Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card for Temporary Residents?

Options
  • 28-02-2017 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm on a 2 year working holiday visa and am just wondering if anyone knows any companies who will give a credit card to temp residents? Lots of websites will only accept credit (not debit) cards here but most banks won't allow you to apply for one. I don't even need the credit facility, one where I could preload cash onto would be fine. Anyone know where I could get one? Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

There's multiple pre-paid credit cards around. I was able to get a real credit card off a bank but I had to pay a security deposit equal to the value of the card which I got back when I closed the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

TD, Scotiabank and most other banks will give you a secured card.

Try TD, I went into a branch looking for the 'Green Visa' $1k limit and was refused...then I just walked into another one, the branch at maple leaf square and they approved it no questions asked.

6 months later they offered me one of those aeroplan ones with ridiculously high limit so I took that too!

I know people who were refused though and just gave up. Keep trying different branches until you get an incompetent employee is my advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Haha thanks for the advice guys, I'll check some of those out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

We had no trouble getting a credit card from the royal bank of canada.

• Advertisement
Advertisement