Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speculating on Re Regs

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Have you not read previous replies? The rule is not made-up - it has been there as long as I can recall. The site history of other posters is really none of your business & they are entitled to their anonymity as per the Terms of Use that you agreed to when you registered.

Show me the rule please, that states I can't ask someone.

Hullabaloo thinks there's no such rule.

Why are you dragging anonymity into it??

How does asking someone if they're a re reg affect their anonymity or reveal their identity?

You are attempting to confuse someone's anonymous online identity with their actual identity as far as I can make out and it has no bearing on the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The rule has been clearly shown. The reasons have been clearly given.

At this stage op you are basically just repeating yourself ad nauseam and refusing to take on board any differing viewpoints.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to add one point here. A few years ago I enquired if it was possible to ask posters if they were re-regs via PM. I was told by someone in the office at that time that I could not even do that because of data protection rules and the rationale behind introduction of the close account facility. I've not checked again recently as I've had no particular reason to do so, but I'm not seeing any reason for the explanation to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Beasty wrote: »
    Just to add one point here. A few years ago I enquired if it was possible to ask posters if they were re-regs via PM. I was told by someone in the office at that time that I could not even do that because of data protection rules and the rationale behind introduction of the close account facility. I've not checked again recently as I've had no particular reason to do so, but I'm not seeing any reason for the explanation to differ.

If that is the situation with the office due to data protection, I don`t see how it would be a breach one poster asking another to clarify if they were a rereg or not ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

charlie14 wrote: »
    If that is the situation with the office due to data protection, I don`t see how it would be a breach one poster asking another to clarify if they were a rereg or not ?
    It was what I was advised, as I said it was several years ago. My recollection was it was something to do with the right to be forgotten. It was discussed in one of the private mods forums, but I'm not sure I'll be able to search it out to confirm what was said given the passage of time and my high post count.

• Advertisement

I won't dispute that's what you were told.

Do you think that the protection of the status of someones personal data would be affected by my asking them if they're a re reg?

How?

Personal data protection relates to the protection of actual real world personal details that have been volunteered and accepted for use here by a data controller, not to someone's chosen nom de plume.

It was what I was advised, as I said it was several years ago. My recollection was it was something to do with the right to be forgotten. It was discussed in one of the private mods forums, but I'm not sure I'll be able to search it out to confirm what was said given the passage of time and my high post count.

Like Going Forward I am not doubting what you say, but I don`t see where the problem would be regarding data protection in asking a poster if they are a rereg.

Say you actually were a completely new account. It is not going to be a particularly pleasant introduction to Boards if you feel you are facing immediate interrogation from other users

Equally say you have re-reg'd with good reason. Maybe you disclosed something personal on the old account and want to detach yourself from that account. You then get similar interrogation when you start posting. If you answer your new ID is blown. If you don't you then face suspicion you may be a re-reg because someone has speculated that may be the case when frankly it's absolutely none of their business.

If you think someone may have re-reg'd to disrupt a particular thread they are unlikely to own up anyway. So as already stated all you have to do is report your suspicions and the mods can act as they see fit

Say you actually were a completely new account. It is not going to be a particularly pleasant introduction to Boards if you feel you are facing immediate interrogation from other users

Equally say you have re-reg'd with good reason. Maybe you disclosed something personal on the old account and want to detach yourself from that account. You then get similar interrogation when you start posting. If you answer your new ID is blown. If you don't you then face suspicion you may be a re-reg because someone has speculated that may be the case when frankly it's absolutely none of their business.

If you think someone may have re-reg'd to disrupt a particular thread they are unlikely to own up anyway. So as already stated all you have to do is report your suspicions and the mods can act as they see fit

To be perfectly honest with you the impression I get is that regardless of the reason for someone re-registering, and that includes my point about trolling due to the anonymity a new name would give that would be spotted by a mod under the original name as such, nobody really has any interest in doing anything about it.

Exactly.

And this is then potentially violating the rights of a person to privacy which is explicitly against the rules

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

To be perfectly honest with you the impression I get is that regardless of the reason for someone re-registering, and that includes my point about trolling due to the anonymity a new name would give that would be spotted by a mod under the original name as such, nobody really has any interest in doing anything about it.

