Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid advice

Options
  • 27-02-2017 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

First of all great sub-forum. Lots of advice and helpful people here :)

Waterford Greenway opening soon. Want to avail of it so decided on a Hybrid, as not cycled in 20 years and not into speed (yet), more thinking about comfort.

Have it narrowed down to two.

Boardman Hybrid Team Bike - 54cm - €600 (on sale i think)

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-team-bike

Or

Cube SL Road Pro 2017 - 58cm - (bought in a local store) - €799

https://www.cube.eu/en/2017/road-triathlon/sl-road/cube-sl-road-pro-greynflashyellow-2017/

On paper, the Boardman looks a steal / better components and €200 cheaper, but build quality & after care service is important too.

What do you guys reckon? i think i'm a 58cm guy, halfords only do 54cm so that might play into the decision.

Thank you for your time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

54 vs 58 dos more than play into the decision, it decides it imo. Get a bike the right size for you.

Why not get a CX bike - that would probably be more suited to riding on the greenway.

Unfortunately the €600 boardman CX bike is mechanical disc rather than hydraullic, which is a big compromise imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Fian wrote: »
    54 vs 58 dos more than play into the decision, it decides it imo. Get a bike the right size for you.

Why not get a CX bike - that would probably be more suited to riding on the greenway.

Unfortunately the €600 boardman CX bike is mechanical disc rather than hydraullic, which is a big compromise imo.

Cheers Fian.

Good catch on the brakes.

I'll do some research on CX, thank you for the pointer.

So better fit, better brakes is the important part and not focus too much on Tiagra vs Sora for a first bike you reckon?

Although halfords say 54cm is fine for between 5' 10" - 6' 5" :p.

Might just shell out on the Cube if i decide against CX

Appreciate your time man

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Have the cube SL road pro 2016 for 6 months now, love it, the riding position is comfortable, but the bike can move when it needs to. brakes cause me no issues, i cycle 25k a couple of times a week on differing road surfaces, no tyre or wheel problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Morpheus wrote:
    Have the cube SL road pro 2016 for 6 months now, love it, the riding position is comfortable, but the bike can move when it needs to. brakes cause me no issues, i cycle 25k a couple of times a week on differing road surfaces, no tyre or wheel problems so far.

Thank you for the recommendation, Morpheus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Cheers Fian.

Good catch on the brakes.

I'll do some research on CX, thank you for the pointer.

So better fit, better brakes is the important part and not focus too much on Tiagra vs Sora for a first bike you reckon?

Although halfords say 54cm is fine for between 5' 10" - 6' 5" :p.

Might just shell out on the Cube if i decide against CX

Appreciate your time man

I think fit is really important, not honestly sure whether it is as important on a hybrid as on a drop bar bike but i expect it still matters.

I honestly can't compare sora - tiagra, have never used sora and the tiagra i used in the past was 9 speed so probably not a real comparison with modern tiagra.

I have mechanical disks on my hybrid commuter, hydraullic on my road bike. I don't like mechanical disks, would prefer rim brakes tbh. I won't buy another bike with mechanical disks.

I looked at that greenway - looks really good and from pictures looks like a road bike would also be fine for it as well as a cx bike.

Consider second hand, especially if you are not intending to use bike to work scheme.

http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/cube-sl-road-pro-2016-bike/12376734

(by way of example)

• Advertisement
Advertisement