Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build costs 2017: Contractor v direct labour

Options
  • 27-02-2017 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all, hope I am posting this in the right place. House is currently up for sale, and am now toying with the idea of building instead of buying a fixer upper (In the cork county areay). Has anyone any advice on what it would cost to build a 1200-1400square foot bungalow, nicely finished. I would also have to buy the site and seeing as I am doing it on my own, am not sure if this is a huge undertaking financially. The cost of the build is one thing, but am also aware of the hidden costs etc, so trying to get my head around wether it’s a viable option, or should I just stick to the fixer upper idea.

Also would like to hear your views doing the build through direct labour? My dad is a retired carpenter with an in depth knowledge of building, so is a huge asset in terms of managing the project and know what needs to be done , so would direct labour be the way to go then?
    My brother is qualified to do the plans for me and submit for planning, so another cost avoided.
    Would love to hear peoples opinions, or own experiences and figures. Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If you brother can do the plans ask him about 'zoning' and the likelihood of building in cork county. (Useless you're fortunate enough to buy inside a village boundary)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cmc2015

Thanks for the reply Bryan. My brother has been based in Oz the last 7 odd years so Id say unfamilar with whats going on back here, he is just my drawer :D:D The site I was looking at is slam bang in the middle of a village so I'd say it would be ok on that front, and apparently there was planning on it for a house at some stage...

Advertisement