Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trike/disabled

• 28-02-2017 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi All

I have a quick question , I'm a totally newbie to this side of boards , so apologises in advance if the question or lack of experience has taken me to the wrong place

I'm disabled but have a huge hunger for the wind in my hair, I'm mulling over a trike for the last few years and would probably need to sit down with a person to discuss design , the reason I'm thinking along design is I'm in a wheelchair and legs are gone , ideally id like to have it all automatic and able to drive chair on/in

is there people out there that can help ?

feel free to ask questions or to point me etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Something like this.......i'd rather go on an open top bus.......:)

Problem with these is the room required for the chair..they generally have a car back end...I'm sure theres better ones being built..17%20-%20PHOTO_13634880_29029_21139323_ap.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

I remember there being quite a few at the Bike Show in Birmingham a few years ago. There are definitely options for wheelchair accessible trikes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4665489.stm

Most of them are fugly imo...this looks decent tho...looks like a proper bike

HollandQuadster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Thats epic looking and great to see disabled people included in the biking world.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

Thanks people , i realised looking at the links that i really don't know how to use net! aside from my luddite awareness moment

is there workshops in Ireland that could chop and make a design dream come through?

• Advertisement

I'm only aware that theres a lad in wexford that makes up rear-end's for trikes....dont have his details...if you wanted something like the silver bike above i'm sure you'd be getting into 10's of thousands....you might be better off picking up a soft top car..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

http://www.nippi.co.uk

This link from the uk would give you a starting point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Trick with three wheelers is the two should be on the front
    Three wheelers with two front one back are great machines from the scooters up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mr chips

Think this guy is still trading, in Portadown Co. Armagh.
    http://www.diamondtrikes.co.uk/

I know he has done disability adaptations before - certainly helped a guy I knew stay on the road for several more years after the onset of a progressive condition made it impossible for him to stay on two wheels any more.  Dunno what your budget is though, or whether you already have a bike ready to convert to a trike - it's unlikely to be just a matter of a few hundred quid either way!

Do a search for Rewaco and also Boom Trikes.  I know a few owners of each marque, as well as a guy who has had one of each - he reckons Rewaco are better, but I can't vouch for that as I haven't had one myself.

If you have a collapsible wheelchair, it may be possible depending on your strength/mobility to get a rack adaptation so that you can straddle/sit into a more standard trike and store the wheelchair behind you.  Most things are possible, really.  Also, you don't need the hammerhead setup, it just needs to be built & balanced properly with the correct rake & trail etc.

HOWEVER!  Before you spend any money at all, you'll also need to investigate how easy/cheaply you can get insurance.  For a while, Carol Nash were possibly the only insurer who would provide cover for a trike in the ROI - I'm going back several years now that may have changed since, but you'd need to know the score there first.

Advertisement