Well thats nonsense - if someone reregisters to troll they generally get pulled up on it by moderators

Terry Pratchet

Well thats nonsense - if someone reregisters to troll they generally get pulled up on it by moderators

.....on which they would be pulled up much faster under the original name where the mod can view their past posts, rather than them re-appearing as a new poster on a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Show me the rule please, that states I can't ask someone.
    See post #1 (your own) which quotes the forum charter rule.
    See post #2 which quotes the site rule from the ToU.
    Hullabaloo thinks there's no such rule.
    No disrespect to m'learned friend, but see above.
    Why are you dragging anonymity into it??
    Because the site Terms of Use is very specific about respecting the anonymity of our members.
    How does asking someone if they're a re reg affect their anonymity or reveal their identity?
    Because by asking such a question it will inevitably lead to speculation about their former identity (see bit about anonymity above) which is:
    (a) none of your business
    (b) likely to drag the discussion off-topic

Exactly.

And this is then potentially violating the rights of a person to privacy which is explicitly against the rules

But nobody is explaining HOW asking a basic question to ascertain whether I have previously interacted with someone is potentially violating their personal privacy or data protection rules, other than citing this example of a rereg who would themselves be at fault for having posted something personally identifiable about themselves which they shouldn't have done in the first place if they were abiding by the terms of use.

No one is seeking to publically unmask an anonymous user.

See post #1 (your own) which quotes the forum charter rule.
    See post #2 which quotes the site rule from the ToU.

No disrespect to m'learned friend, but see above.

I would say that asking is markedly different than openly speculating.

It could be said that I intend to ask to stifle any speculation.

Asking IS speculating and frankly that is nonsense because asking only leads to more speculation.

Terry Pratchet

But nobody is explaining HOW asking a basic question to ascertain whether I have previously interacted with someone is potentially violating their personal privacy or data protection rules, other than citing this example of a rereg who would themselves be at fault for having posted something personally identifiable about themselves which they shouldn't have done in the first place if they were abiding by the terms of use.

Where does it say in the terms of use that a poster cant post information that could identify themselves?

Terry Pratchet

That's a pretty ridiculous position to take. The mere asking lends itself to speculation by others. Why do you consider it necessary or appropriate to ask in an open forum where everyone else can see? It turns a discussion on a particular topic into a discussion of a specific poster.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You'd be incorrect on that, there is an extensive thread in the mods forums which track people who rereg.
    .....on which they would be pulled up much faster under the original name where the mod can view their past posts, rather than them re-appearing as a new poster on a thread.

Again incorrect, if someone has closed an account due to warnings/infractions/bans and rereged, the record from the previous account is applied and they get actioned more severely than a new account would ordinarily be.

For me it comes down to 1. derailing a thread, 2. the fact that anytime someone reports someone as a rereg it's genuinely 50/50 if they are correct.

Why the need to "out" them? Can you imagine a thread where lets say I was active and rereg.

Someone asks "are you Stheno" and the thread goes completely off the rails.

I changed username a few years ago due to a privacy issue, if I'd done a rereg on it I'd worry about being asked if I was my former name tbh.
    Asking IS speculating and frankly that is nonsense because asking only leads to more speculation.

Agreed asking is speculation, and usually wrong speculation.

Where does it say in the terms of use that a poster cant post information that could identify themselves?

It recommends that they shouldn't do it:
    You are encouraged to exercise discretion when providing personal information about yourself on boards.ie. Any personal information which you volunteer in your public profile or post on the forums will be available worldwide to anyone with access to the website.

We recommend you never post your name, address, telephone number email address or anything else that may lead someone to identify you if this is something you are uncomfortable with.

Please note that certain information (such as photographs) which you may choose to provide might reveal your gender, ethnic origin, nationality, religion and/or sexual orientation.

boards.ie does not delete all posts from any member on request, so if you have publically posted identifying information about yourself, then it will remain on the site.

And, I think this is appropriate to our conversation, because it divests boards of any responsibility to warrant the veracity of any identity of any user or what they may post.

Hence my concern at what I see as a deliberate blurring of lines between what are actual personal details and anonymous entities.

