Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why people have children

• 28-02-2017 12:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 abdulabduler

Ireland has(still?) the highest birth rates in European Union. I was thinking why would anyone want to have children. Seems to me like a self inflicted torture. Screaming, shouting pooping, huge responsibility for absolute minimum of 18 years. I was thinking maybe Ireland has highest birth rate because abortion is illegal? So people who don't want children are still forced to have unwanted children which results in abuse and children growing up and resorting to crime (proven by studies). For example Germany has lowest birth rate in Europe, can someone explain to me correlation between the birth rates of Ireland and Germany?

Old article from Irish times
    I doubt much has changed

IRELAND HAS the highest birth rate in Europe, according to the latest statistics from the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).

The birth rate of 17 per 1,000 of population, up from 14.4 per 1,000 in 2000, was the highest of any of the 27 countries of the European Union in 2009, according to the Perinatal Statistics Report 2009 published yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

how is babby formed
    how girl get pragnent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

It's human instinct isn't it?

I never wanted kids, I liked them but i never wanted any. But the closer I get to 30 the more baby crazy I get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I was thinking why would anyone want to have children.
    How did you get here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sometimes guys forgets that 'johnny has you covered'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ireland has(still?) the highest birth rates in European Union. I was thinking why would anyone want to have children. Seems to me like a self inflicted torture. Screaming, shouting pooping, huge responsibility for absolute minimum of 18 years. I was thinking maybe Ireland has highest birth rate because abortion is illegal? So people who don't want children are still forced to have unwanted children which results in abuse and children growing up and resorting to crime (proven by studies). For example Germany has lowest birth rate in Europe, can someone explain to me correlation between the birth rates of Ireland and Germany?

Old article from Irish times
    I doubt much has changed

IRELAND HAS the highest birth rate in Europe, according to the latest statistics from the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).

The birth rate of 17 per 1,000 of population, up from 14.4 per 1,000 in 2000, was the highest of any of the 27 countries of the European Union in 2009, according to the Perinatal Statistics Report 2009 published yesterday.

Surely if you were able to stretch the explanation that far, it becomes obvious that Irish people are having more sex than their German counterparts?

I could believe that :pac:

Why do people have children? Because they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

For some it's part of a predetermined plan that they think is the only way to live life & you have to follow it.
    College - job - partner - marriage - house - kids.

Others I think have kids to give them some sort of 'meaning' in their life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 weekday

any girls out there looking to get together to have a baby?

pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We do it for the children allowance.....And the joy of never having any time or money ever again;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Lower unemployment in Germany, so less people having sex

Germans were much older when they finish studying, plus they previously had to do a year of military service. So they were later entering the workforce. This meant they were older by the time they had an established career which meant they were older starting a family, so less time for more kids. You don't see many German families with more than 2 kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm complete underachiever so I decided to project my ambitions on kids.

The first one is pretty so I hope he'll marry well. The second one has a potential to be mafia boss or a dictator if she doesn't get pregnant at 14 by some Anto...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I was thinking why would anyone want to have children. Seems to me like a self inflicted torture. Screaming, shouting pooping, huge responsibility for absolute minimum of 18 years..

Ask your parents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I want them because they'll make me happy, I want to be a dad. I have a paternal instinct in me, can't wait to clean all that poop up and see them grow. From day 1 will be training him/her to be a professional footballer, it's an investment really.should be able to retire when I'm 50 once he/she breaks into a premier league team ill be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You say it like its a bad thing. Ireland's birth rate is still too low to even sustain a population, so there will be problems with the ageing populatiojn in future. Its high comapred to the ridiculously low birth rates of continental europe. trying to encourage conditions such as in the demographic time bomb that is germany is not something for a country to strive towards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

It's one way to get a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Because they are f**king great. Best thing to ever happen me and every day you get a little bit of priceless (along with the sh1t, grief, worry etc.)

AH answer, my slong is so big that it burst through the XL johnny a few times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The cleaning up poop stops for a while between 4 and 16 so you get a decent break.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I think you can be happy without them. I couldn't deal with not having any time to myself and being confined. And for what? So they can grow up and do the same? I'm probably a nihilist but kids are not for me, life is too good without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Because single mothers allowance in Ireland is the best career choice in Europe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 abdulabduler

To ensure the survival of the human race?

World is extremely overpopulated.

• Advertisement

And some people need to just have babies you know, for survival of man kind. Not many people consider it this way when having children though. But if everyone was in line with your thinking, and nobody had children ,would you think thats best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This post has been deleted.
    Nah. To ensure the replication of the genome, which gives not fcuk one what species it replicates in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

PARlance wrote: »
    Because they are f**king great. Best thing to ever happen me and every day you get a little bit of priceless (along with the sh1t, grief, worry etc.)

