Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rolec Home Charger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I have two of the 32A Rolecs. Your price is about as good as it get for them.

They are in the upper third of the market in terms of quality. Better than ESB's ABLs or podpoints (I have several of those too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

cros13 wrote: »
    I have two of the 32A Rolecs. Your price is about as good as it get for them.

They are in the upper third of the market in terms of quality. Better than ESB's ABLs or podpoints (I have several of those too).

What other brands would you consider to be perhaps better than the Rolec.
    Thanks?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Nothing wrong with the charge master, seller on adverts. Tethered so you don't need to keep putting the cable away...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

I was thinking about the Chargemaster, but I don't particularly like the way its wired via a junction box, and not direct to the unit.

Chargemaster_Installation_1_A.jpgscreen cap

I just think it doesn't look as good when there's a 4 inch junction box beside the unit.

I think I will go for a untethered unit, but I'll think about that a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

There are a few better than Rolec in different categories.

Rolec makes good basic chargepoints, but for more features / premium materials / multi-EV charging you need to look elsewhere:

FILLIE - very well built, very stylish, upgradable to three phase, cloud management

Tesla Wall Connector - upgradable to three phase, up to single phase 48A, load sharing, stylish

ICU Eve Mini - upgradable to three phase, RFID authentication, LCD charging status screen

ChargePoint Home - Tethered J1772 chargepoints, very stylish, smart home integration, cloud management, have to import from the US but they work fine here.

Charge AMPS Halo - Stylish, odd socket location, cloud management, load sharing

Zaptec Zapcharger - load sharing, cloud management, upgradable to three phase, RFID

With the exception of the Tesla Wall Connector and ChargePoint Home all are substantially more expensive than the Rolec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Fiesta wrote: »
    I was thinking about the Chargemaster, but I don't particularly like the way its wired via a junction box, and not direct to the unit.

Chargemaster_Installation_1_A.jpgscreen cap

I just think it doesn't look as good when there's a 4 inch junction box beside the unit.

I think I will go for a untethered unit, but I'll think about that a bit more.

You can fit a small round junction box under the charger and bring the black copex around the side and into the bottom. It doesn't look too bad, they are a nice unit..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Fiesta wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying this one, 32Amp, from here:

https://evonestop.co.uk/shop/audi/audi-r8-e-tron/wallpod-ev-homecharge-iec62196-type-2-socket/

evwp2026_white.jpgimage hoster

Also thinking of adding the kWh meter, just so I know what it's costing to charge the car, a 6.6kW Leaf.

The Rolec charger is £318, plus £48 if I want the meter. The 16A and 32A are the same price.

Are these Rolecs good quality, and does the price seem ok?

If you get onto Phil in Electric Autos in Kildare, I'm nearly sure I seen him posting on the FB page that he will price match any of these from the UK.
    Worth a phone call/email.

1: Thank you Cros for the list above.

2: Getting a bit giddy here as I collect tomorrow: just wondering could a tethered charger be concealed in a ESB meter box

I have the room, tools and skill to recess the house wall safely, with access to the back from the garage. However before I take out the Hilti T905
    1. is using a meter box against the regs
    2. will it fit.

I will fit some sort of magnetic lock on it, like on fire exit doors..
    I would like to go tethered but don't want it exposed when not in use, hence this, perhaps madcap idea.
    Thanks
    ps any other recessed ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I doubt it would fit in the meter box unless you have a non-standard meter box and I'd also imagine it's against the regs(only guessing on that).

These EVSE's are designed for outdoor use so I wouldn't worry about recessing it unless it's for aesthetic reasons you want to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

And if it's tethered there's not so much chance of someone stealing your cable

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    I doubt it would fit in the meter box unless you have a non-standard meter box and I'd also imagine it's against the regs(only guessing on that).

These EVSE's are designed for outdoor use so I wouldn't worry about recessing it unless it's for aesthetic reasons you want to do it.

I will post a question in the Elec section but as they generally don't take too kindly to non-believers, its hard hat time

Its to reduce the risk of it being vandalised.
    unkel wrote: »
    +1

And if it's tethered there's not so much chance of someone stealing your cable

As above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Am I in error? A Leaf, thus the OP, needs a Type 1 charger. Others please clarify.
    Electric Autos were out of 32 amp Type I. He was looking for a new supplier. May have one by now. Contact with him worth a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Water John wrote: »
    Am I in error? A Leaf, thus the OP, needs a Type 1 charger. Others please clarify.
    Electric Autos were out of 32 amp Type I. He was looking for a new supplier. May have one by now. Contact with him worth a shout.

Yeah, Type 1 but it's slightly confusing. One end is Type 2 which connects into public slow chargers or home chargers. The Type 1 end connects to the Leaf.
    i3 etc. is Type 2 female and male at either end

So it's easiest just to refer to the end which connects to the vehicles onboard AC charger. Leaf = Type 1, i3 =Type 2.

1: Thank you Cros for the list above.

