Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best router for HA

• 27-02-2017 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im at a point where I need to geet a new router (cable router, not modem router), so am looking for some suggestions on either a specific router, or specific functions. I think what I need is as follows

1) Cable router
    2) Sourceable in EU/UK/IRL, although I might stretch to getting one from the us.
    3) Under 200 euro
    4) IFTTT compatible
    5) Possible for flexibility/functionality, something that is openwrt compatible ?

Help/advice appreciated.
    Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

When you say you want a "Cable router", I assume you mean you want a router that will work with UPC/Virgin Media.

You can't get a router with DOCSIS built in, Virgin don't allow it. You can only use their modems and routers with their service.

However what you can do is turn is trun the Virgin router into "Modem only mode" and connect any router to it.

You SHOULD NOT buy a router from the US. Unless you can put it into an EU mode, it would be illegally operating at US frequencies, rather then EU frequencies. You could end up with Comreg knocking on your door. Also it can cause issues operating with EU client devices.

I know of only one router with IFTTT support and that is Google Wifi, however that is only available in the US and thus falls under the above point, so I would strongly recommend against it.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there is really much benefit to using IFTTT with a router, what do you want to do with it? It might be possible to come up with an alternative.

So anyway, your best bet is a good quality AC1900 router.

Here are two good models worth considering:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Wireless-Access-Points/ASUS-AC1900-Gigabit-Router-Server-Dongle-Support/B00FB45SI4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1488216672&sr=8-6&keywords=ac1900
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Connections-UK-Archer-VR900/dp/B01132GCP0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1488216672&sr=8-5&keywords=ac1900

As an aside, wow, those prices have jumped massively since Christmas!!! I assume Brexit pricing!

Might be worth checking them on amazon.de, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

bk wrote: »
    When you say you want a "Cable router", I assume you mean you want a router that will work with UPC/Virgin Media.

You can't get a router with DOCSIS built in, Virgin don't allow it. You can only use their modems and routers with their service.

However what you can do is turn is trun the Virgin router into "Modem only mode" and connect any router to it.

You SHOULD NOT buy a router from the US. Unless you can put it into an EU mode, it would be illegally operating at US frequencies, rather then EU frequencies. You could end up with Comreg knocking on your door. Also it can cause issues operating with EU client devices.

I know of only one router with IFTTT support and that is Google Wifi, however that is only available in the US and thus falls under the above point, so I would strongly recommend against it.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there is really much benefit to using IFTTT with a router, what do you want to do with it? It might be possible to come up with an alternative.

So anyway, your best bet is a good quality AC1900 router.

Here are two good models worth considering:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Wireless-Access-Points/ASUS-AC1900-Gigabit-Router-Server-Dongle-Support/B00FB45SI4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1488216672&sr=8-6&keywords=ac1900
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Connections-UK-Archer-VR900/dp/B01132GCP0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1488216672&sr=8-5&keywords=ac1900

As an aside, wow, those prices have jumped massively since Christmas!!! I assume Brexit pricing!

Might be worth checking them on amazon.de, etc.

Hi bk,

Thanks for the reply. By cable router I mean a router without a dsl modem, but with a wan port instead. I use fixed wireless BB as I am in a rural area, so my BB provider gives me an Ethernet interface.

Ifttt, I would like to build in some functionality around occupation of the house, so for example if any mobile devices connect, then house is occupied, and if not, house is in away mode. I can link my security system up this way and get lots of interesting scenarios up and running this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have a tplink ac2600 super easy to setup lots of options on it and a handy mobile app to control it .

I would recommend it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks for the reply. By cable router I mean a router without a dsl modem, but with a wan port instead. I use fixed wireless BB as I am in a rural area, so my BB provider gives me an Ethernet interface.

Gotcha, just FYI, a cable router means a router which also has a DOCSIS cable modem built in. What you are looking for is just a router. The two I linked too above are exactly what you are looking for.

Ifttt, I would like to build in some functionality around occupation of the house, so for example if any mobile devices connect, then house is occupied, and if not, house is in away mode. I can link my security system up this way and get lots of interesting scenarios up and running this way.

Got you, Google Wifi is the only router I know of that has IFTTT, but I wouldn't recommend importing it for the above reasons. However I believe you can install the same effect using the IFTTT app on each phone and GPS geofencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:

I use it for one thing. When the Ring doorbell detects motion , I use IFTTT to prioritize wifi to it.
    It helps , if a button to launch it too. Helps for live view

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    I use it for one thing. When the Ring doorbell detects motion , I use IFTTT to prioritize wifi to it.
    It helps , if a button to launch it too. Helps for live view

Yeah, it is an interesting use, but to be honest if I was having issues with bandwidth, I'd focus more on improving wifi performance in general to fix it then using IFTTT as a workaround. Maybe a nice Ubiquite Access Point or two :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

bk wrote: »
    Yeah, it is an interesting use, but to be honest if I was having issues with bandwidth, I'd focus more on improving wifi performance in general to fix it then using IFTTT as a workaround. Maybe a nice Ubiquite Access Point or two :D

Hi bk,

Saw your posts in another thread about the ubiquiti ceiling mount ap, I think that's probably the way to go for me, and router along with it.

Based in that, any recommendations on a router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    Yeah, it is an interesting use, but to be honest if I was having issues with bandwidth, I'd focus more on improving wifi performance in general to fix it then using IFTTT as a workaround. Maybe a nice Ubiquite Access Point or two

I have them in work. The wifi and bandwidth are fine the request just seems to wake the ring up

Hi bk,

Saw your posts in another thread about the ubiquiti ceiling mount ap, I think that's probably the way to go for me, and router along with it.

Based in that, any recommendations on a router?

Well if you want to save a little money, at least to start, you could just reuse an existing router you might have, just disable the wifi.

If you want a dedicated router, then the Mikrotik hEX gets very good review in the below article, though it would be a very techy option, command line interface, the complete opposite of something like Google Wifi:

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/09/diy-homebrew-router-speed-testing/

Also good review of the Ubiquiti gear here:

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/05/ubiquiti-unifi-review-pro-wi-fi-router/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I use Ubiquiti UniFi. Gateway, switch, Cloud key controller and APs. Been using Ubiquti for 10+ years now.
    I have a five AP / four switch setup in my place in Tipp and a three AP / five switch install in my place in Portlaoise.

Gateway:

https://www.irishwireless.net/usg?search=UniFi%20Security%20Gateway

I have it mounted up on the wall in hallway so the status LED is easily visible.

• Advertisement

Thinking about it, I'd start off slow and build up if you can.

I'd use my existing router and buy just one AC Pro, just to try it out, see if you are happy with it and also test the performance. You might even find that one AC Pro is all you need to cover your house, they are quiet powerful, more so then most consumer routers.

Then add a second or third one if you need to.

Eventually I'd also add a dedicated router, like the Mikrotik mentioned above or Ubiquiti's own routers as cros13 mentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

The one pain in the ass with the ubiquiti security gateway for home use right now is you have to manually edit the config to turn on UPNP.

A workaround for the OPs devices triggering actions use case is to have a watch service looking for the MAC address of the device to either show up talking to the gateway (using a mirror port) or showing up connecting in SNMP traps from the APs/controller.

I'm working on another option using iBeacons/Eddystone to do internal navigation inside the house. I'm probably going to start that this evening as my estimote beacons arrived while I was typing this post.

Anyway, I concur. OP should start with one AP and work from there.

Advertisement