AH answer, my slong is so big that it burst through the XL johnny a few times.

I feel your pain, even trojan magnums feel tight on my meatpole. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

We have a serious overpopulation issue on this planet. I get the human race must continue but think of it this way the more kids we all have the more pressure on the earth leading to its inevitable destruction. So people are thinking of the now but not the kind of world they're great grand kids will have to live in. We're neglecting and killing off so many species of animals everyday for what...a great future?

I'm trying not to be dramatic but how many generations are we away from having no animals left, no rainforests or sea creatures?

kids in a few years won't know a world outside climate change and computers. Before anyone thinks I'm an old fogie giving out..I'm 25!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I never wanted kids, my nieces and nephews are great though. Darlings all of them, and I can hand them back. lol.

So much money for me now and so little worry or responsibility.

I am also saving the over populated planet, but enjoying the consequences of a child free life.

Each to their own though. The want and need to procreate is obviously something that by passed me!

World is extremely overpopulated.

Ireland is not, and cannot be described as such in any way
    The world is not over populated, we just use resources incredibly wastefully. If westerners ate half the amount of food we do we'd all still be very well fed, and something like half of our food goes in the bin while people starve around the world. So theres plenty of resources about, its just we don't feel the need to share them with those less fortunate

wakka12 wrote: »
    And some people need to just have babies you know, for survival of man kind. Not many people consider it this way when having children though. But if everyone was in line with your thinking, and nobody had children ,would you think thats best?

Yes, world is extremely overpopulated, humans are destroying this planet.

Ireland is not, and cannot be described as such in any way
    The world is not over populated, we just use resources incredibly wastefully. If westerners ate half the amount of food we do we'd all still be very well fed, and something like half of our food goes in the bin while people starve around the world. So theres plenty of resources about, its just we don't feel the need to share them with those less fortunate

We are straining mothers earth's resources, Ireland is not overpopulated but almost every other European country is, prime example England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

For the mickey money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We have a serious overpopulation issue on this planet. I get the human race must continue but think of it this way the more kids we all have the more pressure on the earth leading to its inevitable destruction. So people are thinking of the now but not the kind of world they're great grand kids will have to live in. We're neglecting and killing off so many species of animals everyday for what...a great future?

I'm trying not to be dramatic but how many generations are we away from having no animals left, no rainforests or sea creatures?

kids in a few years won't know a world outside climate change and computers. Before anyone thinks I'm an old fogie giving out..I'm 25!

A good war or two will sort out that kind of stuff. If not, we can start killing off the pensioners. They seem to be the population that is growing the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yes, world is extremely overpopulated, humans are destroying this planet.

Would you be open to letting us having kids and just killing off the bad humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I find it strange for men but can understand women because it's part of their biological make up. Men just want to mate and protect their children if they come. Women want to actually have the child part.

I can't say I have any ambitions to have children and I am reaching the point of no return in terms of finding a partner to do it. Unless I become Mick Jagger and trade a new one in every 10 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Shemale wrote: »
    Because single mothers allowance in Ireland is the best career choice in Europe?

No such thing as "single mothers allowance " in Ireland

Having balls of children directly affects the housing crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I feel your pain, even trojan magnums feel tight on my meatpole. :o

Magnum wrappers feel tight on mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Got into parenthood sorta by accident myself.

Kinda glad now that the 'Paradise Gene' might carry on for a few more years.

It's your only way to achieve some kind of immortality.

My Mam passed on a few years back & my youngest daughter (7) is an almost carbon copy of her.

It's almost like my mam is still here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I want them because they'll make me happy, I want to be a dad. I have a paternal instinct in me, can't wait to clean all that poop up and see them grow. From day 1 will be training him/her to be a professional footballer, it's an investment really.should be able to retire when I'm 50 once he/she breaks into a premier league team ill be sorted.

How YOU doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's not all about the money (or lack of)...We also do it so we can look down on childless couples....

..... And wonder why they don't want the joy that getting called "daddy" brings.
    For all the negatives, that outweighs them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Little known fact. When you have a small child you are allowed back on the big slides at play centres. So when you're having a shítty Monday morning at work, there are stay at home parents all over the country racing down giant slides. (And winning, because were more clued in about aerodynamics than our preschoolers.)

We are straining mothers earth's resources, Ireland is not overpopulated but almost every other European country is, prime example England.

