Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved to fixed rate - cal I overpay?

• 27-02-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

I am currently on BOI variable rate 4.25% so I have asked the bank for other options.

I have been offered
    1 yr fixed - 3.4%
    2 yr fixed - 3.25%
    3 yr fixed - 3.1%
    5 yr fixed - 3.3%
    10 yr fixed - 3.85%

I have been given the repayment details for each of these but, as I have already been overpaying each month, it appears that I can continue to overpay on a fixed rate? Is this correct and if so, does it seem like a good option?
    (If I continue with monthly payment as is , it should be paid off in 7 yrs)

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I was in exactly the same position with BoI. On a variable rate of 4.25.% and reluctant to move to fixed rate because I wanted to continue overpaying however they will allow you to move to a fixed rate and continue to overpay once the overpayment is in place prior to changing to the fixed rate. You can stop the overpayment at any time but will not be allowed to reinstate during the term of the fixed rate.

We increased our overpayment to take into account what we would save by changing and then moved to a 3 year fixed at 3.1%. It took the hassle away from moving to a different bank for a lower variable rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

Thank you. I might do likewise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Refinance to AIB/EBS/Haven at 3.1% variable. Refinancing at another bank is an hour or two of paperwork. It is not as time consuming as people think. It can take up to 6 months from phoning up about a refinance to being with a new bank. But is not time consuming from your POV

I would not fix rates, are not to rise for years. I would fix when there is serious take of a rate hike from the ECB

OP I found this on askaboutmoney

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/boi-reduced-my-rate-from-4-5-to-3-3-variable-87-ltv-when-i-told-them-i-was-switching.202757/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

Thank you newacc2015.
    I really don'y fancy the idea of changing - lazy and all as that may seem - so my logic was that a fixed rate of 3.1% for 3 years is much lower than my current 4.25%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

newacc2015 wrote:
    Refinance to AIB/EBS/Haven at 3.1% variable. Refinancing at another bank is an hour or two of paperwork. It is not as time consuming as people think. It can take up to 6 months from phoning up about a refinance to being with a new bank. But is not time consuming from your POV

I would like to talk to anyone who has refinanced at another bank with nothing more than an hour or two of paperwork. And if the op can get a fixed rate for the same %, as a variable and still continue to overpay without having to move bank where is the benefit in that?
    newacc2015 wrote:
    I would not fix rates, are not to rise for years. I would fix when there is serious take of a rate hike from the ECB

What fact is that based on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement