Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk from Oughterard to Leenane. Advice please??

Options
  • 27-02-2017 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Myself and my OH spent a few days hiking in Connemara recently and decided we would like to take on a more "challenging" 2-3 day hike. Have any of ye good folk walked this route through the Maamturks? If so, where did ye stay? How strenuous was it? (We're relative novices but can manage 5-6 hrs walking a day...) Any other recommendations? (We're thinking March/April would be a good time...). Any advice welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

I worked in the area last year. I haven't walked the full length but I did used to cycle on my Mountain bike about 40km of the western way nearly every second night I was there and I can tell you that you are in for a treat. (20km each way) I used to start at Ashleagh falls and work my way back. The section I used to do was relatively flat as it passes through the bottom of the Inagh valley.
    I just looked up the walk now and you are doing the full length yes? It says that it's 5 hundred and something meters in height but that's over the full length and it's really not that much. If you are used to doing 5 or 6 hour hikes you should be fine.
    Also I'd recommend the Connemara hostel just outside Leenane.
    I'd really love to go back there this year and do it one more time. Enjoy.

I have this on my desk and the Oughterard to Leenane sections total 56km with 830m gain/ascent.

I've no connection with the company other than they used a photo I took of the Maamturks in the publication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

hi how long is The section from Leenane to Maum Bridge ? and is this the most scenic section ? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

can't post direct link as am a new user

irishtrails.ie/Trail/Western-Way---Galway/37/

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    hi how long is The section from Leenane to Maum Bridge ? and is this the most scenic section ? thanks

About 30km with 600m.

I haven't done the Way but if you're meandering through the Turks, passing Lough Inagh and looking across at the Bens on a nice day, your eyes will be sore from the beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I did it with my OH paddys weekend a few years ago, we actually turned of for letterfrack so we could get the bus back to the start.

We Camped along the way. You will find places easily enough. We Camped up by the top of Lough Corrib the First night and just over Maam the second night. It was a little cold the second night as temperatures dropped a small bit but if you bring enough gear you'll be fine. It's a lovely hike to do

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laguacamaya

Thanks for advice folks (and inspiration). Have just one more specific query...Any suggestions where to stay the first night, presumably around Maam. (Preferably a b&b/hostel)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Thanks for advice folks (and inspiration). Have just one more specific query...Any suggestions where to stay the first night, presumably around Maam. (Preferably a b&b/hostel)

I'm sure there's a hotel at ma'am cross, used to pass it when I would be coming home once a week. Can't remember the name of the place but a Google might help you. There's probably other hostels and band b's but I wouldn't know them.

Cong where the quiet man was filmed would be another option to stay...45min from outherard though but very scenic.

NUIG Mountaineering Club have a list of accommodation in the general area on their website for the folk that do the Maamturks Challenge.

Just use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a hotel at ma'am cross, used to pass it when I would be coming home once a week. Can't remember the name of the place but a Google might help you. There's probably other hostels and band b's but I wouldn't know them.

Cong where the quiet man was filmed would be another option to stay...45min from outherard though but very scenic.

There is indeed. http://www.peacockes.ie

I was in Cong last weekend. There's a few B+B's and two hotels in the village.

• Advertisement
Advertisement