Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1ltr cars available in Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Punto looks OK at 13,750eur but then its got 1.2l 126g/km emmision so then thats blooming 270eur tax a year - why couldnt they have put a 1ltr mpi into a punto, im sure they could have done.

Panda, (but was never a fan of them, I liked the punto better) 12.945eur even that has a 1.2l now but 95g/km so thats better tax at 180annual -

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Nct is a very small issue. It's not as big of a deal(to pass) as people think. The yaris is a pretty straightforward car anyway and is usually very easy to maintain.

yeah I quite like the look of the Mk1 Yaris really, looks OK ... well the 4door one looks nice, I dont like the look of the 2door ones much - but then never been a fan of 2 door cars, normally the front 2 doors are heavy and there's normally no rear windows to open on a 2 door car and sometimes I like to load something into and out of the back seats or have back seat passengers where they can get in and out of car without disturbing front seat passengers - plus I think 5 door cars are safer in accident for people to get out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I have a 1 litre 3 cyclinder 100bhp fiesta, like a go kart, good craic to drive, not too bad on the eye either, 180 a year on tax and up to 50 real world mpg. Cheap as chips as far as cars go. I'd recommend them to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

What about a 0ltr 0 cylinder, 120/year tax Renault Zoe? Bring in 2nd hand fairly cheap. Very smooth, nippy, easy to park and cost almost nothing to run it.
    Other than that a Yaris hybrid or similar. I'd stay away from any of these modern 1ltr turbo's

s.welstead wrote: »
    What about a 0ltr 0 cylinder, 120/year tax Renault Zoe? Bring in 2nd hand fairly cheap. Very smooth, nippy, easy to park and cost almost nothing to run it.

TESLA would be even nicer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

Punto looks OK at 13,750eur but then its got 1.2l 126g/km emmision so then thats blooming 270eur tax a year - why couldnt they have put a 1ltr mpi into a punto, im sure they could have done.

Panda, (but was never a fan of them, I liked the punto better) 12.945eur even that has a 1.2l now but 95g/km so thats better tax at 180annual -

How can you think of spending that kind of money and at the same time be put out by a €90 difference in motor tax? I am genuinely baffled. Depreciation would be by far the biggest cost.

You are wiping out a huge number of potential cars by limiting yourself to your own particular set of criteria.

No offence, just genuinely curious?

ice.cube wrote:
    How can you think of spending that kind of money and at the same time be put out by a €90 difference in motor tax? I am genuinely baffled. Depreciation would be by far the biggest cost.

You are wiping out a huge number of potential cars by limiting yourself to your own particular set of criteria.

No offence, just genuinely curious?

Just working on budgets, trying to save money wherever and whenever. Taking everything into account

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Are 3 cylinder engines, particularly with higher mileage, more prone to failure due to lack of compression?

I see mentioned on another boards thread the SEAT Mii being mentioned 1.0L 75hp 102g/km 190eur annual tax (3-cylinder shame ) 2door at only 10,620eur which is good price and 11,215 for 5 door - I wonder what the engines in these are like if they are smooth especially when idling ... anyone got one or test driven one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I see mentioned on another boards thread the SEAT Mii being mentioned 1.0L 75hp 102g/km 190eur annual tax (3-cylinder shame ) 2door at only 10,620eur which is good price and 11,215 for 5 door - I wonder what the engines in these are like if they are smooth especially when idling ... anyone got one or test driven one?

Had one last year as a rental.
    You won't like it - lot's of vibration at idle, and typical 3 cylinder sound.
    Also car had 50k km, and sounds from engine and gearbox were frightening.
    I know rentals don't have easy life, but still...

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Had one last year as a rental.
    You won't like it - lot's of vibration at idle, and typical 3 cylinder sound.
    Also car had 50k km, and sounds from engine and gearbox were frightening.
    I know rentals don't have easy life, but still...

oh right thanks, I thought someone said on here the VW 3 cylinders were the best ones and I was presuming a VW engine put in the Mii

Ah well the only other one in the price range is a Dacia Sandero - they do it in 1ltr but I cannot find out if 3 or 4 cylinder , I suppose seeing as all these manufacturers are going over to 3cyl for smaller engines thats what it will be. Have emailed them anyway to ask. - The Sandero is around 10grand and it looks like 5 door model as standard, looks on the big size in the pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

oh right thanks, I thought someone said on here the VW 3 cylinders were the best ones and I was presuming a VW engine put in the Mii

Ah well the only other one in the price range is a Dacia Sandero - they do it in 1ltr but I cannot find out if 3 or 4 cylinder , I suppose seeing as all these manufacturers are going over to 3cyl for smaller engines thats what it will be. Have emailed them anyway to ask. - The Sandero is around 10grand and it looks like 5 door model as standard, looks on the big size in the pictures

Sandero 0.9 engine is 3 cylinder turbo.
    They also have simple 1.2 non-turbo which is the cheapest.

Sandero is fairly small, but not as tiny as Mii, Citigo, Up, 107, C1, Aygo, etc...

Looks like you won't find 1 litre 4 cylinder car.

However I still struggle to understand your reasons for 1 litre engine and refusing the likes of 1.2 etc...

As motortax is not based on engine size, and insurance is probably the same for 1.0 and 1.2, I really can't find a reason.

CiniO wrote: »
    Sandero 0.9 engine is 3 cylinder turbo.
    They also have simple 1.2 non-turbo which is the cheapest.

Sandero is fairly small, but not as tiny as Mii, Citigo, Up, 107, C1, Aygo, etc...

Looks like you won't find 1 litre 4 cylinder car.

However I still struggle to understand your reasons for 1 litre engine and refusing the likes of 1.2 etc...

As motortax is not based on engine size, and insurance is probably the same for 1.0 and 1.2, I really can't find a reason.

Thanks for the info - no, of course I will look into 1.2 as well - be nice if I dont have to pay over 190eur a year for tax . - 1ltr used to be much more economical than 1.2 years ago, but I suppose with modern engines these days its not so much an issue now these days. I know at one time I had a 1ltr corsa and my wifes car was the punto 1.2 and my corsa used a lot less petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's one of the smoothest 3 cylinders and is night and day comparing it with the Toyota unit. But it's still not as smooth as a 4 banger. It's surprisingly punchy for its size. I had one in a Fabia estate last year and it wasn't dreadful by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's one of the smoothest 3 cylinders and is night and day comparing it with the Toyota unit. But it's still not as smooth as a 4 banger. It's surprisingly punchy for its size. I had one in a Fabia estate last year and it wasn't dreadful by any stretch.

Is it more reliable than the early vw 1.2 tsi? Any tendency to use oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

oscar2 wrote: »
    Is it more reliable than the early vw 1.2 tsi? Any tendency to use oil?

The one I drove was non turbo, so I guess it would be more reliable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The VW Polo with the basic 1.2 3cyl 70bhp is a very good car indeed. The engine feels perfectly matched to the car and is in no way raucous sounding. Quite economical, also.

Advertisement