Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concrete stairs

• 28-02-2017 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys new to this so thanks in advance for your help.
    I have recently built a new house and now that it has come to finishing the concrete stairs with timber I think I have run into a problem.
    Our stairs is built in that is its like a alcove walls either side so no need for railings. I got a carpenter to look st the job which was to clad the stairs in timber.
    He suggested that we included a string either side to give a nice finish so we went with that,it's a loose enough arrangement as he's a neighbour. Toady he fitted the bottom half (it's a two level stairs landing half way up and then a 90 turn) now thus is where I need help my understanding would have been that the timber would be fired to each individual step but he arrived with stairs already assembled now tonight as I examined the job I see that the string had to shaved down to get the stairs to fit it as much as a quarter of an inch now when you look up the stairs the string is wider at the top than at the bottom. And it's like the stairs is fixed to the wall either side rather than to each individual step.
    Question is this how timber is fitted to a concrete stairs? Thanks for time reading this post. Hoping to avoid awkward conversation tomorrow!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Surely you made it clear at the outset. Complete stairs or cladded arrangement???

If he had to plane only 1/4" off the string to fit it. It sounds like a good fit. This small discrepancy

is easily covered up and lost with a suitable slip on the string. Stairs between walls is not an easy fit,

because walls are never parallel. Notice I said never, not seldom, but never.

If thats your only quiibble, give the chap a bonus.

Fixing through the string is the correct way to go in this instance, properly plugged ect

Advertisement