2: Getting a bit giddy here as I collect tomorrow: just wondering could a tethered charger be concealed in a ESB meter box

I have the room, tools and skill to recess the house wall safely, with access to the back from the garage. However before I take out the Hilti T905
    1. is using a meter box against the regs
    2. will it fit.

I will fit some sort of magnetic lock on it, like on fire exit doors..
    I would like to go tethered but don't want it exposed when not in use, hence this, perhaps madcap idea.
    Thanks
    ps any other recessed ideas?

It's possible :D
    5752-6e89bef7ed807078120738521748413b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's tasty.
    You getting your car today Honda? You'll have to name it Dafydd as it's March 1st.

s.welstead wrote: »
    It's possible :D

What do you do with the door when the car is plugged in? Is there some kind of tie back for the door to stop it flapping in the wind?

Personally, I'd rather not have it in a meter box. I dont find the charge point itself that ugly, it comes in different colours so I got mine to match the stone on the house so it blends in fine. A white meter box looks worse to me but if you need it for vandalism reasons, I suppose needs must.

KCross wrote: »
    What do you do with the door when the car is plugged in? Is there some kind of tie back for the door to stop it flapping in the wind?

Personally, I'd rather not have it in a meter box. I dont find the charge point itself that ugly, it comes in different colours so I got mine to match the stone on the house so it blends in fine. A white meter box looks worse to me but if you need it for vandalism reasons, I suppose needs must.

Not mine, remember seeing it on SpeakEV a while back. You'd need a tie or magnet to keep it from flapping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

If you cut a slot out of the bottom of the box and then carefully covered over the sharp edges with a seal of some type you could have the door closed when the cable is plugged into the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If you cut a slot out of the bottom of the box and then carefully covered over the sharp edges with a seal of some type you could have the door closed when the cable is plugged into the car.

My thoughts exactly.

Will THIS product do the job for the Leaf? Getting a 6.6. I like the idea of having the 13amp socket available.

2015-12-17-14.01.49.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks nice, but Jaysus that's a lot of money! I'd like the idea of a socket too, but I guess it will go down my "nice things to have" list

You need a type 1 BTW for your Leaf, not a type 2. The one you linked won't fit your car. Unless you change your mind again and buy an Ioniq ;)

unkel wrote: »
    Looks nice, but Jaysus that's a lot of money! I'd like the idea of a socket too, but I guess it will go down my "nice things to have" list

You need a type 1 BTW for your Leaf, not a type 2. The one you linked won't fit your car. Unless you change your mind again and buy an Ioniq ;)

Type 1. Got it.

This the one? in the 32 amp version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

For mine I got a a 30amp chargemaster. I also wanted a socket outside so I ran a 5 core cable and used 2 of the cores for a socket. The socket although IP66 is kept in a permanent off position using a separate 20amp MCBO. Having an outside socket comes in very handy I have to say.

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    For mine I got a a 30amp chargemaster. I also wanted a socket outside so I ran a 5 core cable and used 2 of the cores for a socket. The socket although IP66 is kept in a permanent off position using a separate 20amp MCBO. Having an outside socket comes in very handy I have to say.

Is the 40A MCBO on the board or in the outside unit?
    If inside can you provide some details please of the spec.
    Thanks

Thanks

This is what you need: RCBO 40AMP C-Curve
    http://www.eurosales.ie/products/AD990J.html

It goes into your consumer unit with the rest of your trip switches, if possible.

Thanks

You are getting the free unit anyway, aren't you? So that will be supplied to you just that it won't be a 40A RCBO as they will put in one to support a 16A EVSE.

Ask them if they will wire yours for a 32A EVSE and see if they will do that for you. It's worth asking and you should try since you have a 6.6kW car. Let us know how you get on. Did they call you about it yet?

No they didn't call, I called them re the card and, yawn, yes, yawn eile, you are on the list and we will get to you.....

Re the install, yes free one will be done, I will ask them: a friend has put in a new sub-distribution board that is about 2 feet from the charger location so even if they just go with the 16Amp kit, it will be easy upgrade it, unlike some here who are running long lengths from the CU.

Have it on the granny cable now.. 12.5 hrs for a 54% top up, the Topaz rapid charge near me was kaput but showing available on the e-cars app when I called in on way home....

Re the install, yes free one will be done, I will ask them: a friend has put in a new sub-distribution board that is about 2 feet from the charger location so even if they just go with the 16Amp kit, it will be easy upgrade it, unlike some here who are running long lengths from the CU.

The only thing about the sub board is that it may not be wired to handle the addition of 32A. I'd ask your friend that before the free EVSE is put in.

If it's not wired for it it might be better to get eCars to wire the EVSE to the main board since it's free!! Just get 32A capable cable put in and let them do the rest at 16A if they want.

• Advertisement

Forgive me for jumping in, but I bought the 6mm2 32A cable as you and others suggested. Are there other parts I should provide too for the free installation to be easily upgradeable to 32A? Like that RCBO you link to up there? Apart from the EVSE itself of course. Kinda hoping that could be software upgraded, if not I'll have it replaced at some point.

Advertisement