Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 27-02-2017 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I recently got into shooting with a rifle. I am a member of a club here in cork and I also hunt varmints (have a few permissions) . The problem is that whenever there is more than one rabbit in a field, my first shot always scares away the rest, so a moderator would be more than handy for bagging more than one bunny.

The thing is, when I was going through the licensing process, I got called into the district garda station to have a chat with the Super, (the usual), who told me that he doesn't usually give out moderators because of safety concerns, and I said that's fair enough (note that I had ticked the suppressor box on the form) . But when I got the license, to my surprise, I noticed that there's an S in the bottom corner.

So the question is, can I go ahead and purchase one? Either it's a mistake, or the super changed his mind. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    RS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

If it's on it fire away your authorized

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭RS98

If it's on it fire away your authorized

Thanks, that's the answer I was hoping for
    RS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

RS98 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    But when I got the license, to my surprise, I noticed that there's an S in the bottom corner.

Thanks,
    RS

This is what the S looks like and where you will find it on the licence

rifle%20licence%20blocked_zpsmfyjxn2u.jpg

Thanks J. R for the reply. Yeah I have the S alright. Was just a little surprised (pleasantly) cause the super said he wasn't authorizing any mods. I'm fairly new to this so i thought better safe than sorry.

R. S

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

If you have the S your good to go.
    what were his safety concerns by the way?

• Advertisement

Damoeire33 wrote: »
    If you have the S your good to go.
    what were his safety concerns by the way?

He said " If you have a moderator on a . 22 all you can hear when you pull the trigger is the drop of the firing pin. So if you're shooting in a field somewhere, nobody else knows what's going on"

Now I understand his concerns and all but to be fair, if someone else needs to know I'm shooting for them to be safe, I shouldn't be shooting at all. I shouldn't even have a license if that's the case. Again, I get where he's coming from, and I'm not trying to disrespect his opinion or anything.

It'd be handy to have a mod cause when I'm out lamping, one shot sends all the dogs for a mile barking.

RS

Advertisement