Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping containers house - built costs

Options
  • 28-02-2017 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I just read this article in the Irish times that I found fascinating:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/seven-shipping-containers-become-a-family-home-1.2983804

An Irish couple built their house using 7 shipping containers in Ringsend. I still cannot get my head around the costs though: "To complete the ground work and the two floors to date has cost the Kelleys €300,000"

Do you think that that could be because the ground conditions were poor? IF that house was in a different location with easy access could it cost that much to build using containers?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mikelata wrote: »
    I just read this article in the Irish times that I found fascinating:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/seven-shipping-containers-become-a-family-home-1.2983804

An Irish couple built their house using 7 shipping containers in Ringsend. I still cannot get my head around the costs though: "To complete the ground work and the two floors to date has cost the Kelleys €300,000"

Do you think that that could be because the ground conditions were poor? IF that house was in a different location with easy access could it cost that much to build using containers?

Thanks

Ground conditions were perfect. The higher costs are due to the fact that Certification for the shipping containers is expensive, they were brand new and had to be for the Engineer to know the strength of them. This was the first one been built and it complies with out Building Regulations.

The next one may be cheaper as the contractor is aware of what's required and the certifiers are aware of what's ahead of them, but not much cheaper.

Also bespoke engineering solutions had to be done on site. He still has another floor to construct. It would have been way cheaper to build a traditional house but site constraints (shape) allowed for containers to fit perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

I see. thanks for the explanation

Advertisement