Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancake Tuesday

Options
  • 27-02-2017 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Its pancake tuesday tomorrow night and indeed pancake week for a few days after even.

Anyone any ideas on what to add as fillings to their pancakes ? Something that isn't sugar coated preferably.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was thinking earlier how I never see duck being promoted on pancake tuesday, though Chinese places sell aromatic duck with pancakes (which I know are more like wraps, but if I owned a Chinese takeaway I'd be cashing in!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I make a point of not having pancakes on pancake Tuesday.

Last Friday, however, I made a savoury pancake for himself.
    - Plenty of butter in pan
    - Pour pancake and swirl
    - Start frying an egg
    - Flip pancake once cooked on once side.
    - Cover in a "light" layer of garlic and peppercorn butter
    - add a handful of grated cheese
    - top with fried egg and plenty of pepper.

Other fillings have included baby potatoes, ham, more cheese, pesto, cheese, chicken, did i mention cheese? Just put whatever would go nice in a toastie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bacon! :D

Actually prunes and/or stewed apple should work quite well. Might well have that tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not really keen on pancakes and the meaning has gone out of it, and only traditional i at all; sugar and lemon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Busy tonight so we had ours for breakfast (made last night and nuked this morning). Couldn't find fresh strawberries so bought tinned. Went very well with the creamy chocolate sauce I made. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like crispy bacon and maple syrup on mine - or else butter, sugar and lemon juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think I'm going to try wholewheat ones later. With whatever I can find in the fridge.

We always used to have savoury ones growing up...chicken, bacon and mushroom sauce. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I fill them with mushrooms fried with garlic, spring onions and parsley, roll them up, place them in an oven-proof dish, cover them with a bit of cottage cheese and bake until the cottage cheese goes a bit brown.

I also make sure to make enough to have some left over. Those get cut into ribbons and heated up in some clear vegetable broth - Fritatensuppe

6972471015_f268b2b7e9_b.jpg

For sweet pancakes, I do the traditional thing - cover them in jam and roll them up.
    Yes, traditions vary. People at home would declare me insane if I asked for lemon and sugar on pancakes.

mehlspeisen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ah, Shenshen - memories of Fritatensuppe! Lecker!

• Advertisement

Oddly enough, I like it best if the pancakes have been allowed to not only cool but dry out a bit before being added to the broth :)

I'll be working till midnight today, but I'm definitely going to make some tomorrow now :D

Every year I forget how much I like pancakes and then I end up making them regularly for a month or so and then stop until next pancake day :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

My mother asked me to make 'a few' pancakes for dinner last night, so I mixed up a batch from an old Mrs. Beeton recipe - (1/2 lb flour, pint of milk, 2 eggs, pinch salt) I thought that was plenty, but she just looked at the jugful and said, all puzzled-like, "Is that enough?" So I mixed up a second batch since it only takes 5 minutes.

As of this morning, we're down to about 1/4 of the batch.

Woman dearly loves her pancakes...

(To be fair she's not the only one eating them but everyone else just eats a couple, she's a pancake-eating machine :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My, admittedly vague, memory of it is that the pancake used is a bit "eggier" than a normal one, or am I imagining things?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Actually, I've had Flädlisuppe (as it is known in Der Schweiz) with both eggier & flourier - bordering on pasta - noodles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭REM76

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not really keen on pancakes and the meaning has gone out of it, and only traditional i at all; sugar and lemon...

Totally agree Grace. I only know it as Shrove Tuesday. I always instill the meaning of these days in my young children, they love the meaning of Shrove Tuesday and have no end of fun making up their pancakes from what we've got in our cupboards.

I think it's very important to raise your children away from the shallow spectre of advertising and consumerism, although we are in a minority now for sure, sadly. But, we are not yet alone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

REM76 wrote: »

I think it's very important to raise your children away from the shallow spectre of advertising and consumerism, although we are in a minority now for sure, sadly. But, we are not yet alone :)

Advertising was the only reason I realised it was Pancake day! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Okonomiyake ftw

Malari wrote: »
    Advertising was the only reason I realised it was Pancake day! :P

They were advertising it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shenshen wrote: »

Nutella extensively so.

Did some extra eggy chorizo and shallot ones - bordering on omelettes with flour I guess - as dinner and normal ones for desert

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

spinach riccotta and bacon with parmeson yum and grated chocolot rasberry and roasted banana

Shenshen wrote: »

Yeah, on banners over a load of pancake fixings in several supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Morgane

Does anyone else fancy yummy banana pancakes ? 1 banana - 2 eggs and you good to go !

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Morgane wrote: »
    Does anyone else fancy yummy banana pancakes ? 1 banana - 2 eggs and you good to go !

I refuse to accept that that's a pancake. It's a banana omelette!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I had pancake Tuesday on Wednesday and it was thoroughly underwhelming - funny thing is I might do it again today - I've got the taste for them (and yes I know that is completely against the pious spirit of the whole thing)

Advertisement