good on petrol too - surprising seeing as it had a large'ish body

The 3 cylinder VW petrol engines are smooth enough, but the Toyota one sounds like a lawnmower.

thanks, thats made it more explainable - are their many other like me? when I have been in 3 cylinder cars they are very 'chuggy' / vibrating when idling and not smooth. I have mentioned this to others and they cant hear it or feel it themselves or it just doesnt bother them like it would me.

If i were sitting at traffic lights waiting for them to change or if I was waiting for someone with engine running that vibration / chuggy idling would really get to me. In fact i had a old Opel Corsa and I liked that but in the end I had to get rid of it because of how it was when it idled - it did drive me up the wall. I then got a year 2000 1.0ltr MPi Seat Ibiza (4 cylinder) and that was lovely and smooth when it idled - had a VW engine in it

Right good on petrol too - surprising seeing as it had a large'ish body

No, it's not just you.
    I don't like 3 cylinder engines either.
    Exactly same reasons as yours.

4 cylinder is much better, but imagine how happy you'd have to be with V6 or V8 :)

and look at the price of these nice shiney 1ltr's now around 20grand .. I remember buying a nice brand new Punto 1.1 (yes I know dont laugh) back in the early naughties for around 12grand thats decent enough for a small car ... oh yeah it had 4 cylinders (luckily didnt get the blown head gasket fault :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you like the Punto then maybe look at the Panda:

media?xwm=y&id=f2b3a7c8-59f7-458a-bcea-01ce471fbd1b&width=400&height=300

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Fiat/Panda/POP-1.2/7259537781307312716/

It'll have the same engine as your mk2 Punto!

• Advertisement

Panda 4 cylinder indeed, but not up to 1 litre.

Yep, that one is 1.2(5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Know someone bought an Audi A3 1 ltr. They love it.

Skoda Octavia has the same engine as far as I know

Yep, and Kia have one in the ceed now too.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It'll have the same engine as your mk2 Punto!

well, mine was mk1 :) maybe it was a 99 punto I had - didnt like the re-designed shape of the mk2

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you like the Punto then maybe look at the Panda:

media?xwm=y&id=f2b3a7c8-59f7-458a-bcea-01ce471fbd1b&width=400&height=300

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Fiat/Panda/POP-1.2/7259537781307312716/

horrible front - so large and bulky (or bulbous as I call it)

well, mine was mk1 :) maybe it was a 99 punto I had - didnt like the re-designed shape of the mk2

You could get the old 1.1 engine up till fairly recently in the Panda too.

anewme wrote: »
    Know someone bought an Audi A3 1 ltr. They love it. ...

the size of it - be a nightmare to park :)

are there no more neat little cars around now with a 1ltr - something that's easy to park in tight spaces ? - why are they all so .... er huge!

the wife has a 2004 Getz - thats lovely to drive and park but even thats got a 1.2 or 1.3 engine in it i think

Getz is normally 1.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭anewme

the size of it - be a nightmare to park :)

are there no more neat little cars around now with a 1ltr - something that's easy to park in tight spaces ? - why are they all so .... er huge!

the wife has a 2004 Getz - thats lovely to drive and park but even thats got a 1.2 or 1.3 engine in it i think

A3 is not :confused:huge

Advertisement