Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic Ksyrium Elite S Wheelset

Options
  • 27-02-2017 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I have a Mavic Ksyrium Elite S Wheelset approximately 4 years old.

I am looking at replacing the rims on the front (18 spoke) and rear (20 spoke) but am finding it nearly impossible to source them.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Cheers

SF

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You'd be nearly better off buying whole new wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Weepsie wrote: »
    You'd be nearly better off buying whole new wheels

+1. Typically factory wheels like that are not economical to repair/rejuvenate in that manner. Not sure Mavic actually retail the rims, though I do know someone who has had a rear cosmic rebuilt several times under warranty, so spares can be gotten. By the time you buy the rims and spokes and try to get it built up it will likely not be much cheaper, and you'll have no recourse should you encounter costly failure of the hub down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I am looking at replacing the rims on the front (18 spoke) and rear (20 spoke) but am finding it nearly impossible to source them.

Cheers

SF

Out of interest... how many KMs on the wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Out of interest... how many KMs on the wheels?

oh, really hard to say, but at least 20K.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

That one reason i bought these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vision-trimax-30-road-wheelset-2016/rp-prod137638?gclid=CJWn8Zias9ICFei37QodxmoPeg&gclsrc=aw.ds

As good if not better wheelset with standard Sapim spokes.

good luck with the search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

oh, really hard to say, but at least 20K.

Thanks for coming back to me!

That quite a lot of KMs and not sure what you would have paid for them, but on rough costings that's a very low cent per KM ratio, I'd imagine.

If I get 20K out of my set I'll gladly bin them with no regrets!

Sometime you have to look at it that way :)

From my research a few months ago btw, Mavic seem to have it fairly well locked down regarding spare rims. There was one company that did them in the UK but you might as well have bought a new set.

You could just email mavic and see what the story is? maybe the have someone in Ireland or NI that does work for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Thanks for coming back to me!

That quite a lot of KMs and not sure what you would have paid for them, but on rough costings that's a very low cent per KM ratio, I'd imagine.

If I get 20K out of my set I'll gladly bin them with no regrets!

Sometime you have to look at it that way :)

From my research a few months ago btw, Mavic seem to have it fairly well locked down regarding spare rims. There was one company that did them in the UK but you might as well have bought a new set.

You could just email mavic and see what the story is? maybe the have someone in Ireland or NI that does work for them?

Could be more than 20K when I look back on it, they are fantasic wheels, I am 90kg and they have put up with some brutal roads down here in Cork, never even done a spoke, the hubs are in great nick.
    I have found rims at St John Street Cycles for €80 a pop and my trusty mechanic said he would replace them, so worth a shot.
    The cheapest new pair I've found were at 4thebike €399 plus shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

You'll probably need to replace all the spokes as well as they will more than likely be seized. All the rims are available from Mavic if you give them the code on the rim.

Cheers

SF

Advertisement