Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it even possible???

• 27-02-2017 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm 18 years old and still in school (doing LC this summer). Now everyone around me is all getting set to go to college but I am not pushed on going at this moment in time. I would love to go abroad on a work holiday preferable Aus or NZ for a few months and then back home to work for the remaining months and then start college. Essentially a gap year working abroad and here. I have about 6 months work experience is a supermarket and will be working another 2 months this summer. I am wondering how hard would it be to get a job? And will the cost of living far outweigh any money I earn? (would be able to work 50-60 hour weeks). I feel my lack of experience and age might go against me but sure hope I'm wrong!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you avoid the major cities you could get on ok. Rents wouldn't be as bad and perhaps less competition for jobs.

Depends on what you are willing to work at too. Working in the service trade is always a good option as you will meet lots of people and get contacts for other jobs and pals to travel with.

Farm work can be plentiful but could be a lonely experience. It can also be very hot depending on your location so working outdoors may not suit.

Don't go out with the assumption that you will save lots of money as you won't.

At 18 you are young to be heading off on such a trip unless you are used of travelling on your own.

What type of work would you be hoping to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Albert89009

If you avoid the major cities you could get on ok. Rents wouldn't be as bad and perhaps less competition for jobs.

Depends on what you are willing to work at too. Working in the service trade is always a good option as you will meet lots of people and get contacts for other jobs and pals to travel with.

Farm work can be plentiful but could be a lonely experience. It can also be very hot depending on your location so working outdoors may not suit.

Don't go out with the assumption that you will save lots of money as you won't.

At 18 you are young to be heading off on such a trip unless you are used of travelling on your own.

What type of work would you be hoping to do?

I suppose any type of work is ok with me but I would prefer indoor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Note that you can only get one Working Holiday Visa for Australia. It lasts 12 months, and can in some circumstances be extended to 24 months, but once you've had your one visa, that's it. You should think carefully about whether you want to blow it on a trip that would only last "a few months".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Note that you can only get one Working Holiday Visa for Australia. It lasts 12 months, and can in some circumstances be extended to 24 months, but once you've had your one visa, that's it. You should think carefully about whether you want to blow it on a trip that would only last "a few months".

Yes ive a friend who used his one summer during college. Regretted it massively when we graduated in the middle of the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Don't blow a working holiday visa in Aus for just a few months in the sun when you can go work in a hotel in Spain without restriction and have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Note that you can only get one Working Holiday Visa for Australia.  It lasts 12 months, and can in some circumstances be extended to 24 months, but once you've had your one visa, that's it.  You should think carefully about whether you want to blow it on a trip that would only last "a few months".
    This isn't really true. Once you do your 90 days of regional work you're eligible to apply for a second year which you don't have to do consecutively. I know people who returned for their second stint years later.

Yeah was planning 6 months, I mean I'm going to have to use it at some time. And troyzer is that true? would you have a link to this information, thanks

English speaking country would be far more ideal as I have no other foreign language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

To be entitled to a 2nd year WHV, you need to do 88 days work in a regional area that is in an approved post code to be classed as as a regional area. This list can be found online here

http://www.australiaherewecome.com.au/working-holiday-visa-regional-postcodes/

There are exceptions to the work that will not count towards regional work, such as working in a bar, cafe etc.

There are exceptions to the postcode rule to, if you work in oil, gas or mining.

Once you do your 88 days, you are eligible to apply for a 2nd year WHV that you don't have to use right away and can start your 2WHV up until the day before your 31st birthday (so you are still 30 years old at most).

You don't have to do all your 88 days regional work in one place or at the one time. You can do several days here and there, once the employer can sign off on your days and its in the applicable regional post code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Are you used to working? Or dealing with ****? Or being on your own? Don't go to the other side of the world unless you're 100% sure. Australia and New Zealand can be unforgiving for inexperienced people..

Thats a very negative response. You may have have a poor experience here but for the majority of people that do come over its a positive.

There might be times when the work is hard and you feel homesick or lonely. You might meet some people you don't like but thats going to happen anywhere. It's par for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement