Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1ltr cars available in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I am not sure what the obsession with engine size is?

Tax - 90% of cars here now must be less than 280e to tax for a year?

Insurance - Unless you are 17 I doubt they care about engine size. Considering VAG make 1l TSI engines now that are ~110bhp, engine size is less relevant than ever. Power output might be something to concentrate on if you re concerned about insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So is the consensus of this thread, that there aren't any 1 litre or below engined cars with 4 cylinders for sale at the moment anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The A3 engine is 115 bhp so nippy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

anewme wrote: »
    A3 is not :confused:huge

yes it does look nice ... at 29grand though I am well out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

yes it does look nice ... at 29grand though I am well out!!

Octavia better value with same engine then!

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    So is the consensus of this thread, that there aren't any 1 litre or below engined cars with 4 cylinders for sale at the moment anymore?

well I should have made a list because I am confused now :)

So I still dont know what 1ltr cars are out there with 4cylinder engine - small size car, around 12grand - I dont think there is a lot available if anything

well I should have made a list because I am confused now :)

So I still dont know what 1ltr cars are out there with 4cylinder engine - small size car, around 12grand - I dont think there is a lot available if anything

Skoda fabia?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mloc123 wrote: »
    Skoda fabia?

They're 3 cylinder...

mloc123 wrote: »
    I am not sure what the obsession with engine size is?

Tax - 90% of cars here now must be less than 280e to tax for a year?

Insurance - Unless you are 17 I doubt they care about engine size. Considering VAG make 1l TSI engines now that are ~110bhp, engine size is less relevant than ever. Power output might be something to concentrate on if you re concerned about insurance.

280eur a year tax is 100eur dearer than what I would want to pay for a runaround - so a1 or a2 band with 4cylinder engine around 12grand

- I dont think it can be got , unless I am missing something

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're 3 cylinder...

So they are, need to go for the 1.2 for 4 cylinder

• Advertisement

Yep, the 1.2 TSI is 4 cyl

not so long ago you could get a corsa in 1ltr (yep I know it was 3cyl)

A Nissan Micra 1ltr 4cyl (dont think the new ones are 1ltr any more?)

opel agila - dont think they are available

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

not so long ago you could get a corsa in 1ltr (yep I know it was 3cyl)

A Nissan Micra 1ltr 4cyl (dont think the new ones are 1ltr any more?)

opel agila - dont think they are available

The corsa was 3cylinder and a pure dog of a thing

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The corsa was 3cylinder and a pure dog of a thing

there was supposed to be a 12v corsa 1ltre wasnt there? - that was supposed to be a good one my 99corsa 1ltr was 3cyl what would that have been? liked it apart from lumpy idle, sounded like an old diesel motor when it was idling

3 cylinders, 4 valves per cylinder = 12 valve

VW did a 6 valve version of their 1.2 engine

there was supposed to be a 12v corsa 1ltre wasnt there? - that was supposed to be a good one my 99corsa 1ltr was 3cyl what would that have been? liked it apart from lumpy idle, sounded like an old diesel motor when it was idling

The corsa had a terrible one liter 3 cylinder unit, especially on the earlier cars. You would often see cracked exhausts on them due to the vibration.

Diahatsu made some of the best 3 cylinder engines imo. The likes of the mk1 sirion had a brilliant 3 cylinder unit, it was lively, extreamly economical, very reliable and refined enough for a 3 cylinder unit of it's era.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

280eur a year tax is 100eur dearer than what I would want to pay for a runaround - so a1 or a2 band with 4cylinder engine around 12grand

€100 per year extra is peanuts compared to the €12,000 your initially spending though. Seems like an expensive run around.

ice.cube wrote: »
    €100 per year extra is peanuts compared to the €12,000 your initially spending though. Seems like an expensive run around.

granted and accepted - i know what you mean

If you want a runaround you should buy a late mk1 yaris on the cc system. It's €199 per year to tax, has an excellent 1 liter 4 cylinder vvti engine, is cheap to run and you won't have to spend €12k to buy one.

If you really need €200 tax and must part ways with €12k you might get a nearly new ford ka+ for your budget.

If it was me though id go with option 1 or else spend €12k on something much nicer and spend the extra €100 euro on tax. Or else go for a hybrid

3 cylinders, 4 valves per cylinder = 12 valve

VW did a 6 valve version of their 1.2 engine

ah right - maybe it was a 16v 4cyl 1.ltr corsa that was supposed to be good i was thinking of - if they made them?, Im pretty sure I heard they did .. or would it have been 1.2 ?

• Advertisement

Yeah there would have been a 1.2 16v corsa alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Get a 1.5 naturally aspirated 4 cylinder Mazda 2. Cracking engine but you need the 90hp version rather than the 75hp. 0-60 in 9.4 which is nippy enough. No turbo lag and they love to be revved.

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Get a 1.5 naturally aspirated 4 cylinder Mazda 2. Cracking engine but you need the 90hp version rather than the 75hp. 0-60 in 9.4 which is nippy enough. No turbo lag and they love to be revved.

75bhp from a 1.5 in this day and age is shocking, even 90bhp is poor enough.

Yeah there would have been a 1.2 16v corsa alright.

but never a 1.0 ltr 16v?

If you want a runaround you should buy a late mk1 yaris on the cc system. It's €199 per year to tax, has an excellent 1 liter 4 cylinder vvti engine, is cheap to run and you won't have to spend €12k to buy one.

are you talking 2005 then? - thats quite old now - just thinking about insurance places not wanting to insure old motors now

are you talking 2005 then? - thats quite old now - just thinking about insurance places not wanting to insure old motors now

Ya 2005. You will still be able to insure one. A good example should last you years.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

75bhp from a 1.5 in this day and age is shocking, even 90bhp is poor enough.
    Nearly all small engined cars are turbo now. Mazda took a different approach.

For example the Fiesta's that are quicker to 60 than a 90hp mazda 2 are 125hp and above. 0-60 the 125hp is only .03 quicker. Speed isn't all that matters though, the mazda 1.5 feels great to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get a Kei Car. Some lovely ones available but not as cool as the mid to late 90's
    subaru-vivio-t-top-1.jpg?w=1000&h=
    The Honda S660 would be my choice given a free hand.
    Honda-Mugen-Tokyo-Auto-Salon-20163-850x495.jpg
    https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/honda/s660/20316653/

Ya 2005. You will still be able to insure one. A good example should last you years.

get jittery about NCT on a car now 10 years or over even though there are still some nice cars of this vintage and older out there

• Advertisement

get jittery about NCT on a car now 10 years or over even though there are still some nice cars of this vintage and older out there

Nct is a very small issue. It's not as big of a deal(to pass) as people think. The yaris is a pretty straightforward car anyway and is usually very easy to maintain.

Advertisement