Boards.ie Limited does not give any warranty or make any representation as to the identity of any user on boards.ie

Any use of, or reliance placed on, any content or Materials posted to boards.ie by any user, or obtained by you through boards.ie, is at your own risk.

• Advertisement

To me this whole thing is really 100% clearcut

1 The terms of use explicitly ban it
    You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:
    identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

2 The point of discussions here is to discuss the topic not to discuss other users.

Asking "are you a rereg?" is speculation and can lead to more speculation and a complete derailment of a discussion off topic

I honestly cant see any argument at all that this isnt breaking terms of use.

Terry Pratchet

It recommends that they shouldn't do it:

And, I think this is appropriate to our conversation, because it divests boards of any responsibility to warrant the veracity of any identity of any user or what they may post.

Hence my concern at what I see as a deliberate blurring of lines between what are actual personal details and anonymous entities.

That is a reccomendation only. It is not against the terms of use to divulge information that can personally identify you.

Terry Pratchet

That's a pretty ridiculous position to take. The mere asking lends itself to speculation by others.

Therefore, the mere asking is, in itself not speculation.

Thanks ;)

Stheno wrote: »
    You'd be incorrect on that, there is an extensive thread in the mods forums which track people who rereg.

Again incorrect, if someone has closed an account due to warnings/infractions/bans and rereged, the record from the previous account is applied and they get actioned more severely than a new account would ordinarily be.

Your reply goes to the heart of my original problem with reregs and even though I asked would it not be an idea for mods or admin if informed of a suspicion by a poster that someone was a rereg and using such to troll, could mods on the relevant threads not be advised to be aware of such.

The reason I was incorrect in these two posts of mine you highlight, is basically with all the replies and posts from mods here, you are the only one to acknowledge that it is being done already without any poster having to point out their suspicions of a rereg.

Thank you for that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks ;)

Well I'd see it as speculating tbh, instead of taking a new account on it's merits, asking "are you Stheno2" is speculating that a new account is a rereg imo.

Your reply goes to the heart of my original problem with reregs and even though I asked would it not be an idea for mods or admin if informed of a suspicion by a poster that someone was a rereg and using such to troll, could mods on the relevant threads not be advised to be aware of such.

The reason I was incorrect in these two posts of mine you highlight, is basically with all the replies and posts from mods here, you are the only one to acknowledge that it is being done already without any poster having to point out their suspicions of a rereg.

Thank you for that.

Mods actively look to identify posters who are reregs tbh.

We also appreciate getting pms from posters about potential reregs, I'd one such pm today and I've escalated it to the admins to investigate.

I know in the cafe, when we have a rereg, one of us will post it in the cafe mods forum so we are all aware of it and I imagine that applies across the site.

Sometimes though mods/admins miss reregs and it's great to have users pm us or report them.

If you are not comfortable with reporting because you believe a mod might be biased towards a rereg the option is there to pm a mod that you don't believe is biased and ask them to raise it.

Thanks ;)

Thats completely twisting the words around to reach a different conclusion to be honest.

the way I see it - asking is speculation - I have seen absolutely no counter argument that would convince me otherwise.

Terry Pratchet

That is a reccomendation only. It is not against the terms of use to divulge information that can personally identify you.

It's recommended in the terms of use and for obvious reasons.

You do regularly snip posts that contain potentially personally identifiable information don't you?

Should they actually be left intact?

You do regularly snip posts that contain potentially personally identifiable information don't you?
    If posted by the individual in question I don't unless asked to do so. I may snip telephone numbers or e-mail addresses simply to protect users from spam.

It would be very easy for anyone who wanted to work out who I am, as there is plenty of personally identifiable information I have posted on this site.

However it's not OK for anyone else to post such information in connection with anyone who has not "outed" themselves. That will certainly be snipped.

• Advertisement

It's recommended in the terms of use and for obvious reasons.

Should they actually be left intact?

Not regularly no

If someone posts a photo or other identifiable information I generally wouldnt snip it - thats their choice. The only thing I would tend to snip is phone numbers really.

At the end of the day it has been explained to you numerous times by many posters why the rule is in place.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement