Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Owners Mountjoy Sq.

Options
  • 28-02-2017 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,
    Would love to hear from any apartment owners living in MountJoy square at the moment. My partner and I are viewing some properties there and would love to hear from people who own an apartment about their experiences living there. Specifically interested in the following:

-General vibe
    -Quality of the buildings
    -Noise pollution (outside & inside)
    -Safety
    -Sense of community

Thanks,
    Jota

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jotajota

Thanks for that
    Is this the correct forum for this kind of post?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yes I would have thought so. The only other place is accommodation and property but that's nationwide. This seems more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

What jumped out at me in the recent articles about the fire was that 150 people were living in 36 apartments in just 3 Georgian buildings. That seems like an awful lot of people per apartment and 50 per house and reminiscent of tenement overcrowding.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0221/854178-eight-people-rescued-from-burning-building-in-dubl/

I'm not a resident but walked through that square daily on my way to work for 5 years and I think it has a beautiful old charm (particularly the green on a sunny day) but also a place that has seen better days. Quite a few of the buildings look derelict and fallen down and are crying out for upgrade. I think a lot of the accommodation is of the lowest grade and charge cheaper rents which attracts a more transient and lower socio-economic demographic which unfortunately can include more troublesome type neighbours.

I recommend you taking a stroll there after dark, during the day and at the weekends to get a feel for it during different times and to observe the type of people that seem to be based there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

ongarboy wrote: »
    What jumped out at me in the recent articles about the fire was that 150 people were living in 36 apartments in just 3 Georgian buildings.
    They can't afford the rent on their own so have to share, most apartments in the city centre are like this now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

ongarboy wrote: »
    What jumped out at me in the recent articles about the fire was that 150 people were living in 36 apartments in just 3 Georgian buildings. That seems like an awful lot of people per apartment and 50 per house and reminiscent of tenement overcrowding.

Have you every been in any of these buildings? They are massive. Some are 400sq meters without extensions! Most have vast extensions at the back. 12 apartments over 5 storeys does not seem overcrowded to me. It is about 2 per floor. Plus lower floors are often split to make bigger sized apartments per floor

These building seen better times 150 years ago. Money fled the City in when the railway opened up ie what is now the DART to Dun Laoghaire. Even the middle classes started to leave the inner city when the likes of Rathmines, Glasnevin and Drumcondra were built in the 1900s.

The working classes will be leaving soon too. It's too expensive now. Vulture funds are buying up apartments and raising rents so only people working for multinationals can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

fiachr_a wrote: »
    The working classes will be leaving soon too. It's too expensive now. Vulture funds are buying up apartments and raising rents so only people working for multinationals can afford.

Vulture funds are not buying these properties. They want 450 generic purpose built apartments in a single development. Not some butchered house from 1752 with massive maintenance costs and require huge amounts of renovations.

Working classes havent lived in these houses for generations. They are mainly non-nationals living in these apartments(well anyone I know who owns them tends to only get non-nationals wanting to live in them)

There is nothing wrong with gentrification. It is nice to see the end of the decline of the inner city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I'm not a resident there, but this guy has certainly been making news recently:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/dart-attack-man-on-bail-3261830-Feb2017/

He's a serial rapist who owns a place in Mountjoy Sq. and apparently the locals have all got together in an (unsuccessful) attempt to buy him out of the place.

Judge Melanie Greally has inexplicably decided to let him go free, to potentially rape again, while awaiting trial.

So good community spirit in trying to get the guy out of there, but not so good on the safety front, in that he is free to do as he pleases for the moment.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with gentrification. It is nice to see the end of the decline of the inner city.
    Of course there's nothing wrong but Dublin will consist of mainly non-national, professionals soon. The young, middle-class Irish who grew up in the capital will have to move to the midlands to purchase their own home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Of course there's nothing wrong but Dublin will consist of mainly non-national, professionals soon. The young, middle-class Irish who grew up in the capital will have to move to the midlands to purchase their own home.

Unsure I'm misinterpreting you or not but no point blaming Johnny Foreigner for being willing to slum it in tenement style boarding houses.

JF isn't buying in the main; they're renting & doing what Europeans are very much okay with.

We're too locked in to owning in comparison.

I'm 20 years renting this year & as a single man living alone I'm in no push or rush to buy.

You're not going to take it with you so why not rent rather than being tied down to one spot?

It makes you less flexible & therefore more unemployable too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Depending upon which side of Mountjoy Square the apartment is on, be aware of the Dublin Bus depot at the Southeast side which will have buses moving around all night as they are cleaned and refuelled - this will create noise that isn't there during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I lived on the square for 10 years but that was 10 years ago.

If you plan to have a car try get a good parking space and a alarm.

It was great for walking to the city & cinema etc. There is a lot of good things about the place which city living gives you.

It has the highest crime rate in Dublin. Dublin 1 etc. If you are street wise you will be fine.

Good luck. It was my 1st home away from family and I have lots of good memory's.

Advertisement