As far as I can see the British government is successfully providing its densely populated little nation with enough food ,water, heating, clothing, electricity, education and healthcare (within reason). Japan seems to be providing its citizens with extremely high quality of life despite the incredibly high population desnity.While one of the least populated countries on earth, Suriname has a poverty rate of nearly 50%. Other relatively poor but extremely sparsely populated countries include mongolia and Namibia. On the flip side, another two countries with very sparse population density but high quality of life include iceland and australia. Greenland is another example with very average quality of life. Clearly there is very little correlation between quality of life and population density

Over population, in numerical terms is a complete myth. Over population = not having enough resources to sustain a population. NOT the number of people residing in an area. Its very seldom that a place is literally over populated, as in its so densely packed that the population cant all seem to fit/live in the place. For example hong kong.

England, Netherlands, Ireland nor anywhere in Europe are in any way 'over populated'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

For the parent and child parking spaces obviously!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I thought we had to outbreed dem protestants?

Samsgirl wrote: »
    For the parent and child parking spaces obviously!!

Lidl and Aldi have loads of them and never achieve above 56% occupancy so try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

It's not all about the money (or lack of)...We also do it so we can look down on childless couples....

..... And wonder why they don't want the joy that getting called "daddy" brings.
    For all the negatives, that outweighs them !

I'm now in my '40s & I know a fair few couples desperate to have kids. They spend thousands on IVF & all that, often to no avail.

As an 'Accidental Dad', I often feel guilt when I meet these people.

It makes me realise how lucky I am really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

batistuta9 wrote: »
    For some it's part of a predetermined plan that they think is the only way to live life & you have to follow it.
    College - job - partner - marriage - house - kids.

They the only options regards reasons to have children, in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

As far as I can see the British government is successfully providing its densely populated little nation with enough food ,water, heating, clothing, electricity, education and healthcare (within reason). Japan seems to be providing its citizens with extremely high quality of life despite the incredibly high population desnity.While one of the least populated countries on earth, Suriname has a poverty rate of nearly 50%. Other relatively poor but extremely sparsely populated countries include mongolia and Namibia. On the flip side, another two countries with very sparse population density but high quality of life include iceland and australia. Greenland is another example with very average quality of life. Clearly there is very little correlation between quality of life and population density

Over population, in numerical terms is a complete myth. Over population = not having enough resources to sustain a population. NOT the number of people residing in an area. Its very seldom that a place is literally over populated, as in its so densely packed that the population cant all seem to fit/live in the place. For example hong kong.

England, Netherlands, Ireland nor anywhere in Europe are in any way 'over populated'

Kermit wouldn't attempt as many leaps as your logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I find it strange for men but can understand women because it's part of their biological make up. Men just want to mate and protect their children if they come. Women want to actually have the child part.

I can't say I have any ambitions to have children and I am reaching the point of no return in terms of finding a partner to do it. Unless I become Mick Jagger and trade a new one in every 10 years.

You don't think men have a biological urge to continue their lineage through having children?

• Supposedly, half of pregnancies are unplanned, so a lot of people are forced into parenthood in Ireland, since abortion is illegal.

It's still very much the Irish way to buy a house, get married and have 3 kids so theres that too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

MadDog76 wrote: »
    You don't think men have a biological urge to continue their lineage through having children?
    It is doubtful, and there doesn't appear to be much evidence to support the notion of a biological urge either.
    Surprisingly, given how fundamental the question might seem to the perpetuation of the human species, the reasons for why some women want children and others don't remain fuzzy. Few scientists have actually studied women’s so-called biological drive to reproduce, so no universal explanation has emerged in the literature. Some attribute it to basic genetic variety; some women are into kids, some aren’t. But with relatively few women falling into the “aren’t” category, the question of why these few women aren’t interested in kids becomes even more interesting. The only consistent biological theory is that women with no desire to parent either have a high testosterone level or were exposed to above-average testosterone in the womb.

Many scientists believe the seemingly biological drive some women feel isn’t triggered by biology, so much as culture—combined with a fertility deadline. Not only is having children more socially acceptable, says evolutionary biologist David Barash, author of Strange Bedfellows: The Surprising Connection Between Sex, Evolution and Monogamy, but for many, as a life goal, it represents a source of happiness and belonging in the same way that attending college or pursuing a career might. Evolution has bestowed upon women a desire for sex and the equipment to have a baby; from here, free will steps in.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

batistuta9 wrote:
    For some it's part of a predetermined plan that they think is the only way to live life & you have to follow it. College - job - partner - marriage - house - kids.

batistuta9 wrote:

Or maybe they just want a child. Why does there have to be some philosophical, or deep reasoning behind it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement